Will of John Churchell, Gentleman of Corton, Dorset 1600
- PROB 11/95/155
- 12 March 1599/1600
Transcribed by Helen M Ford from image downloaded from ancestry.co.uk
In the name of god amen. I John Churchell of Corton in the Countie of Dorset gent doe make and ordaine this my last will and testament in manner and forme followinge .
- Firste I bequeathe my sould into the handes of the lovinge god and my bodie to be buried in the Church of Portesham as neare to my wife as maie be
- Item, I will and bequeathe the unto the poore two hundre poundes whereof fowere score to be delivered to the poore Dorchester to be imploied to their use forever taking good assurance for the repaiment thereof yearlie.
- Item forwerscore more to be imploied in like manner to the pooore of Bridport and twentie poundes to the poore of Abbotte___ to the same use
- Item tenn poundes more to the poore of Portesham . And tenne poundes moreto the pooore of Fleete to the same use. And for the better assurance hereof I will that my executrix shall take the best advice of learned councell that maie be according to my intent and fine meaninge.
- Item I give to my sister Smith twentie poundes for a remembrance.
- Item I give unto [ 's ] sonne now beinge with my brother at Dorchester twentie poundes
- Item I give to my brother William Churchill and to his sonne John , each of them a morning cloake.
- Item I will and bequeathe to my daugher Elizabeth Williams all my houses in Dorchester and the landes theresonto belonginge in Dorchester and Forthington Feildes. To have and to holde to her and to the heires of her bodie begotten or to be begotten, And for defalte of such yssue the remainder thereof to my daughter Anne Mones and to the heirs of her bodie begotten or to be begotten.And for defalte of such yssue to my right heires forever.
- Item I give and bequeathe all my implements in my houses at Dorchester unto my daughter Elizabeth Williams.
- Item I will and bequeathe unto my daughter Elizabeth Wiilams that my yse of the lease of Tolepiddle and Athepiddle the titles and proffittes thereunto belonginge.
- Item, I will and bequeath unto my daughter Anne Moone all that my parte of the lease of the farme of Corton
- Item I will and bequeathe unto my daughter Anne Moone all that my yse of the free Chappell of Corton and to the heires of her bodies lawfullie begotten. And for defalte of such yssue the remainder thereof to my daughter Elizabeth Williams. And for defalte of such yssue the remainded thereof to my daughter Elizabeth Williams. And to the heires of her bodie lawfullie begotten and for defalte of such yssue to remaine to my right heires forever.
- Item I will that all my stocks of chattells goinge in Corton with all my plate and moveable goods uppon the same to be equallie devided betwene my two daughters, Elizabeth Williams and Anne Moone.
- Item I will and bequeathe unto John Wier my servant five pounds.
- Item I will and bequeathe unto my shepphard Purkett fortie shillinges.
- Item I will for all my goodes ,chatells, moveable and immoveable not given and bequeathed I will and ordaine my daughter Anne Moone my sole executrix.And for the better pformance of this my last will and testament, I ordaine and appointe my well beloved frende Georg Watkins gent and my cozen Mr Wm Bonde my overseers. And by this my last will and testament I doe revoke and adnull all former willes and testamentes whatsoever dated the first daie of October in the nine and thyrtethe yeare of the raigne of our Soveraigne Ladie Queen Elizabeth.
- John Churchill.Signed, sealed in the presence of use George Watkins, John Moone, Edward Sha__
- Meomorandum this will and testament was delivered to me Willam Napper by Mr John Churchill at Mr George Watkins house at Boxenton to be of issued and pbshed and requested and to be a witness unto the same confessinge unto me yt was his last will and testament and this was donne the eight daie of April one thousande five hundred nintie eight, Elizabeth [ ] [ ] [ ] Willimo Napper de Prinknoll and Henry Poundes. The fourth daie of November Anno domini 1599.
This is the intente of me John Churchill gent whereas I have by this my will within written devised certaine somes of monie amounting to two hundred poundes to be ymploied for the releife ofpoor artificers of certaine townes and villages within mentioned. I do by this presente declare and appoint that forasuch as I have allreddie by my life time delivered the saide some of two hundred poundes to the releif of the saide towns and villages that now from hereforth the said towns and villages so releved by me allreaddie shall have noe further benefitt of aine leagacies contained in this my will. And for the residue of my saide will I doe by theis presente ratifie and [ seable] the the same to remaine pfect and good in all respects this being witnessed Morgan Moone, Edward Shaw, Georg Parkins, John Churchill