Surnames/tags: Wheelock Whitlock Whillock
How to Join
Please contact the project leader M Cole or post a comment to the right. If you have any questions, just ask. Thanks!
This is a One Name Study to collect together in one place everything about one surname and the variants of that name. The hope is that other researchers like you will join our study to help make it a valuable reference point for people studying lines that cross or intersect.
- Wheelock Genealogy website - managed by Rick Sullivan, with a focus on Wheelock's in North America, mostly descendants of Ralph Wheelock
- Wheelock One-Name Study - site of the official One Name Studies Guild project.
- Descendants of Rev. Ralph Wheelock Facebook Group
- FamilyTreeDNA Wheelock Surname Project
Wheelock Family Groups (Draft)
- Descendants of Ralph Wheelock. (Considering breaking this down by his children).
- Wheelock Families in England (Abraham Wheelock, Hugh Wheelock)
- Wheelock's from Ireland (Includes Charles Wheelock William Wheelock, Samuel Wheelock, Charles James Wheelock Are they descended from a single ancestor, and what is their relationship to English Wheelocks?)
- Wheelock/Whillock in the Southern U.S. (settled in Washington Co, TN. (Based on current DNA evidence, the appears to be genetically unrelated to the Ralph Wheelock family). See John Wheelock.
- Oneida Nation Wheelocks, see James A. Wheelock
- Wheelocks of African American Heritage (See Henry Wheelock)
Unknown Wheelocks in early North America (Born before 1800)
These families are likely descendants of Ralph Wheelock, but the connection is not known.
- Possible sons of Abner Wheelock and Mary Brown:
- Possible sons of Stephen Wheelock and Lucretia Newton:
- Daniel Wheelock (1768 -1842) - supposedly the son of Daniel Wheelock and Beulah Albee, possibly and out of wedlock birth.]]
- Ebenezer H. Wheelock of Cambridge, born 1796 in MA or RI. Possibly the son of Eleazer Wheelock and Polly Benson of Sturbridge or Phyletus Wheelock and Avis Handy of Uxbridge & Rhode Island- Probably son of Phyletus
- Elias Wheelock (1794-1875) m Sarah Wood - Illegitimate son of Abigail Keith and Elias Wheelock.
- Sally Wheelock b. 1796 VT, wife of Orra Wilder
- Lucretia Wheelock Sherwin
- Phineas Wheelock b c 1790 - father of Obadiah Wheelock of Philadelphia. Possibly son of Jesse Wheelock
- Nabbe Wheelock of Uxbridge m Joseph Torry of Mendon (14 December 1788)
- Obadiah Wheelock of Upton and Grafton, Worcester Co, MA
- Capt. Obediah Wheelock d 1822 Ft. Edwards, NY, Veteran, probably 1812 War, owner of a mill in Ft. Edwards, NY
- Obadiah Wheelock of Boston, a sprititualist who wrote a 29 page letter to Senator Charles Sumner in support of a pension for Mary Todd Lincoln, Abraham Lincoln's widow.
- Gideon Wheelock b. 1776, d. 1844 in Illinois.
- Betsy Wheelock b 1783 wife of Eli Douglas of Stephentown, NY
- Eunice Wheelock of Leominster married Eliphalet Warren of Waltham in 1794
Later unconnected Wheelocks
- New Brunswick Wheelocks - Solomon D Wheelock, David Clifford Wheelock
- Wheelock/Schoonhoven families of NY/PA. See Bethany Wheelock and Ezra Wheelock
- Benjamin H. Wheelock b. 1805 (Connected! Son of Jotham Wheelock and Relief Harris}
- Jefferson Wheelock abt 1809 - abt May 1859, Schenectady, NY
- Possible descendants if Levi & Waitsill Wheelock: The following two unconnected Wheelocks have evidence suggesting they are from this branch. They also have descendants that share a 20cm atDNA segment. A descendant of Mary (Wheelock) Cheney, Levi's sister, also shares the same segment.
- Hannah Wheelock wife of Eilliot Alton. b abt 1794 in Massachusetts, moved to Jefferson County, New York, then Nauvoo, Illinois. Possibly Hannah, daughter of Levi & Waitsitll Wheelock
- Maryette Wheelock wife of Louis St. Ores, b 1821, NY (possibly the daughter of William Wheelock, son of Levi & Waitsitll Wheelock.
- Maria Jane Wheelock wife of Henry Smith b. 1822 NY lived in Pewaukee, Wisconsin.
- Ithamer Wheelock b 1805 MA -1867 OH. Possibly grandson of Samuel Wheelock and Hannah Ammidown. (son Ithamer is a good candidate for his father.
- Miranda Wheelock wife of Moses Hazen White b 1822 Batavia, NY
- Joel Wheelock - Connected! almost certainly the son of Joel Wheelock of Shrewsbury/New Ispwisch.
- Frankford Wheelock of Rochester, NY (c 1812-1846)
- Almena Wheelock Clifford d/o Polly (unknown) Wheelock
- Mary Jane Wheelock d/o Jefferson Wheelock and Sophia Hill b c 1849, Winchester, NH, w/o Warren Estey. unclear which Jefferson Wheelock she is the daughter of
- Mary Wheelock b 1831, Massachusetts wife of Peter Coalson. Lived in Elbridge and Auburn, NY.
- John A. Wheelock (1822-1853), born in NY, the son of Ruth Witherell and Unknown Wheelock. Married Julia unknown. Mother remarried to Joshua Kirkham. Could be the son of Obadiah Wheelock who died in 1822.
Unconnected: Given names
- Arthur Wheelock Moulton - Massachusetts. Online trees do not show an obvious Wheelock connection for a couple of generations
- George Wheelock Ward - Massachusetts
- Seymour Wheelock Merriman - Massachusetts
- Alonzo Wheelock Sutherland - Otsego Co, NY, Parents b in VT
- Sumner Wheelock Lasell - Vermont
- John Wheelock Willey b 1797 New Hampshire - First mayor of Cleveland
- Wheelock Graves Veazey b 1835, New Hampshire
- Anson Wheelock Veazey - New Hampshire
- John Wheelock Elliot - New Hampshire
- Timothy Wheelock Joslin - New Hampshire
- Artemas Wheelock Clark - PEI, anada
- Constant Wheelock Phillips - Nova Scotia, Canada
- Robert Wheelock Ells - Nova Scotia, Canada
- Marynard Wheelock Porter - Nova Scotia, Canada
- Wheelock Wood - Nova Scotia, Canada
- George Wheelock Burbidge - Nova Scotia, Canada
- James Wheelock Rilpley Farrington - Maine
- Ripley Eleazer Wheelock Adams - Maine
- Wheelock Corey b 1826 New Jersey
- Ashbel Wheelock Corey (1789-1839) New Jersey
- Dean Wheelock "Wheelie" Harris - New England & Canada roots
- Rachel Wheelock (Brewster) Morduff - Probaby a connection to Rachel Armstrong who married Alpheus Wheelock and lived in Oneida County, NY
- Wheelock M. Salisbury - see above. Salisbury family was connected to the Alpheus Wheelock family.
- Wheelock B. Musselman born in Ohio - parents in Pennsylvania
- Thomas Wheelock Cave - Philadelphia,Pennsylvania
- Sherman Wheelock McLeish - path seems to run to Tennessee, possibly connected to Tennessee Wheelocks
- Albert Wheelock Dunn - May be a recent English immigrant
- Mary Wheelock Eyres - Australia
- Georgiana Wheelock Hall - Bahamas
- Joseph Wheelock Daniels
- Harold Wheelock Fletcher - maybe recent immigrants, maybe NH
- Mary Wheelock Forbes -Connect to Polley Wheelock Forbes > John Sanborn Forbes m. Persis Gibson Bowman
- Wheelock O. Stone - named after his mother's half-brother Obadiah Wheelock. Not a direct Wheelock descendant
- Manning Wheelock Dyer -probably named after great-uncle by marriage, not a direct Wheelock descendant
- Eleazer Wheelock Snow named for his father's mentor Eleazer Wheelock of Dartmouth College. No known blood relationship.
- Wheelock Snow Bowen - Canada probably named after Eleazer Wheelock Snow, and not a Wheelock blood relative.
- Wheelock Mosher (1814-1839) lived in Maine. Son of Elijah Mosher and Sarah Whitehouse. Elijah was born in Dartmouth, possibly named after Elezeazer Wheelock.
- Jesse Wheelock Baker, Sr.- New Brunswick, Canada - likely named after his uncle by marriage, Jesse Wheelock, husband of Sophronia Rice - not a Wheelock blood relative.
- Hannah Wheelock Sargent - actually Wheeler, not Wheelock. Corrected. But mistake is common.
- Henry Wheelock Allen b 1908 name at birth was Onion, changed legally in 1920 along with parents. Connect to main tree as follows: Ephraim Wheelock>Gershom Wheelock>Thomas Prentice Wheelock>Ellen Augusta Wheelock m. James Percival Abbott> Marion Abbott m. Leonard W. Onion.
- Prentice Wheelock Abbott - son of Ellen Augusta Wheelock
- Wheelock G. Whitman - descendant of Abel Wheelock of Nova Scotia - connected
- John Wheelock Hammond -descendant of Mercy/Mary Wheelock Bingham - connected
- George Wheelock Mayo - Massachusetts names after great uncle by marriage, George Wheelock, husband of Roxana Mayo. Not related by blood to Wheelocks
DNA Project Goals
- Find mtDNA donors to resolve the question of who Abiah Wheelock married. We would need maternal descendants of Abial () Albee, Abial (Wheelock) Ward and Elizabeth (Bullen) Wheelock (or descendants of maternal line cousins).
- Y-DNA donors who are descendants from Ralph Wheelock's sons other than Benjamin, namely Gershom, or Eleazar. [Samuel's line has no descendants on the paternal line], and another Benjamin descendant from a different son.
- Y-DNA donors for unknown Wheelock lines, or lines in England, Ireland, and South America.
- Identify all Wheelocks in Wikitree unconnected to Ralph Wheelock, and group them,
- Create Categories for Family Groups
- Create and Categorize Wheelocks in New York state prior to 1840. (This seems to be a common brick wall for Wheelock families in America)
- Recruit additional participants for the FamilyTreeDNA project to help solve unknown or disputed connections (such as whether Abiel Wheelock married Joseph Ward or Benjamin Albee).
- Look at other one name studies, and look at how they use atDNA and other websites.
- Login to edit this profile and add images.
- Private Messages: Send a private message to the Profile Manager. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)
On 14 Aug 2017 at 05:57 GMT Liz (Noland) Shifflett wrote: