- Oxford Archdeaconery, Will.187.36;29/1/10 Will of Richard Hurste, Smith of Combe, Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire Wills Index, Findmypast (subscription needed)
- Transcribed by Helen Ford
- In the Name of god anno the xx th daye of Maye in the yeare of o’re Lord God a thousand fyve hundred seventie nyne I Richard Hurste of Longcombe in the co’ntie of Oxon Smith sycke in bodie but whole and pfecte of mynde and memorie laud and prayse be unto almyghtie god I doe make and ordayne this my last will and testament in manor and forme following.
- First I give and bequeathe my soule unto almightie God my maker and redeemer and verelie hope to be saved by the bl’dsheddinge of o’re saviour Jesus Christe and my Ladye to be buried with my father in churchyard of Combe aforesayd.
- Item I give to the mother church in Oxon iid
- Item I give to my pa’she church in Combe iiijd
- Item I bequeth unto William Hurste my second son xijd.
- I bequeth unto Robert Hurst my son xijd
- I bequeth unto Thomas Hurst my son xiij
- I bequeth unto Agnes Hurst my eldest daughter a sheet & [platter] and a saucer
- I bequeth unto Winnifrute my daughter a platter and a saucer
- I bequeth unto xopfer (Christopher) Hurste my sonne my my lesser grindstoane
- I bequeth unto Richard Hurst my sonne a sheet and a platter,
- Furthermore I bequeth unto my son Richard and unto Griffen Hust his brother all my shoppe tooles after my decease equalie to be devided between him and the sayd Richard to have the occupat’on of them upon consideration of bringinge upppe Griffen Hurste his brothe in the occupation of a smithe tha’ whiche he nowe usethe and at the age of xxj yeares, to deliver the one halfe of the tooles accordinge as they were devided into the sayd Griffen, in as good and suffcicient reperat’on as they be praysed in the inventorie And if it fortune the sayd Griffen Hurste to decease before he com to the age of xxj yeares and beinge not married the’ my will and my mynde is that they shall remayne unto William Hurst his younger brother.
- I bequeth unto the sayd Griffin my sone a payer of sheetes, a pewter platter, a chafinge dishe of brasse and the spindle for a grindstone to be delivered unto him at the age of xxj.
- I bequeth unto William Hurst my youngest sonne a payer of sheetes, a pewter platter a candil stickeof brasse and a spice morter wth the pestell to be delivered unto him at the age of xxj yeares
- I bequeth unto Marrian Hurste my daughter a payer of sheetes, a pewter platter a tablecloth and a candalsticke of brass to be delivered unto her at the age of xviij yeares
- I bequeth unto Elizabeth Hurst my youngest daughter a payre of sheetes a tablecloth a pewter platter a brasse poote at the age of xxiij yeares, and yf it fortune that the sayd Griffen, William, Marrian, or Elizabeth shall all decease before they come to the age of xxi or xviij yeares and not married the’ my will and mind is that his or her legaicies shall all remayne unto the next eldest of them
- I bequeth into Elizabeth Maye my sevante a sheete and a pewter platter to be delivered to her w’thin three yeares after my decease
- All the rest of my goods moveable and unmoveable unbequethed and my debts payd my legacies fulfilled and my fun’all exppences discharged I give and bequeth unto Allice my wiffe who I do make my full executrix of this my last will and testament alsoe I doe make and ordayne xopher (Christopher) Buckner and Thomas Perrin my overseeres of this my last will and testament,and I utterlie revoke and adnull all other willes, testatments legacies executors of overseers, at ainie time by me & before this time made, willed and beqethed by me Richard Hurste Smithe
- Overseers x’pher Buckener and Thomas Perrin [painge?] for theire paynes [be----] the’ xijd
- Wittainesses William Northe and Walter Payne of [c-sente??? ]And John Howse curate
Xxiij Januarij 1580 (Mark)