no image

West Lulworth, Dorset

Privacy Level: Public (Green)

Location: West Lulworth, Dorset, Englandmap
Surnames/tags: West_Lulworth Dorset
Profile manager: Martin White private message [send private message]
This page has been accessed 46 times.

Category: West Lulworth, Dorset

West Lulworth is a village and parish on the south-coast of Dorset.

See the West Lulworth One-Place Study [1] for parish register transcriptions (baptisms, marriages, burials) and census transcriptions (1841-1911) and other information.

The 1855 Post Office Directory contained the following information:

WEST LULWORTH, a parish in the liberty of Bindon, locally within the Hundred of Winfrith, 7½ miles south-west from Wareham, on the shore of the English Channel. The living is a curacy annexed to the rectory of Winfrith Newburgh. The church is a small structure, with nave, chancel, and low square tower. Lulworth Cove, in this parish, is a great natural curiosity; it communicates with the sea through a deep channel, and is surrounded with steep and lofty cliffs. The “Arched Rock,” about 1 mile from the cove, has an opening of about 20 feet, through which a view of the sea is obtained. Here is a coast-guard station, with a lieutenant and 10 men. The parish comprises about 3,240 acres, chiefly the property of Joseph Weld, Esq. The population of the parish, in 1851, was 401.


Resources





Collaboration


Comments

Leave a message for others who see this profile.
There are no comments yet.
Login to post a comment.