Surnames/tags: Wheelock Whitlock Whillock
How to Join
Please contact the project leader M Cole or post a comment to the right. If you have any questions, just ask. Thanks!
This is a One Name Study to collect together in one place everything about one surname and the variants of that name. The hope is that other researchers like you will join our study to help make it a valuable reference point for people studying lines that cross or intersect.
- Wheelock Genealogy website - managed by Rick Sullivan, with a focus on Wheelock's in North America, mostly descendants of Ralph Wheelock
- Wheelock One-Name Study - site of the official One Name Studies Guild project.
- Descendants of Rev. Ralph Wheelock Facebook Group
- FamilyTreeDNA Wheelock Surname Project
Wheelock Family Groups (Draft)
- Descendants of Ralph Wheelock. (Considering breaking this down by his children).
- Wheelock Families in England (Abraham Wheelock, Hugh Wheelock)
- Wheelock's from Ireland (Includes Charles Wheelock William Wheelock, Samuel Wheelock. Are they descended from a single ancestor, and what is their relationship to English Wheelocks?)
- Wheelock/Whillock in the Southern U.S. (settled in Washington Co, TN. (Based on current DNA evidence, the appears to be genetically unrelated to the Ralph Wheelock family). See John Wheelock.
- Oneida Nation Wheelocks, see James A. Wheelock
- Wheelocks of African American Heritage (See Henry Wheelock)
Unknown Wheelocks in early North America (Born before 1800)
These families are likely descendants of Ralph Wheelock, but the connection is not known.
- Possible sons of Abner Wheelock and Mary Brown:
- Possible sons of Stephen Wheelock and Lucretia Newton:
- Daniel Wheelock (1768 -1842)
- Elias Wheelock (1794-1875) m Sarah Wood - Illegitimate son of Abigail Keith
- Ebenezer Wheelock born 1796.
- Sally Wheelock b. 1796 VT, wife of Orra Wilder
- Lucretia Wheelock Sherwin
- Phineas Wheelock b c 1790 - father of Obadiah Wheelock.
- Nabbe Wheelock of Uxbridge m Joseph Torry of Mendon (14 December 1788)
- Obadiah Wheelock of Upton and Grafton, Worcester Co, MA
- Capt. Obediah Wheelock d 1822 Ft. Edwards, NY, 1812 Veteran
Later unconnected Wheelocks
- New Brunswick Wheelocks - Solomon D Wheelock, David Clifford Wheelock
- Wheelock/Schoonhoven families of NY/PA. See Bethany Wheelock and Ezra Wheelock
- Benjamin H. Wheelock b. 1805 (Connected! Son of Jotham Wheelock and Relief Harris}
- Possible descendants if Levi & Waitsill Wheelock: The following two unconnected Wheelocks have evidence suggesting they are from this branch. They also have descendants that share a 20cm atDNA segment. A descendant of Mary (Wheelock) Cheney, Levi's sister, also shares the same segment.
- Hannah Wheelock wife of Eilliot Alton. b abt 1794 in Massachusetts, moved to Jefferson County, New York, then Nauvoo, Illinois. Possibly [[Wheelock-787|Hannah], daughter of Levi & Waitsitll Wheelock
- Maryette Wheelock wife of Louis St. Ores, b 1821, NY (possibly the daughter of William Wheelock, son of Levi & Waitsitll Wheelock.
- Maria Jane Wheelock Smith b. 1822 NY
- Ithamer Wheelock b 1805 MA -1867 OH. Possibly grandson of Samuel Wheelock and Hannah Ammidown. (son Ithamer is a good candidate for his father.
- Miranda Wheelock wife of Moses Hazen White b 1822 Batavia, NY
- Joel Wheelock - Connected! almost certainly the son of Joel Wheelock of Shrewsbury/New Ispwisch.
- Frankford Wheelock of Rochester, NY (c 1812-1846)
- Almena Wheelock Clifford d/o Polly (unknown) Wheelock
DNA Project Goals
- Find mtDNA donors to resolve the question of who Abiah Wheelock married. We would need maternal descendants of Abial () Albee, Abial (Wheelock) Ward and Elizabeth (Bullen) Wheelock (or descendants of maternal line cousins).
- Y-DNA donors who are descendants from Ralph Wheelock's sons other than Benjamin, namely Gershom, or Eleazar. [Samuel's line has no descendants on the paternal line], and another Benjamin descendant from a different son.
- Y-DNA donors for unknown Wheelock lines, or lines in England, Ireland, and South America.
- Identify all Wheelocks in Wikitree unconnected to Ralph Wheelock, and group them,
- Create Categories for Family Groups
- Create and Categorize Wheelocks in New York state prior to 1840. (This seems to be a common brick wall for Wheelock families in America)
- Recruit additional participants for the FamilyTreeDNA project to help solve unknown or disputed connections (such as whether Abiel Wheelock married Joseph Ward or Benjamin Albee).
- Look at other one name studies, and look at how they use atDNA and other websites.
- Login to edit this profile and add images.
- Private Messages: Send a private message to the Profile Manager. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)
On 14 Aug 2017 at 05:57 GMT Liz (Noland) Shifflett wrote: