Surnames/tags: Wheelock Whitlock Whillock
How to Join
Please contact the project leader M Cole or leave a comment at the foot of the page. If you have any questions, just ask. Thanks!
This is a One Name Study to collect together in one place everything about one surname and the variants of that name. The hope is that other researchers like you will join our study to help make it a valuable reference point for people studying lines that cross or intersect.
- Wheelock Genealogy website - managed by Rick Sullivan, with a focus on Wheelock's in North America, mostly descendants of Ralph Wheelock
- Wheelock One-Name Study - site of the official One Name Studies Guild project.
- Descendants of Rev. Ralph Wheelock Facebook Group
- FamilyTreeDNA Wheelock Surname Project
- Berkshire County - Northern District Deeds (Grantees) 1761-1985
- Berkshire County (Middle District) 1761-1830 Grantees
- Berkshire County (Middle District) 1761-1830 Grantors
- Berkshire County (Southern District) Grantors - 1790-1824
- Berkshire County (Southern District) Grantees - 1790-1824
- Bristol County Deed Index (Grantees) 1686-1795
- Bristol County Deed Index (Grantors) 1686-1795
- Franklin County Deeds (Grantee) Index 1787-1889
- Franklin County Deeds (Grantor) Index 1787-1889
- Hampden County -Grantees Index 1636-1800, 1800-1849
- Hampden County -Grantors Index 1636-1800, 1800-1849
- Hampshire County Deeds (Grantor) Index 1787-1986
- Hampshire County Deeds (Grantee) Index 1787-1986
- Middlesex County Middlesex County Deeds (Grantee) Index 1639-1799
- Middlesex County Deeds (Grantor) Index 1639-1799
- Norfolk County Deed index (grantor) 1793-1849
- Norfolk County Deed index (grantee) 1793-1889
- Suffolk County Deed index (grantee) 1639-1799
- Suffolk County Deed index (grantor) 1639-1799
- Worcester County Deed index (grantee) 1731-1839 or on Wheelock Genealogy website.
- Worcester County Deed index (grantor) 1731-1839
Wheelock Family Groups (Draft)
- Descendants of Ralph Wheelock. (Considering breaking this down by his children).
- Wheelock Families in England (Abraham Wheelock, Hugh Wheelock)
- Wheelock's from Ireland (Includes Charles Wheelock William Wheelock, Samuel Wheelock, Charles James Wheelock Are they descended from a single ancestor, and what is their relationship to English Wheelocks?)
- Wheelock/Whillock in the Southern U.S. (settled in Washington Co, TN. (Based on current DNA evidence, the appears to be genetically unrelated to the Ralph Wheelock family). See John Wheelock.
- Oneida Nation Wheelocks, see James A. Wheelock
- Wheelocks of African American Heritage (See Henry Wheelock)
These individuals and families have a working theory, and are attached to their parents with "uncertain status." Definitive proof of their origins are still needed.
- Possible sons of Abner Wheelock and Mary Brown:
- Possible sons of Stephen Wheelock and Lucretia Newton:
- Possible sons of Jesse Wheelock and Abigail Lovitt
- Daniel Wheelock (1768 -1842) - supposedly the son of Daniel Wheelock and Beulah Albee, possibly and out of wedlock birth.]]
- Ebenezer H. Wheelock of Cambridge, born 1796 in MA or RI. Possibly the son of Eleazer Wheelock and Polly Benson of Sturbridge or Phyletus Wheelock and Avis Handy of Uxbridge & Rhode Island- Probably son of Phyletus
- Elias Wheelock (1794-1875) m Sarah Wood - Illegitimate son of Abigail Keith and Elias Wheelock.
- Sally Wheelock b. 1796 VT, wife of Orra Wilder
- Gideon Wheelock b. 1776, d. 1844 in Illinois.
- Possible descendants if Levi & Waitsill Wheelock: The following two unconnected Wheelocks have evidence suggesting they are from this branch. They also have descendants that share a 20cm atDNA segment. A descendant of Mary (Wheelock) Cheney, Levi's sister, also shares the same segment.
- Hannah Wheelock wife of Eilliot Alton. b abt 1794 in Massachusetts, moved to Jefferson County, New York, then Nauvoo, Illinois. Possibly Hannah, daughter of Levi & Waitsitll Wheelock
- Maryette Wheelock wife of Louis St. Ores, b 1821, NY (possibly the daughter of William Wheelock, son of Levi & Waitsitll Wheelock.
- Wheelock/Schoonhoven families of NY/PA. See Bethany Wheelock and Ezra Wheelock. Possibly related to Gideon Wheelock - burials in same cemetery.
Unknown Wheelocks in early North America (Born before 1800)
These families are likely descendants of Ralph Wheelock, but the connection is not known.
- Josiah Wheelock m. Lucy Waters 16 Oct 1796, Sutton, Massachusetts
- Lucretia Wheelock Sherwin - connected pending merge. (Actually Lucretia Smith widow of Oliver Wheelock).
- Nabbe Wheelock of Uxbridge m Joseph Torry of Mendon (14 December 1788) - Connected. Daughter of Jesse Wheelock and Phebe White.
- Capt. Obediah Wheelock d 1822 Ft. Edwards, NY, Veteran, probably 1812 War, owner of a mill in Ft. Edwards, NY
- Obadiah Wheelock of Boston, a sprititualist who wrote a 29 page letter to Senator Charles Sumner in support of a pension for Mary Todd Lincoln, Abraham Lincoln's widow.
- Betsy Wheelock b 1783 wife of Eli Douglas of Stephentown, NY - 'Connected - daughter of John Wheelock and Dorothy Wilder]]
- Eunice Wheelock of Leominster married Eliphalet Warren of Waltham in 1794
- Dorothy Wheelock of Leominster
- Doctor Samuel Wheelock of Seekonk m. Harriet B. Allen of North Providence (or Hartford) August 21, 1814
- Daniel Wheelock of Dorchester, married Sally Gilson 1812 in Dunstable,MA (2 children) died before 1818
- Daniel Wheelock, Jr. b abt 1781 d 28 Jul 1817 Glocester, Rhode Island
- Rebecca Wheelock m. John Bailey 8 Nov 1797 NH & Betsey Wheelock who m. Isaac Bailey in 1789. Bailey's were brothers born in Lunenburg who located to Jaffrey, NH.
- [[Wheelock-2007|Sally Wheelock] m James Hallowell in Ware, Massachusetts. (Possibly daughter of Gideon Wheelock and Sarah Forbush). Confirmed by deeds: D/o Gideon
- Elijah Wheelock b about 1777  d 26 Mar 1813, Walpole, Cheshire Co, NH
- Elizabeth Wheelock m Joseph Daby/Darby 11 May 1761 in Leominster. d. 24 Dec 1803
- Lincoln Wheelock b 1809 of Orange, Massachusetts and Swanzey, NH.
Later unconnected Wheelocks
- New Brunswick Wheelocks - Solomon D Wheelock, David Clifford Wheelock
- Nova Scotia: Obadiah Wilson "Wilson" Wheelock b abt 1836, lived in Maitland, Hants, Nova Scotia m Susan Smith of Nova Scotia in Portland, MI in 1862.
- Benjamin H. Wheelock b. 1805 (Connected! Son of Jotham Wheelock and Relief Harris}
- Jefferson Wheelock abt 1809 - abt May 1859, Schenectady, NY
- Maria Jane Wheelock wife of Henry Smith b. 1822 NY lived in Pewaukee, Wisconsin.
- Ithamer Wheelock b 1805 MA -1867 OH. Possibly grandson of Samuel Wheelock and Hannah Ammidown. (son Ithamer is a good candidate for his father.
- Miranda Wheelock wife of Moses Hazen White b 1822 Batavia, NY
- Joel Wheelock - Connected! almost certainly the son of Joel Wheelock of Shrewsbury/New Ispwisch.
- Frankford Wheelock of Rochester, NY (c 1812-1846)
- Almena (Wheelock) Clifford d/o Polly (unknown) Wheelock - identified, probably wife of Phineas Wheelock. Daughter Almena was from first marriage to a Seeley (so not a Wheelock. Profile has been merged).
- Mary Jane Wheelock d/o Jefferson Wheelock and Sophia Hill b c 1849, Winchester, NH, w/o Warren Estey. unclear which Jefferson Wheelock she is the daughter of
- Mary Wheelock b 1831, Massachusetts wife of Peter Coalson. Lived in Elbridge and Auburn, NY.
- John A. Wheelock (1822-1853), born in NY, the son of Ruth Witherell and Unknown Wheelock. Married Julia unknown. Mother remarried to Joshua Kirkham. Could be the son of Obadiah Wheelock who died in 1822.
- Virgil Wheelock- born about 1833, probably in Pennsylvania. Possibly the Son of Daniel, and grandson of Eseck Wheelock. Virgil was orphaned and according to family lore "farmed out" to neighbors.
- Daniel Wheelock b about 1817, husband of Mary Brown.
- William Wheelock, b abt 1805 in N Dansville, NY in 1850 Census. Clothier with Oliver B Johnson and wife Lodema Jennings. OB Johnson was from Ontario county and was also a clothier.
- Relief Wheelock m Willis Wilder http://www.wheelockgenealogy.com/ralphdsc/d0006/g0000050.html#I4856
- Edward C Wheelock, painter of Boston, b c 1816 Massachusetts, m Sarah Orcutt, 1865 death record says he was born in Salem, son of Ichabod and Sarah.
Unconnected: Given names
- Arthur Wheelock Moulton - Massachusetts. -Wheelock Connection found!
- George Wheelock Ward - Massachusetts
- Seymour Wheelock Merriman - Massachusetts
- Alonzo Wheelock Sutherland - Otsego Co, NY, Parents b in VT
- Sumner Wheelock Lasell - Vermont
- John Wheelock Willey b 1797 New Hampshire - First mayor of Cleveland
- Wheelock Graves Veazey b 1835, New Hampshire
- Anson Wheelock Veazey - New Hampshire
- John Wheelock Elliot - New Hampshire
- Timothy Wheelock Joslin - New Hampshire
- Artemas Wheelock Clark - PEI, anada
- Constant Wheelock Phillips - Nova Scotia, Canada
- Robert Wheelock Ells - Nova Scotia, Canada
- Marynard Wheelock Porter - Nova Scotia, Canada
- Wheelock Wood - Nova Scotia, Canada
- George Wheelock Burbidge - Nova Scotia, Canada
- James Wheelock Rilpley Farrington - Maine
- Ripley Eleazer Wheelock Adams - Maine
- Wheelock Corey b 1826 New Jersey
- Ashbel Wheelock Corey (1789-1839) New Jersey
- Dean Wheelock "Wheelie" Harris - New England & Canada roots
- Rachel Wheelock (Brewster) Morduff - Probaby a connection to Rachel Armstrong who married Alpheus Wheelock and lived in Oneida County, NY
- Wheelock M. Salisbury - see above. Salisbury family was connected to the Alpheus Wheelock family.
- Wheelock B. Musselman born in Ohio - parents in Pennsylvania
- Thomas Wheelock Cave - Philadelphia,Pennsylvania
- Sherman Wheelock McLeish - path seems to run to Tennessee, possibly connected to Tennessee Wheelocks
- Albert Wheelock Dunn - May be a recent English immigrant
- Mary Wheelock Eyres - Australia
- Georgiana Wheelock Hall - Bahamas
- Joseph Wheelock Daniels
- Harold Wheelock Fletcher - maybe recent immigrants, maybe NH
- Mary Wheelock Forbes -Connect to Polley Wheelock Forbes > John Sanborn Forbes m. Persis Gibson Bowman
- Wheelock O. Stone - named after his mother's half-brother Obadiah Wheelock. Not a direct Wheelock descendant
- Manning Wheelock Dyer -probably named after great-uncle by marriage, not a direct Wheelock descendant
- Eleazer Wheelock Snow named for his father's mentor Eleazer Wheelock of Dartmouth College. No known blood relationship.
- Wheelock Snow Bowen - Canada probably named after Eleazer Wheelock Snow, and not a Wheelock blood relative.
- Wheelock Mosher (1814-1839) lived in Maine. Son of Elijah Mosher and Sarah Whitehouse. Elijah was born in Dartmouth, possibly named after Elezeazer Wheelock.
- Jesse Wheelock Baker, Sr.- New Brunswick, Canada - likely named after his uncle by marriage, Jesse Wheelock, husband of Sophronia Rice - not a Wheelock blood relative.
- Hannah Wheelock Sargent - actually Wheeler, not Wheelock. Corrected. But mistake is common.
- Henry Wheelock Allen b 1908 name at birth was Onion, changed legally in 1920 along with parents. Connect to main tree as follows: Ephraim Wheelock>Gershom Wheelock>Thomas Prentice Wheelock>Ellen Augusta Wheelock m. James Percival Abbott> Marion Abbott m. Leonard W. Onion.
- Prentice Wheelock Abbott - son of Ellen Augusta Wheelock
- Wheelock G. Whitman - descendant of Abel Wheelock of Nova Scotia - connected
- John Wheelock Hammond -descendant of Mercy/Mary Wheelock Bingham - connected
- George Wheelock Mayo - Massachusetts names after great uncle by marriage, George Wheelock, husband of Roxana Mayo. Not related by blood to Wheelocks
- Wheelock R. Eddy
DNA Project Goals
- Find mtDNA donors to resolve the question of who Abiah Wheelock married. We would need maternal descendants of Abial () Albee, Abial (Wheelock) Ward and Elizabeth (Bullen) Wheelock (or descendants of maternal line cousins).
- Y-DNA donors who are descendants from Ralph Wheelock's sons other than Benjamin, namely Gershom, or Eleazar. [Samuel's line has no descendants on the paternal line], and another Benjamin descendant from a different son.
- Y-DNA donors descended from Daniel Wheelock, and/or son Eseck Wheelock for comparison for descendants of Daniel Wheelock, reputed son of Bulah Albee and Virgil Wheelock.
- Y-DNA donors from male line descendants of Jonathan Wheelock , of Moline, Illinois, who married Sophia Hastings, to compare against Y-DNA from male descendants of one of Jonathan's presumed uncles, Humphrey Wheelock, or Lemuel Wheelock. A positive match would support the theory that Jonathan (b. 1806) was the son of Jonathan Wheelock (b. 1779 in Warwick, Ma) who married Prudence Smith.
- Y-DNA donors for unknown Wheelock lines, or lines in England, Ireland, and South America.
- Identify all Wheelocks in Wikitree unconnected to Ralph Wheelock, and group them,
- Create Categories for Family Groups
- Create and Categorize Wheelocks in New York state prior to 1840. (This seems to be a common brick wall for Wheelock families in America)
- Recruit additional participants for the FamilyTreeDNA project to help solve unknown or disputed connections (such as whether Abiel Wheelock married Joseph Ward or Benjamin Albee).
- Look at other one name studies, and look at how they use atDNA and other websites.