Things I have learned while doing genealogy on WikiTree:
Once in a while I have a realization or an insight, and it seemed prudent to write them down. So, here goes:
- When I started, it was all about the names, dates, and relationships. But now, when possible, I want to understand how the family lived, and what they went through. This requires all of the documentation possible.
- Things are not always as they seem. Find the proof!
- It doesn't hurt to take a break from a profile or a family for a while. When you come back to it, you may have:
- A fresh perspective. Sometimes you say, "What was I thinking?"
- New insights.
- Better skills.
- Better information.
- More connections!
- Search individual census years, sometime narrowed by locale.
To move first to last name in a spreadsheet: