Will of Adam Hickes, Yeoman of Tansor, Northamptonshire National archives Reference: PROB 11/118/27 Probate 07 June 1611
- In the name of god amen. I Adam Hickes of Tansor in the County of Northampton yeoman beyng weake of bodye yet of good and perct memorye prayse be to god) Do make and declare this my last will and testament in manner and forme folowing
- First I commend my soule into the handes and protection of Almightie god hoping and assuring myself through his mercy and the merrittes deathe and passion of Jesus Christe my Savyoure to be freelie remitted of all my synnes and my bodye to the earthe in decent manner of buryall to be buryed. As touching my temporall estate which in this lifetyme yt hathe pleased god to send me I order will and dispose forme as foloweth
- First I will give and bequeathe to William Bellamye my sonne in lawe and Edward Hickes my sonne all the profitts comming & isuing frowing or renewyng of all my lands medows pasture and closes nowe in myne owne occupation aswell freehold as leasehoulde for the tearme of fower yeares from the feaste of Saint Michaell the Archangell next comming equallie to be devided betwene them uppon condition nevertheless that they shall paye yearlie during the saied fower yeres to my sonne Robert Hickes to the use of my Sonne John Hickes at the Feast of the Annunciation and at Saint Michael the Archangeell the somme of thirtie poundes by even portions & provided allwaues and my will ys that yf [ather] my sonne [insertion William] Bellamye or my sonne Edward Hickes shall fayle to make payment of the rent aforesayed by the space of twoe dayes next after the feastes aforesayed in which my will and meanige ys yt should be payed as aforesayed then my will and meaninge ys and I do hereby give and bequeath unto my sonne Robert Hickes all my foresaied lande meadows pastures and closes as well freehould as leashould nowe in my owne occupation to be by hym disposed and left for the rent aforesayed which I will & my meaninge ys that my saied Sonne Robert Hickes shall paye the same to my sonne John Hickes as he shall receyve the same. And further my will is that the first payment shalbe payed at Michaelmas next. That my sonne William Hickes may receyve rent for his free land and medows the sommes of sixe poundes at the feast of Saint Michael the which shalbe at the ende of the fower yeres.
- Item I will and give and bequeath unto my sonne William Hickes and to his heifes and assignes for ever all that my house mesuage and tenement with thappt’rncs in the parish of Sainte Michaell in Stamford in the Countie of Lincolnshire with all all waynescott glasse feeding tables stooles and ymplements therin to me of righte due and apperteyning. And also all my freehould landes closes meadowes and pastures with thappert’nncs in Tansor in the sayed Countie of Northampton whatsoever. In considerat’on whereof I will and my desire is my sayed sonne William shall paye unto my sonne Thomas Hickes the somme of fortie poundes of lawfull money of England as a guifte and legacy by me to hym given and bequeathed. And likewise that my said sonne William Hickes shall likewise give and may unto my daughter Margery Everell nowe a widowe the like somme of fortie poundes in parte of a debt of three score poundes to the sayed Margery Everell due and owing by Christopher Allsopp of Nassington in the Countie of Northampton deceased.
- Item I will give and bequeath to Margery Everell my daughter the f[ues ] (furze?) growing uppon twoe leas of Cattels land lying uppon the longe furlonge uppon the [ ] her natural life : And also I give and bequeathe to my sayed daughter Margery Everell tenne poundes to be payed her within one yeare after my deathe.
- Item I give unto my sonne John Hickes the somme of twentie poundes to be payed unto hym at Christmas next.
- Item I do give to my sonne Edward Hickes and to his assignes all my leases esteate and termes of yeres of in and to all those landes and tenements with th’appurt’nnces afoesayed which I hold of Mrs [???] Norwiche and also all my estate lease righte and interest of in and to the same as allso to one close in or near Prior x in the sayed countie of Northampton.
- Item I give to William Bellamye and Margaret his wife and theire assignes all my estate title and tearme of yeares and leasse of the mesuage and tenement with thappurt’nnce wherein I nowe dwell which I hould of Sir Anthony Mildmaye Knight in Tansor with all the lands meadowes outhouses barnes and stables thereunto belonging.
- Item I give to the sayed Margaret Bellamye my daughter all my househould stuffe, utensills brasse pewter lynnen woollen bedding and all other implements of household whatsoever.
- Item I give and bequeath to Elizabeth Alsopp my daughter fortie poundes whereof I will my executors shall paue thirtie poundes thereof to Mr Dickson parson of Ellton as a debt owying to hym by Christofer Allsoppe.
- Item I gice to Alice Medcalfe fyve poundes to be payed to her within one yere after my deathe.
- All the rest of my goods and chattells both moveable and unmoveable my debts beyng payed any legacies performed and my funerall chardged deducted I give and bequeath to Willaim Bellamy my sonne in law and Edward Hickes my sonne equallie to be devided betwene them whom I make sole executors of this my last will and testament . And I do ordayne and make overseers of this my last will and testament the sayed William Hickes and Robert Hickes my sonnes. In witness whereof the sayed William Hickes the testator to this my present testament and last will have set my hand and seale this fourthe daye of May in the year of ower Lord god one thousand sixe hundred and eleaven and in the yere of the raigne of oure Soveraigne Lord James by the grace of god, Kynge of England France and Ireland the nynth and of Scotland the fower and fortith.
- Item I give to Elizabeth Allsopp two loades of haye yerelie during the tyme of her widowhood.
- The marke of Adam Hicks signed sealed published and acknowledged in the presence of Hohn Lenton Robert Wise Roger Robinson