Location: Mangere, Auckland
Surnames/tags: Cemeteries New_Zealand
Westney Methodist Church Cemetery
The Westney Road Methodist Church was built in 1856 on Allotment 60 of the Parish of Manurewa, and owned by William Westney Snr who later gifted the land at the corner of Westney Road & Ihumatao Road in 1876. The road that the church and cemetery were on was called Westney Road, but was later changed to George Bolt Memorial Drive (due to roading changes). Many graves have been moved to the Mangere Lawn Cemetery or elsewhere due to the expansion of the airport.
Profiles of those interred may have two categories reflecting their first interment and transfer to a new cemetery.
The Abbeville Farm Estate in Nixon Rd is an 11ha area of pasture and mature trees housing heritage buildings including the 1855 Westney Homestead, an 1850s barn and the 1856 Westney Methodist church. For more than a century, the distinctive little white wooden church stood alone at the intersection of George Bolt Memorial Drive and Ihumatao Rd, on the road to the airport. It was shifted in 2007 to prepare for further airport development, including a northern runway.
History and movement of Westney Methodist Church, Mangere
- Built in 1856, enlarged 1887, vestry added 1918.
- Shifted three times in four years.
- Moved off main airport road in 2007.
- Temporarily sited in a gully on airport land.
- Now at Abbeville Farm Estate.
- Part of new heritage venue opened in March 2011.
- The Church by the Airport - information on Westney Methodist Church and cemetery
- Find-a-Grave - This has 6 records
New Zealand Cemeteries Team
This page is maintained by the New Zealand Cemeteries Team, who are part of the Global Cemeteries Project (and the Oceania Cemeteries Team). The aim is is to document the final resting place of those buried in New Zealand, to ensure that each cemetery has its own free-space page, which is linked to the category structure for Global Cemeteries, and that those buried in them are also gathered in the correct category.
- Currently there are 3 profiles listed on Wikitree for this cemetery, which is well short of the number of interments. Findagrave has 6 entries, and Billion Graves has x. Irwin-2099 20:28, 21 May 2019 (UTC)
The overall progress of this endeavour will be found on the NZ Cemeteries Team Progress page.