West_Main_Street_1_-Sugar_Bowl.jpg

1 West Main Street, Lancaster, New York (The Sugar Bowl)

Privacy Level: Open (White)
Date: [unknown] [unknown]
Location: [unknown]
This page has been accessed 699 times.



1 & 3 West Main street before 1950 often served as separate businesses but have often been combined into one since then

P. Thills owned the previous building on this site in 1855. The original land owner bought from the Holland Land Company in 1841. Little is known of the period between 1841 and 1855. Peter Diehl ran a saloon here in 1874. Records also show that a Mr. Bischof sold the saloon he operated here to Phillip Guetlich.

Record show that Mr. Peter Link bought this property from a Mr. Krim. The hall on the third floor was created with it's present mansard roof in 1892. After that it was operated by Mr. Link as an opera house, but it was soon eclipsed by the Town Hall's Opera House. Link's Opera House was also used as a public hall for a temperance society, the Lancaster Benevolent Association, Daughters of America, and other groups. Before the mansard roof there was a four sided peaked roof with four gables. In 1893 Mr. Link added a plate glass store front to the building. A two story verandah was added along the back of the building in 1901, originally the upper floors were operated as a hotel, but later Mr. Link converted these floors to apartments.

Link Leased the building to William Palmer who operated it as a saloon and pool room. After Palmer's death his saloon was sold to Mr. A.F. Pickard. Records show that Mr. Eberhardt had operated it in 1908.

There were a number of tenants in this building over the years. A partial list of tenants at 3 West Main includes: Charles Link ran a cigar store there before 1896, F.E. Conschafer Undertaker in 1896, Carlton Loomis Jewelry Store (later combined with J.M. Greis Musical Instrument Store) in 1897, Jacob Bloessers Shoe Store in 1898, Wannenmacker’s Jewelry Store 1899 to 1910, In 1905 a Louis Goldstein s Clothing Store was sold out, Burdick Stafford Electric 1916-20, the Citizen's National Bank in 1921, and the Dunham Hat Shoppe in 1925-27.

Number one was noted for housing the sugar Bowl which opened in 1911. “Most older residents will remember it as the Sugar Bowl as this was a very special place in the community. The Cretekos family made their wonderful candies there and also ran a soda fountain. “

A large two floor brick addition was made to the rear of this building by 1932. Later, Lancaster Pharmacy, Endicott Johnson Shoes, resided in this location.

Today this building is the home to Bloomsbury Lane Toy Shoppe.


United States Department of the Interior National Park Service National Register of Historic Places Central Avenue Historic District Erie County, New York

Section 7

https://cris.parks.ny.gov/Uploads/ViewDoc.aspx?mode=A&id=296325&q=false

1 West Main Street ca.1860s; altered ca. 1890 Contributing primary building

2 ½-story mansard-roof masonry building with Queen Anne and Italianate styling; stone foundation, asphalt shingle roof. Full width contemporary storefront with corrugated metal siding large plate glass windows, recessed contemporary entry door. Windows at 2nd story typically 1/1 wood sash double hung replacement units set within semicircular arched window openings with stone sills. Double wooden brackets at the cornice and flat roof dormers at mansard level with decorative wooden window casing and dentils. Southeast corner of building features turret at mansard level.

Traveling west on West Main Street on the North side is 5 West Main Street, "Peter's Drug Store"

Sources





Collaboration
  • Login to edit this profile and add images.
  • Private Messages: Send a private message to the Profile Manager. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
  • Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)


Comments

Leave a message for others who see this profile.
There are no comments yet.
Login to post a comment.