In the earlier wooden building at number 30, Andrew Koch’s Jewlry Store was located This early building was a small 1 1/2 floor wooden structure. This building had been owned by Mr. Stephens. He rented it to Mr. Seeger before the fire of 1897.
Delzer's Hardware moved to this site by 1893, and was here until the fire. The fire was centered in this building and Delzer's Hardware wound up in the basement. This happened despite the fact that the fire department put six streams of water on the blaze. It had started in the basement and was hard to get at from the outside due to there being two floors below street level.
This building also was salvaged and moved to Tannery Place. It was moved by J.M. Cockle to Kelley's lot.
In 1897 while the new Braun Block was still under construction the roof caught fire due to a gasoline stove that had been used to heat tar for the roof. Workmen tried to carry the blazing pail of gasoline down the stairs inside the building, but were forced to throw it out a back window into the creek. At least they managed to put the roof fire out by themselves.
The Western New York Post of a lodge was located here in 1914
This part of the Braun Block housed a liquor store from the 1930's to the 1950's
|30 & 32 West Main Street|