Surnames/tags: Yorkshire England
- Yorkshire formally known as the County of York, is a historic county of Northern England and the largest in the United Kingdom. The county town is York. Historically, Yorkshire was divided into three ridings and the Ainsty of York. The term 'riding' is of Viking origin and derives from Threthingr meaning a third part. The three ridings in Yorkshire were named the East Riding, West Riding and North Riding. Within the borders of the historic county of Yorkshire are vast stretches of unspoiled countryside. This includes the Yorkshire Dales and North York Moors National Parks and part of the Peak District National Park. The emblem of Yorkshire is the White Rose. Yorkshire Day, held annually on 1 August, is a celebration of the general culture of Yorkshire, including its history to its own dialect.
Welcome to the Yorkshire Team!
This Team covers the whole of Yorkshire, Cleveland and Humberside. The goal of the Yorkshire Team is to raise the standards of Yorkshire profiles across the board, to devise topics to work on which will increase the presence of Yorkshire profiles on WikiTree and to provide resources and assistance to those working on Yorkshire profiles.
What we do
- We are responsible for improving the profiles of people from Yorkshire, This includes sourcing, connecting, merging duplicates, correcting database errors, and writing biographies. We clean up Yorkshire gedcom profiles and untangle family errors.
- We create profiles for prominent or notable Yorkshire people and connect them to our global tree.
- We oversee of the Yorkshire category to ensure that our information is up to date and is consistent with the other England county pages. This includes the revision of our categories, adding correct categories and deleting incorrect or unnecessary categories as needed. It also includes monitoring the page to ensure that all profiles are placed into the most accurate sub-category possible and not into any of the parent categories.
- We work on the Yorkshire Maintenance Categories, finding accurate sources and adding missing information.
- We maintain the Yorkshire Resources page by adding new information, checking hyperlinks are not broken and removing information that is no longer relevant.
- We create free space pages related to events and places in Yorkshire.
- When we can, we help and advise others who are working on Yorkshire profiles. This includes answering questions asked on G2G.
- Yorkshire Statistics
- Yorkshire Suggestions
- Yorkshire Unconnected Profiles
- Yorkshire Unsourced Profiles
- Yorkshire Name Studies
- Yorkshire Place Studies
- Yorkshire Notables and Managed Profiles
- Yorkshire Sub-Projects
- Yorkshire Mining Disasters
Check out some Yorkshire Resources here.
Suggestions for the Future
- Create a free space page to list of significant events and dates that had major social impact on the people of Yorkshire. e.g, The coming of the canals and opening of coal mines. Changes to the Fishing Industry. Wars and Battles, Epedemics. Disasters.
- Make a Free Space page listing Yorkshire Churches and the years their records started and where they are held.
- Make list of Famous People from Yorkshire and create profiles for them. See Famous People from Yorkshire and Wikipedia.
Team Members Specific Interests
|Team Member||Interests||Currently working on|
|Joan Whitaker||The West Riding. The Yorkshire Coal Mining Industry||Own Family, Yorkshire Coal mining disasters - Creating profiles for those killed in Colliery Disasters and their family members. Yorkshire unknowns|
|Carol Gilbert||The East Riding of Yorkshire||Own Family, Developing earlier profiles and cleaning profiles for Foothead, Kellington, Smelt, Stather, Jewitt and Lund in particular, Extending family links, Building area knowledge, and investigating wills.|
|Richard Crane||The villages between Wakefield and Huddersfield||Own family were shepherds in Norfolk and came north to become coal miners following the decline of farming.|
|Lynn Drasdo||West Riding, especially Bradford and surrounding areas such as Halifax, Dewsbury||Sourcing Yorkshire profiles, mainly 1500- 1700 at the moment, own tree Robertshaw/Harrison/Richardson|
|Paul Shepard||Handsworth, Dewsbury, Sheffield area||Family connections including the Herring, Medley, Payne and Scothorne variants.|
|Dave Welburn||As a true Yorkshireman, Iam intersted in the whole county. My own family stretches from Hull in the south, the East Coast, Up past Durham, and over in the west to Halifax and Sheffield.||Tidying up my own lines, i.e. checking sources, categorising, and general clean up. At the same time working on other areas of the country, following the source-a-thon.|
|Michael Cayley||Cayleys of Brompton and families with which they intermarried; Legard family; Yorkshire Quakers; some Yorkshire notables||Cayley and Legard families and their connections; Quakers|
|Jen Hutton||North Riding and the city of York; Hutton family and their connections||Husband's family includes two Archbishops of York, a number of Sheriffs of Yorkshire, and other notables who I would like to develop profiles for; working currently on making a dent in our unsourced profiles and beginning work toward pre-1500 certification.|
|Fred Adamson||West Riding. Bradford, Keighley, Addingham, etc. Family names Stowell, Armitage, and more.||Working specifically on "Unsourced" and Orphaned profiles in multiple counties.|
|Jean Brooks||North Riding, Bedale; West Riding around Leeds; and Hatfield near Doncaster, bordering into Lincolnshire and Isle of Axholme. Also other counties adjacent to Yorkshire.||Sorting my own profiles and extending the families. Adding sources to unsourced profiles and learning more about WikiTree.|
|Elaine Mattsen||Adding to my own profiles, sourcing in general and Yorkshire profiles||Family names I am extending are Cleverly, Vizzard, Clements, Yeodell|
|Sam Steel||My main interest is Middlesbrough and the surrounding area but I have ancestors from all over the entire county.||Currently adding detail to my already added profiles..|
|David Stephenson||Hull, East Yorks, North Yorks, North Lincs including the Isle of Axholme, North Eastern Scotland||Extending own my family on WikiTree. Working on Yorkshire Unsourced Profiles.|
|Louis Ogden||I am primarily focused on area around Bingley, Bradford and Halifax parishes.||My Ogden ancestors emigrated to America from the Bingley about 1640. In researching them, I have developed quite a genealogical database of folks from Halifax/Haworth/Bradford/Bingley Parishes and intend to work at getting them all into WikiTree.|
|Carol Thoma||Many of my ancestors are from Yorkshire. Right now, I'm just getting familiar with the project and deciding which profiles I want to work with.|
|Sondra Marshall||The East Riding of Yorkshire||Primarily working on my own extended family located in and near Hull, Market Weighton, South Cliff, North Newbald, and Skeffling.|
|David Knapp Sr|
|John Machell||Yorkshire||My current focus is the creation of profiles for the Machell One Name Study; especially those in Yorkshire, where I was born. I am also working on unsourced Yorkshire profiles, profile improvements, and completing the England Orphan Trail|
|Susie Officer||Interests: Customs and whaling industry (ex. Hull) and glass enamellers.|
Names: Beilby/Bielby. Also; Boyes, Danby, Simpson, Hawkins, Briggs, Drinkrow, Sawden
|Working on: The family of Robert Beilby (bef.1813-bef.1860) who...|
|Doug Warren||General work on Yorkshire and working with the team; focus on Great Ouseburn, Thornhill, Manningham, Bradford, Cottingham, Kingston upon Hull||Maternal 2nd great grandfather William Kay (1835–1919) who immigrated to US from Yorkshire; I currently had his as son of George Samuel Kay and Mary (Niehaus Kay. However, I'm exploring family of notable Ellis (Cunliffe) Cunliffe-Lister-Kay (1774–1853 of Manningham, because his 2nd wife Mary (Kay) Cunliffe-Lister-Kay (1774–1844) , who was the daughter of William Kay (–1842) of Cottingham, near Hull. I'm currently doing research trying to resolve these linkages, especially for the William's and Mary's .|
|Maureen Fearn||Sheffield Area, especially parishes of Bradfield and Ecclesfield||Working on father's line family names and suggestions in Yorkshire, generally|
|Graham Farmer||Dearne Valley Area||Working mainly on own family and improving South Yorkshire profiles|
|Ann-Marie Hamblett||Working on Yorkshire profiles and sourcing|
|Raewyn Vincent||East Riding, Swine Parish, Holderness area and Hull.||Working on Carrick name, primarily in East Yorkshire at the moment. Also working on database suggestions and sourcing.|
|Susan Pearson||Surnames: Hitch, Harding, Sowry & Medley and some Yorkshire notables||Working on https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Space:Portrait_of_Yorkshire_Worthies|
- Login to request to the join the Trusted List so that you can edit and add images.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: Joan Whitaker and England Project WikiTree. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)