This is a transcript of the register copy of the will of James Bush of 25 Calmel Buildings on Orchard Street, Portman Square in Marylebone, Westminster, Middlesex. He was a chandler and a shopkeeper. He was born in about 1780.
The will was written on the 13th of August 1827, just a few days before James was buried on the 19th of August 1827 at the age of 47 years in St George Hanover Square, Middlesex. It was proved at London in the Prerogative Court of Canterbury on the 5th of October 1827. The register copy of the will is now catalogued with the Prerogative Court of Canterbury wills at The National Archives at Kew, Surrey, England.
Spelling and punctuation are as the register copy. Abbreviations have been expanded in square brackets. Capital 'f' has been transcribed as 'F' rather than 'ff'.
- James' wife, Rebecca Bush (nee Lambole). She was buried a month later on the 19th of September 1827 in St George Hanover Square, Middlesex.
- Richard Lambole Bush, James' 18 year old son, one of the executors of the will.
- Joseph Peacock of 67 Lincoln's Inn Fields in London, gentleman, one of the executors of the will.
- Sarah Bush and George Holding, the witnesses of the will.
In the Name of God Amen I James Bush of 26o25 Callmell Buildings Orchard Street Portman Square in the County of Middlesex Chandler Shopkeeper I do hereby direct will and bequeath unto my Wife Rebecca Bush all that my right title and interest in the house and Premises 26o25 Callmell Buildings held by Lease Subject to the Tent and Covenants therein contained I also give and bequeath unto my said Wife all my Stock in the Public Funds now standing in my name I also give and bequeath all my Household Furniture Plates Linen and whatever property I may die possessed of for and during her natural life the beneficial interest of all the before mentioned Lease Stock in the Public Funds Household Furniture and all other property whatever is to be applied in the maintenance of herself and Children and also in their maintenance and Education and Advancement in the World I further will and direct that at her death the whole of my aforesaid property shall be divided between and amongst such of my said Children that shall be then living if the youngest of such Children shall have attained its Age of twenty one years or at such time as that event shall happen Share and Share alike as tenants in Common And I hereby appoint Mr. Joseph Peacock of 67 Lincolns Inn Fields Gentleman and my Son Richard Lambole Bush Executors of this my last Will and testament In Witness whereof I have hereunto set my hand and Seal this thirteenth day of August One thousand eight hundred and twenty Seven James Bush LS Signed Sealed Published and declared by the said testator James Bush as and for his last Will and testament in the presence of us who in his presence at his request have hereunto Subscribed our names as Witnesses thereto Sarah Bush George Holding 4 Orchard St[reet] Portman Sq[ua]re
Proved at London the 5th October 1827 before the Worshipful Henry Danne Salisbury Doctor of Laws & Surrogate by the oath of Joseph Peacock one of the Executors to whom Adm[inistrati]on was granted having been first Sworn duly to Administer Power reserved of making the like grant Richard Lambole Bush the Son (now a Minor) the other Executor when he shall attain the Age of twenty years & apply for the same
- Reference: PROB 11/1731/181, Description: Will of James Bush, Chandler, Shopkeeper of No 25 Callmell Buildings Orchard Street Portman Square , Middlesex Date: 05 October 1827. The National Archives online, accessed 18 Sep 2021
- James Bush, birth year 1780, buried 19 Aug 1827, St George, Hanover Square, Middlesex, England. Citing: findmypast.com.au "Westminster Burials" requires subscription accessed 26 Aug 2021
- Login to edit this profile and add images.
- Private Messages: Send a private message to the Profile Manager. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)