Will of Richard Dymery
- DYMERYE, Richard - Oldbury on Severn, husb
- 4 October 1598
- Edmund & Joan Pache
- Richard Tayer
- John Tayer
- Ursula Taier
- Roger Russell
- exec cousin Thos Pache; overs Thos Champnes & Thos Moyer
|Will of Richard Dymery|
Top line seems like "ao domi" before the 1598, likely abbreviation for "anno domini"? The reign or possibly regina/queen ???? ??? Elizabeth 40th" (i.e. 40th year of the reign of Elizabeth, consistent with 1598).
Preamble -- In Dei Nomine amen (In God's name amen) I Richard Dymerye of "Oldbury upon Severn" (more study needed on this) in the county of Gloucs" (i.e. Gloucestershire, more needed), husbandman, sick in body but "r-something" (robust?) in memory, God be praised, do make this my last will and testament in manner and form following: First I commit my soul(e) unto my savior Jesus (Jesu?) Christ and my body to be buried in the churchyard of Oldbury when (or possibly "where", 2 forms of letter "r" are used in this will) it shall please God to "raise" me. (maybe, wills of this era commonly made reference to physical resurrection)
- It. I do give(?) unto Edmond Pach on ewe on lambe on silver spone [spoon]
- It. I do give unto Richard tayer one blacke coeltt [colt](?)
- It. I do give unto John Tayor on ewe on lambe on silver spone
- It. I do give unto Ursula Taior one pifsto_d (NB: first letter of Ursula's bequest is "p" based on matches in document)
- It. I doe give unto Joane Pach on flaxen shirtt and 6s of money (NB: if reading "6s" correctly, 6 shillings from the £sd system)
- It. I doe give unto Rodger russell one ewe
- It. I doe give unto the poor people of oldbury ??iii s iiijd [money; looks like xiij so maybe 33 shillings and some pence? last "i" usually written to look like a "j"]
- It. All the rest of my goods moveable and immovable & quick and dead (NB: "quick and dead" may have been a catch-all phrase to include all other animals, property etc with the obvious religious overtone; "quick" is arguable but "and dead" is very clear) I doe give unto Thomas Pacth my "cosyn" (NB: if cosyn/cousin is correct, word described several relationships at the time such as nephew so should not be too strictly interpreted) whom I doe make my "whole" (i.e. "sole"?) executor to ___ this
my last will and testament I formed according & unto E_______, (NB: possibly "Equity", meaning freedom from bias/favoritism, in use since 14th century) and also I doe appoynte Thomas + "Chamsind" or "Lamsind"? and Thomas "Morrow" or "Moyer" (maybe? very uncertain on these names) to be _____________(overseers?) for me to see this my last will and testament performed and for their paynes I doe give them ______iij s(hillings) between them
- NB-following is a list of amounts to be paid to people, the first word seems to be "Debts" except that the ending "s" looks unusual, the second word possibly "Due", more work needed.
- Will Tayer (maybe) - 20s
- Edward (maybe) Crook - 23s
- Joh(n) Tayer - 20s
- Joh(n) Alles - text needs translation
- others WIP...
- Help with transcribing the will of Richard Dymery Nov 24, 2018.