This is a working research document for the Gilpin Name Study. It relates to a specific individual or family.
John Courtney Gilpin
- He is listed as the father of William James Gilpin. John Courtney was born 1794 and died 1876. He is buried at St. Mary's Cemetery, The information in this tree indicates he married a Sarah (nee unknown). They had and had 10 children:
Margaret Ann Gilpin (1820)
- born May 4, 1820, married John Squires. She died November 18, 1908
Mary Jane Gilpin (1822)
- born September 24, 1822 in Ireland. She marred David White. She died Spebember 24, 1909
Matilda Mary Gilpin (1824)
- John Gilpin named in Ireland Marriage record for Samuel Haddock and Matilda Gilpin. She was born December 7, 1824.
Thomas Ridgeway Gilpin (1827)
- John C Gilpin named on Ontario marriage record for *Thomas R Gilpin and Margaret E Rounds
- Jno C Gilpin named in Ontario Marriage record for Thomas R Gilpin and Jemima E McGuire
- He was born March 1, 1827 in Ireland. He married twice. He died May 25, 1887 in Huron County, Ontario
John Courtney Gilpin Jr (1828)
- John C Gilpin named in Ontario Marriage record for John C Gilpin and Annie Hamelton
- born November 14, 1828 in Armagh, Ireland. He married Annie Hamilton on January 2, 1873. He died November 27, 1915 in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan.
- William James, born 1882, died 1883, age 1 year, 8 months
- Unnamed infant son, died May 16, 1884, age 1 day, 12 hours. (source: email from family member)
Richard Thompson Gilpin (1831)
- John Courtney Gilpin named on Ireland Marriage record for Richard Thompson Gilpin and Catherine Atchison
- John Courtney Gilpin named on Ireland Civil Registrations (Marriage) for Richard Thompson Gilpin and Catherine Atchison
- John C Gilpin named in Ontario Death record for Richard T Gilpin
- born February 4, 1831 in Ireland. He married Catherine Atchison in Ireland, on July 28, 1854.
George Gilpin (1833)
- George was born in 1833. He died 1854. No other information is known at this time.
Sara Regan Gilpin (1839)
- Sara was born 1839. She married Samuel Sparling on November 30, 1859. She died February 22, 1861
Charlotte Elizabeth Gilpin (1843)
- born August 24, 1843 in Ireland. She married David Scott Milne on March 20, 1849 (this needs to be checked, as date makes her 6 years old). She died March 21, 1896
William James Gilpin (1836-1919)
- January 23, 2019 - Amy received an email from an outside source relating to William James Gilpin and his lineage, with a link to a family tree on the FamilySearch.org site.
[Family View on FamilySearch] Given the confusion, this may not be an accurate representation of the family.
- January 25, 2019 - Amy received an email from an outside family member requesting information on William James Gilpin's profile be updated: Birth Date: December 28, 1836; 1st Marriage date and location: February 14, 1860 in Maryborough, Wellington County, Ontario, Canada; and immigration date: November 21, 1854 for William James Gilpin, his parents and some siblings. This link was provided: [New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1891]
Confirmed with Sources:
- Born about 1837 in County Armagh, Ireland 
- Son of (John) Courtney Gilpin and Sarah Gilpin 
- Husband of Esther McKague, married before 1871 in Ireland. Marriage date 1819, Northern Ireland. (confirmed through https://www.familysearch.org/tree/person/details/L5KV-2WP). They had no children (verified by email on January 24, 2019) - No Source found yet.
- Husband of Sarah Ann Gilpin, married June 30, 1908 in Toronto, Ontario 
- Died May 18, 1919 in St. Mary’s, Ontario, Canada 
- William James (Bill) Gilpin born June 18, 1909 at St. Mary’s, Perth County, Ontario, Canada. 
- Richard John Courtney Gilpin – (verified son of William James Gilpin and Sarah Ann Gilpin by email from Juni87929 at gmail.com on January 24, 2019) The email states: He was named for his maternal grandfather Richard Gilpin and his paternal grandfather John Courtney Gilpin. He was called Court by his family and friends. 
Thomas William Gilpin (1867)
It was brought to my attention last week that Thomas is not the son of William James Gilpin. He was a nephew. This information was provided by Becky Gilpin Thompson Nosel on January 14, 2019:
- The information on the profile of Thomas W Gilpin (1867) is incorrect. He was my Grandmothers brother and they were the children of David Gilpin and Mary Ann Shaw Gilpin. Thomas was sent to live with his Aunt and Uncle William and Esther Ann McQuaig Gilpin. He lived with them and was an apprentice in his Uncle Williams hardware store. He appears on census reports with William and Esther but he is their nephew, not their son. Thomas is on 1871 Census of Canada with his parents David and Mary. My Grandmother Emma Jane Gilpin was born in 1872. Thomas died on March 25, 1889 from TB. I have letters that he wrote to my Grandmother while he was living with Aunt and Uncle and my Grandmother lived in Pittsburgh Pa with another Uncle.