upload image

Westwood Road Farms

Privacy Level: Open (White)
Date: 1830 to 1950
Location: Alden, New Yorkmap
Profile manager: Michael Nuwer private message [send private message]
This page has been accessed 376 times.


The history of farms on
Westwood Road, Alden, New York

This page presents information and stories about farm families who lived on Westwood Road in Alden, New York during the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries.

The first parcel of land on Westwood Road in Alden used for farming was acquired in late 1836. Gideon Kendrick purchased 50 acres from the Holland Land Company in lot number 36 for $292 on December 13, 1836. Kendrick worked that farm for twenty years. In 1837 the Holland Company sold no parcels on Westwood Road and in 1838 land speculators were the only buyers. Daniel H. Chandlar, Walter Seymour, and Orlando Allen were among the speculators of Westwood Road land. Farming on Westwood Road began in earnest in the 1840s.

The Town of Alden was established by an act of the New York State legislature in 1823. Alden land north of the Buffalo Creek Indian reservation was surveyed by the Holland Land Company using their second survey system. A normal survey lot would be three-fourths of a mile square and would thereby contain 360 acres of land. The lots could then be sold in parcels to suit purchasers. Of course, variations from the normal number of acres would arise due to streams, lakes, and other boundaries, both natural and artificial. (Henry Perry Smith, History of the city of Buffalo and Erie County, (1884), pp. 77-79)

In the early 1830s a number of New York City firms were interested in the Holland Land Company’s unsold lands, and the Company began to liquidate its business interests in western New York. One of the interested firms was the Farmers Land & Trust Company. In 1835 this firm purchased about 89,000 acres of land from the Holland Company in Niagara, Erie, Orleans and Genesee Counties. Payments were completed in the summer of 1838 and the Holland Company’s interests were closed in these four counties. (Paul D. Evans, The Holland Land Company (1924), pp. 393, 422-423.) Most of the land on Westwood road would be sold by the Farmers Land & Trust Company.

The western part of Alden is level land and in the nineteenth century the soil was very fertile. Lancaster, which is the town directly west, is similarly a level surface with fertile soil. Westwood Road extends from Pavement Road in Lancaster to Sandridge Road in Alden and cuts through the center of the most fertile land in these two towns. Town Line Road, which runs north and south, forms the boundary between Alden and Lancaster.

The stories presented here were written by Michael Nuwer, whose father lived on Westwood road between 1935 and 1955. His grandfather and great grandfather were both Westwood residents and farmers.

Lots on Westwood Road.
Ownership details by Lot
Lot 49 Lot 43 Lot 37 Lot 31
Lot 48 Lot 42 Lot 36 Lot 30
The data here include farms on Westwood Road. Currently data is up to 1880.
1880 Lot maps

Genealogies
Names of People. Heads of household who operated a farm on the Alden segment of Westwood Road. Spouses may also be included in the list.

Resources

Stories
John Roll and George Roll 200 acres lots 43 and 36 1867-1925
Sebastian Gundy and Stephan Kagler 63 acres lots 43 1846-1874
William Jehle and Theresia Nuwer 63 acres lots 43 1874-1912
John G. Nuwer and Henry C. Nuwer 125 acres lots 36, 42, 49, and 43 1878-1960s
Joseph Anstett 200 acres lots 37 & 36 1864-1960s
Joseph Girard 50 acres lots 36 1857-1908
Frank Staebell 40 acres lots 36 1848-1950s










Collaboration
  • Login to edit this profile and add images.
  • Private Messages: Send a private message to the Profile Manager. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
  • Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)


Comments

Leave a message for others who see this profile.
There are no comments yet.
Login to post a comment.