Will of Sir White Beconsawe of Ellingham, Hampshire 1638
- National Archives. PROB 11/178/155
- Probate granted 22 October 1638
In the name of God Amen, the seaven and twentieth day of August in the yeare of our Lord God One Thousande sixe hundred thirty eight.
- I White Beconsawe of Moyells Courte in the p[ar]ish of Ellingham in the County of South, Knighte being of sounde and perfect memory and (__) understanding (thanks be given unto Allmighty God) considering the weake and fraile state of my mortall body which is contynually subject into death yet not knowing the tyme when itt shall please God to take me out of this worlde and being desirous to dispose and settle that tempall and worldly estate which God hath bestowed uppon me, I doe make and ordayne this my last will and Testament in manner and forme following.
- First I give and bequeath my soule unto the hands of Almighty God my Creator whoe hath redemed the same by the boud of Jesus Christ his only sonne my Blessed Lord and Saviour, hoping to meete him att the resurrection of (__) and to enioy that happy (__) which he hath appointed for his elect. And my body I comitt to Christian Burial to be decently buried by my executrix hereafter mentioned in this my last will and Testament.
- Item I give and bequeath unto the poor of the parish of Ellingham, forty shillings of lawfull money of England
- Item I give to the poore people of Ringwood, forty shillings of lawfull money of England
- Item I give to the poor people of Ibslie, forty shillings of lawfull money of England
- Item I give to the poor people of Fordingbridge forty shillings of lawfull money of England
- Item I give to the parish church of Ellingham twenty shillings
- Item I give to the parish church of Ringwood twenty shillings
- Item I give to the parish church of Ibslie twenty shillings
- Item I give to the parish church of Fordingbridge twenty shillings
- Item I give and bequeath unto my Grandchild Beconsaw Lisle, my farme called Ibbslie farme withall and every the landes and hereditaments thereunto belonging.To have and to hould the same unto the said Beconsawe Lisle and to his heires forever immediately after the decease of Dame Edith Beaconsawe my wife
- Item I give and bequeath unto my daughter Elizabeth Typpen All my lands called Peasearsh sittuate and lying in the parishes of Fordingbridge and Breamor. To have and to houlde unto her and her heires forever.
- Item I give and bequeath to my daughter Elizabeth Tippen All my lands and tenements sittuate and lying within the parish of Ellingham which were heretofore purchased by my father William Beconsawe Esquier of Mr William Okeden . To have and hould the said lands and tenem[en]ts unto my said daughter Elizabeth Tippen and to her heires forever.
- Item I give more unto my said daughter Elizabeth Tippen All that my Mannor of Penyington (Pevrell?) which I lately purchased from Mr Edward Cheeke To have and to hould All the said Mannor and all the lands and hereditaments thereunto belonging unto the said Elizabeth Tippen and to her heirs foreever.
- Item I give unto my daughter Alice Lisle. All that my mannor of Ibbslie and all Lands and hereditam[en]ts thereunto belonging excepte the farme before given to have and to hould All the said Mannor with all lands and hereditam[en]ts thereunto b belonging unto the said Alice Lisle and to her heirs forever.
- Item my will is that all my other lands not given nor assigned shalbe equally devided betwene my two daughters abovesaid according to the Lawe
- Item Whereas I have sould a tenem[en]t in Fordingbridge late with the tenure of one Berklie? Unto one Deane, my will is that my heires shall make that estate good ,or else shall lease soe much of my Fee simple land to the said Deane as shall make him sattisfaction.
- Item I give and bequeath unto Anne Colier Daughter of John Colier Gent tenn pounds lawfull money of England.
- Item I give and bequeath unto my servant Walter Pane? Forty shillings lawfull money of England.
- Item I give and bequeath unto my servant Henry Bestling? Forty shillings lawfull money of England
- Item I give and bequeath unto my servant maide Joane Baber forty shillings lawfull money of England.
- Item I give and bequeath unto my man Ralph Bishopp twenty shillings lawfull English money.
- Item I give unto all the rest of my men servants and mayde servants tenn shillings a peece which shalbe dwelling with me at the tyme of my decease.
- Item I give to my Cosen Anne Collier tenn shillinges to buy her a Ringe
- Item I give unto my daughter Alice Lisle, my two fayre silver flaggons
- Item I give unto my daughter Elizabeth Tippen my silver bason and ewer.
- All the residue of my goods and Chattells moveable and unmoveable, m debts and legacies paide, I give and bequeath unto Dame Edith Beconsaw my wife, whome I doe make and ordayne my full and whole executrix in and by this my last will and Testament. And I doe ordayne and appointe John Colier Gent and Henry Elliot Gent to be the overseers of this my last will and Testament To whom I give tenn shillinges a peece for their paynes.
- In witness whereof I have to theise two leaves sett my hand and seale and have published this my last Will and Testament, the day and yeare above written, White Beconsawe, In the presence of Thomas Hasted his signe, Robert Boundes
Probate granted to Dame Edith Beconsawe