Surnames/tags: Abbott, Denison, Willie source
- not yet finished. Smith-32867 09:03, 5 August 2017 (EDT)
Spencer Miller, "Willie, Denison and Abbott Families of Bishop's Stortford, Co. Herts, England," in New York Genealogical & Biographical Record, Jan 1934: pp 46-55.
The author conducted personal research of parish records in 30 parishes in/near Bishop's Stortford covering the years 1630-1640.
Extracted Genealogical Information
- John Denison (father of PGM immigrant William Denison of Roxbury, MA) died of the plague and was buried in BS 4 Dec 1582, leaving widow Agnes who married John Gase (Gace) 1 May 1584.
- Agnes was not a sister of Thomas Miller, Bridgett Abbott or Margaret Hake. Her maiden name was Willie.
- John Denison and wife Agnes moved from Thorley to Bishop's Stortford, where their children are recorded:
- 3 Aug 1567: Luce Denyzen bpt; bur 9 Sep 1582
- 3 Feb 1571: Will'm Denyson bpt; m 7 nov 1603 Margaret Monck; children bpt B.S.:
- 7 Apr 1605: John bpt
- 5 Oct 1606: Willia[m?]
- 15 Oct 1609: George Denison (looks like further records of his children and his own death in B.S.)
- 18 Oct 1612 Daniel Dennison
- 8 Oct 1615 Sarah Denison daught'r of Willm and Margaret; bur. 15 Oct 1618
- 3 Nov 1616: Edward Denison (son of Wm & Marg.)
- 10 Dec 1620 George Dennson (son of Wm & Marg.)
- 6 Apr 1575: Edward Denyson bpt; m. bef 1603; ch bpt B.S.:
- 19 Feb 1603[/4?] Anne Denysen
- 24 Nov 1604 Susan Denyson
- 18 Sep 1608 Elizabeth Denezen
- 13 Sep 1612 John Dennison
- 28 Apr 1577: Mary Denyson bpt
- 23 Aug 1579: Elizabeth Denyson bpt
- 17 Mar 1582[/3?]: George Denison [posthumous/] son of John bpt.
- 4 Dec 1582: John Denison buried B.S.
Willie / Wylley
- Records of the family found in parish records of Thorley, where parish records began 1539:
- Rev. Robert Wylly rector 1474-1493; may have been grandfather of:
- 30 Oct 1540: John Willie m. Joan Marsead [Spencer mis-read the parish records; her last name was Marshall.]
- 4 Aug 1541: John Willie, baptized
- 8 Nov 1543 Emmerit Willie baptized (possibly intended for Emma and possibly changed to Agnes)
- 13 Nov 1548: Mary Willie, baptized
- 1 Feb 1551: Bridgett Willie baptized
- 11 May 1561: John Denison married Agnes willie
- 21 Jul 1583 Joan Willie, dau of EdwRd (son of John Willie) bapt. Witnesses: George Willie, Susanna Adams
- 13 Sept 1583: Mary Dennison, dau of William (bro. of John Denison), bap
- In Bishop's Stortford:
- 27 Apr 1580: Elizabeth Welly buried
1545: Agnes Wylley (of Thorley) and her son John pay'd subsidy tax in Thorley; John Willeye of Thorley paid subside tax. John Willey paid 22 shillings in Stortford; Edward Willey paid 3 shillings, 4 pence in Stortford
- This demonstrates two separate Willie families (with similar names)-- one in Thorley; one in BS.
1548: John Wylley (of Thorley) Senior, buys of (his son) John Wylley, Jun. (probably a mortgage)3 messuages and land in Thorley. This probably means John Jr, having a family, takes the old home giving a mtg. to his father.
1555: 13 June: will of Agnes Wylleye of Thorley leaves everything to her son John Wylleye (prob the Agnes Wylley who paid subsidy tax 1545 Thorley. )
1560: John Wylley (perhaps of Thorley) buys of Thos.& Joan Chandler lands in Thorley
1563:John Denyzon (and Agnes Wylley) buy a home and land in Stortford of John Chaundeler and wife Joan
1573 Richd Wylley buys 3 messuages & land in Stortford from Wm. Pilston and Joan
1573: Richd Wllye (son of John who died about 1558) & Wm Pilston wife Joan sells to Thos. Crabbe cottage in Stortford
1582:John Denison died of the plague leaving Agnes(Willie) his widow in Stortford.
1583: 21 July: JoanWillie da. of Edward (bro. of Agnes) bpt in Thorley; witness George Willey (bro of Agnes)
1585: John Wryghte buys of Rich. Wylley and Agnes his wife in Thorley
1586: Edward Wylley (of Thorley) Elizabet his wife sells land in Thorley
1586: Edward & Elizabeth Wyllye (of Thorley) sell lands in Thorley
1590: John Helham buys of Rich Wyllye & Agnes two messuages and land in Thorley
1596: John Gace [husband of Agnes Wylley Denison] & Thos. Miller: (buys of) George Abbott & Bridget his wife, Edward Hake gent. and Margaret, his wife, two messuages and land in Bishop's Stortford.
1602: John Gace bur. 2 Sept; his will mentions "Maister Thomas Miller and George Abbott.
1610: Will of Nicholas Brett of Much Hadham Co Herts, mentions dau Mary Willie & her husband George Willy
1612: Will of George Willey of Thorley dated 10 Sep1612; mentions wife Mary
John Wylley Senior of Thorley; m. Agnes:
- John Willie, d 1574/5; m. 30 Oct 1540 Joan Marsead [sic; should be Marshall]; children:
- John,, bp 4 Aug 1541
- Emmeret(?) bp 8 Nov 1543
- Agnes, bp ___;mJohnDenison, 11May 1561
- Mary, bp 13 Nov 1548; m.. Edward Ducket 18 Oct 1579
- Bridgett, bp 1 Feb 1551; m George Abbott (s/o William) abt 1580 & d 13 Aug 1625, widow and antiente. George bur Stortford 11 Jan 1619. Six children including:
- George bpt 28 May 1587 who m Elizabeth and had:
- George bpt 22 May 1617,d 24 Dec 1681 Andover, Mass.
- George bpt 28 May 1587 who m Elizabeth and had:
- Edward,mentioned in will; m.Elizabeth Jardfield 18 Jan 1581; he d 1615.
- George,mentioned in will; m Mary Brett of Little Hadham 1683, dau of Nicholas; d 1612
- Grace mentioned in will; m 16 Oct 1580 Richard Walker one dau Anne; Grace bur 29 Nov 1583.
- Spencer Miller, NYGBR July 1930: (ancestors of George Abbott (b1614)