Surnames/tags: WikiTree_Sourcer Extension Citation
WikiTree Sourcer is a Browser Extension developed by Rob Pavey and other contributors that helps the user to search for sources and cite them, thus saving a lot of time and manual typing.
It focuses on three goals:
- From a WikiTree profile page it provides the ability to search other genealogy websites for relevant records.
- From one of these genealogy websites' records page it can extract data and build a citation.
- Also from one of these genealogy websites records page it can search other genealogy websites for similar records. For example on an Ancestry page it can help find free versions of the same original source.
The extension is still in active development as features and supported sites are added. The project is open source and programmers are invited to help add support for new sites.
The extension is free to download for Chrome and Firefox (donations can be made if desired via the popup menu). For Safari there is a small charge to install the app because Apple charges a yearly subscription fee to publish on the App Store and does not allow donation links in the extension.
How to install
The extension works in many different browsers.
- For Chrome, Opera, Brave, Edge, Vivaldi and other Chromium based browsers , install it from the Chrome Web Store.
- For Firefox install it from the Firefox Add-ons page.
- For Safari search for WikiTree Sourcer in the App Store on Mac, iPad or iPhone. An app is installed, when you run the app it installs the extension in Safari.
For efficient use of the extension (in Chrome at least) you will want to "pin" the extension (under the jigsaw-piece icon in Chrome) so that the "" always shows up in the toolbar.
Before using it too much check out the options page ("Options..." on the menu). There are different options for formatting and you can select which countries your subscriptions for Ancestry and FMP are in.
To report a bug please add a comment on this Free Space Page with a link to the page you were on when you saw the bug.
We have a community of members discussing the extension, reporting issues and making suggestions on a "Rob Pavey Apps" Discord Server. If you would like to join please send a PM to me (Rob Pavey).
- WikiTree Sourcer news (11 Dec 2022): New sites, Scotlands People update. Dec 11, 2022.
- WikiTree Sourcer news (8 Nov 2022): Now Open Source, new sites. Nov 8, 2022.
- WikiTree Sourcer news: September 2022 Sep 21, 2022.
- WikiTree Sourcer Update Jul 29, 2022.
- WikiTree Sourcer now available for Safari on Mac and iOS Jan 3, 2022.
- WikiTree Sourcer: A browser extension for finding and citing sources Oct 4, 2021.
- Login to request to the join the Trusted List so that you can edit and add images.
- Private Messages: Send a private message to the Profile Manager. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)