|Replica of the original Xenia Station|
|Xenia Tornado Historical Marker|
Xenia is a city in Greene County, Ohio. It was founded in 1803, the year Ohio was admitted to the Union. John Paul bought 2000 acres from Thomas and Elizabeth Richardson of Hanover County, Virginia, for "1050 pounds current moneys of Virginia." Paul influenced county commissioners to locate the county seat on this land at the forks of the Shawnee Creeks. Joseph C. Vance surveyed and laid out the town then bought 257 acres from John Paul for $250.
Vance called a town meeting to discuss possible names. The committee had considered several suggestions without reaching any decision. Then the Rev. Robert Armstrong proposed the name "Xenia," meaning "hospitality" in Greek, because of the fine hospitality extended to him in this friendly community. When a tie vote occurred, Letitia Davis, wife of Owen Davis, was invited to cast the deciding ballot. She voted for "Xenia."
William Beattie was Xenia's first businessman. In 1804, he opened a tavern which became a center of community affairs. In 1804, John Marshall built Xenia's first home. The first log school house was constructed in 1805, and, that same year, the Rev. James Towler became the town's first postmaster. Xenia was incorporated in 1817 and became a city in 1834.
- Login to edit this profile and add images.
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)