Winterpock Creek Notes

Privacy Level: Public (Green)
Date: [unknown] [unknown]
Location: Winterpock, Henrico, County, Virginiamap
Surnames/tags: Robertson Eppes Rudd
This page has been accessed 1,125 times.



This Space page was written by Allan Harl Thomas

In 1690 Captain Francis Eppes II, George Archer, Joseph Royall and Richard Kennon patented 2827 acres in what was Bristol Parish of Henrico County, Virginia on the north side of the Appomattox River . The tract being claimed was in the vicinity "of a great creek to the main river at Wortapok".

In 1703 Captain Epps and Rickard Kennon were joined by Epps' two sons, Francis Jr. (IV), Isham; granddaughter Elizabeth Kennon and the Rev George Robertson, rector of Bristol Parish, Philip Jones, Martha Stratton and James Hill in obtaining another 4000 acres at the mouth of Winterpock Creek.[1][2]

Source: A Documentary History of Eppington Part-1



  • Formed about 1611 Henrico Co to aft 1785
  • This was an original shire & parish. (often called Varina Parish 1680-1714)


  • Established in 1643
  • Bristol Parish has served Charles City, Henrico, Prince George, and Dinwiddie counties.
Charles City Co to 1702
Henrico Co to 1735
Prince George Co to aft 1785
Dinwiddie Co to aft 1785

The statute created Bristol Parish on both sides of Appomattox river, from the mouth up to the falls, in (then) Charles City & Henrico Counties. It did not give the name of the "parent" parish.

1702 When Prince George Co was formed from Charles City, that part of Bristol Parish went too.
1735 When Dale Parish was formed, it included that part of Bristol Parish in Henrico Co.
1752 When Dinwiddie Co was formed from Prince George County in 1752, Bristol Parish served both counties.

FamilySearch, Bristol Parish, Virginia

Jones of Bristol Parish


  • (North of the Winterpock watershed)
Formed 1700 King William 1700
Henrico Co to 1749
Goochland Co to 1749
Cumberland Co to 1777
Chesterfield Co to aft 1785
Powhatan Co to aft 1785

Formed for the French Protestant refugees at Manakin towne, in Henrico Co.

1728 After Goochland Co was formed from Henrico Co. kING William it served both counties. When in 1749, Cumberland Co was formed from Goochland, and Chesterfield Co from Henrico, King William Parish went into the new counties only. After Powhatan Co was formed from Cumberland Co, in 1777, the parish served all three counties


1735 to 1749 Henrico Co to 1749
AFT 1785 Chesterfield Co
1735 Formed from Henrico Parish
1749 Chesterfield Co was formed from Henrico Co, taking Dale Parish too

Manchester Parish

This parish was taken from Dale parish in 1772. The dividing line commenced at the mouth of Falling Creek, on James River, and ended at the mouth of Winterbock Creek, on the Appomattox.


The Colonial Churches of Henrico and Chesterfield Counties, Virginia: Part II. George Carrington Mason. The Virginia Magazine of History and Biography Vol. 55, No. 2 (Apr., 1947), pp. 147-158

Bristol Parish Episcopal Church

Bristol Parish was established in 1643, including all the Appomattox River valley.

Chamberlayne, Churchill Gibson. The Vestry Book and Register of Bristol Parish, Virginia, 1720 - 1789. Richmond, VA: [s.n.] 1898.

Churchill Gibson Chamberlayne's history of Blandford Church, Bristol Parish, Virginia "The Brick Church on Wells's Hill" (1907)

Old Saponey {sic} Church


Skinquarter Baptist Church

Second Creek


  • Native Americans- 1600 The county was originally inhabited by the Appomattox

Native American Indian tribe, one of several tribes ruled by Chief Powhatan.

  • 1619, the first iron furnace, and first industrial development, in America was established on Falling Creek near the James River.
  • 1622, Chief Powhatan’s successor, Chief Opechancanough, launched a coordinated attack on area settlements, many of which never recovered and were abandoned.
  • 1634 the Chesterfield area became part of the Shire of Henrico, one of the eight original political divisions of Virginia. Tobacco cultivation and coal mining fueled growth.
  • 1634 - the first Africans were brought to Bermuda Hundred.
  • 1749, prompted the Virginia House of Burgesses to separate Chesterfield County from Henrico County. The original boundary of the county was the James and Appomattox Rivers in the north, east, and south and, generally, Skinquarter Creek in the west.


[https://books.google.com/books?id=3XQuAAAAYAAJ&pg Geology of the Richmond Basin, Virginia Nathaniel Southgate Shaler, Jay Backus Woodworth, Frank Hall Knowlton U.S. Government Printing Office, 1899


A mapp of] Virginia discovered to ye hills, and in it's latt. from 35 deg. & 1/2 neer Florida to 41 deg. bounds of New England (1657 revision by Virginia Farrer of 1651 map by her father John Farrer)

A map of the most inhabited part of Virginia containing the whole province of Maryland with part of Pensilvania, New Jersey and North Carolina (by Joshua Fry and Peter Jefferson, 1755)

Survey of a part of Chesterfield County, Virginia. 1863 the mouth of Winterpock Creek

Survey of a part of Chesterfield County, Virginia. 1863 the headwaters of Winterpock Creek, Sappony Creek, Clover Hill, and Skinquarter

Survey of a part of Chesterfield County, Virginia. 1863


The Genealogy Committee
  • Colonial Wills of Henrico Co. VA, part one: 1677-1737 (with misc Documents beg 1654) by Benj. Weisiger, 1976.
  • Colonial Wills of Henrico Co. VA Part Two, 1737-1781 by Benj. Weisiger, 1994.
  • Henrico Co. VA Deeds 1737-1750 abstracted by Benj. Weisiger, 1995, Iberian Press, Athens, GA
  • Henrico County Virginia Deeds 1706-1737 by Benjamin Weisiger III, 1995 Iberian Publ Co., Athens, Ga
  • Chesterfield County Virginia Deeds 1749-1756 by Benjamin Weisiger III, 1991 reprint
  • Chesterfield County Virginia Wills 1749 - 1774 by Benjamin Weisiger, 1988
  • Chesterfield County, Virginia Deeds 1756-1764 by Benjamin Weisiger III, 1989
  • Chesterfield County Virginia Deed Book 5 1764-1768 by Benjamin Weisiger, 1995 Iberian Pr, Athens, GA
  • Chesterfield County Virginia Wills 1774-1802 by Benjamin B. Weisiger III 1992, Iberian Publ Athens, GA
  • Births from the Bristol Parish Register of Henrico, Prince George, and Dinwiddie Counties, Virginia 1720-1798 transcribed by Churchill Gibson Chamberlayne, Clearfield Co., Md 1990
  • Chesterfield County Grantee / Grantor Index compiled by Johnella Boynton 1999
  • William Traylor of Henrico County, Virginia 1674-1753: His Children and Grandchildren by Robert A. McDonald, 1997. Transcribed court records only.

by Seaman, Catherine H.C.]


Leave a message for others who see this profile.
There are no comments yet.
Login to post a comment.