Surnames/tags: Zalewski Zaleski Salewski
This is a project that we hope will become a valuable reference point for any Zalewski researchers alike to share their knowledge by posting their DNA tests, resources, pictures, stories, and anything else of interest to this surname.
Please join by contacting the project leader, Brian Zalewski. See the section on goals and what you can do below. Post questions and comments to the bulletin board and add details about your particular area of interest.
The Zalewski surname is Polish: topographic name for someone who lived by a flood plain or a bay, Polish zalew, or a habitational name for someone from a place named with this word, in particular Zalew in Sieradz voivodeship or Zalewo in Olsztyn voivodeship. There has been considerable confusion with Zaleski.
This surname study is still very new. Currently, it mainly includes Zalewski lines from the Milwaukee, Wisconsin area, though there are some from Michigan and New Jersey. The main goal would be to try to at least connect some of these lines back to Poland/Prussia/Russia/Germany where the Zalewski name seems to originate.
The purpose of this study is to bring together any Zalewski descendants who are willing to work together to establish an accurate Zalewski Family tree by using the best possible sources available for documentation to make new connections. There are many spelling variations (i.e., Salewski, Zaleski.)
What Can I Do?
- Work together with other Zalewski profile managers to create the best Zalewski tree possible.
- Add the Zalewski Name Study category to profiles.
- It's always best to look for original rather than derivative documentation and add sources to your Zalewski profiles.
- Write comprehensive, well-sourced biographies.
- Check for duplicates and request merges.
- If you are a male with the Zalewski surname or a variant and haven't already, please consider testing your yDNA through Family Tree DNA so that we can all have a better understanding of our heritage and possibly make new discoveries.
- Do you have a Zalewski profile you are especially proud of? Let Brian know and we can feature it on this page.
DNA is becoming a very important piece to our genealogy research toolbox. As they say, DNA doesn't lie. Currently, we're only aware of a few Zalewski descendants who have been tested and are available on GedMatch, including Brian and his father John.
Their Y-DNA line is matched as R-Z283.
There are a few other Zalewskis tested on 23andMe and Ancestry.
See other Zalewski profiles that are connected to DNA tests on WikiTree.
Country of Origin
Current research points to modern day Poland being the origin of the Zalewski surname, though there are definitely lines that have been found in Germany and Russia (usually ending in -sky.) Furthest lines have been found in central and north-central Poland.
More specifically, they have broken his yDNA down to Z282>Z280>CTS1211>YP343>YP340*-z (YP340 not tested, more STRs and/or Big Y needed) This test is currently only done at 37 markers, but will hopefully be upgraded or other STRs tested.
This "subclade" puts the origin of this specific Zalewski line into Central & Northern Europe (e.g., Poland) possibly around the Carpathian Mountains.
Confused by a lot of the terminology related to genetic genealogy? Hop on over to the International Society of Genetic Genealogy's Wiki (ISOGG) for tons of helpful information.
Here are some Zalewski lines that were collected via the Zalewski Family Facebook Group and the ongoing Zalewski Project Website. Currently, most of these lines are from the Milwaukee area, please help by adding more.
You can also see all profiles linked to the study by viewing the Zalewski Name Study category.
|ID||Earliest Ancestors||Earliest Date||Earliest Location||Current/Main Location||Y-DNA||GEDMatch Genesis ID(s)||Notes|
|A||Martinus Zalewski / Marianna Sobotka||1820||Krottoschin, Löbau, West Prussia, Prussia, Germany - Marriage in 1820||Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States||R-Z283||PT5895258, QC1262390|
|B||August Zalewski / Julianna Wyttbrut||1851||German Poland||Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States|
|C||Andreas Zalewski / Hedvigis Balcerzak||1839||Jaksice Parish, Inowrocław, Poland (Jakschütz) - Marriage in 1839||Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States|
|D||Leon Zalewski / Emilia Koszela||1920s/30s||Koszalin, Koszalin County, Poland||Sterling Heights, Michigan, United States||Possible connection to Line A. Some notes mention Leon's father being cousins to Frank of Line A.|
|E||Peter Zalewski / Julia Blasyewicz||1870||Western Poland (West Pruessen, Germany)||Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States|
|F||Michael Zalewski / Magdalena Szymanska||1858||German Poland||Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States|
|G||John Zalewski / Marianna Unknown||1829||Suwalki, Suwałki County, Podlaskie Voivodeship, Poland||Stevens Point Wisconsin, United States||Connects to Jacob Zalewski line (A) via Ambrose Zalewski (H) marrying Phyllis Zalewski (A)|
|H||Vitold Zalewski / Josphae Brzostouska||1885||Poland||New Jersey, United States|
|I||Simon Zalewski / Eva Zalewska||1794||Peterwitz, Rosenberg, West Prussia, Prussia, Germany||Fittowo, Löbau, West Prussia, Prussia, Germany|
|J||Friedrich Zalewski / Eva Kochanowska||1846||Krottoschin, Löbau, West Prussia, Prussia, Germany||Krottoschin, Löbau, West Prussia, Prussia, Germany|
|K||Adamus Zalewski / Catharina Schwankowna||1785||Fittowo, Löbau, West Prussia, Prussia, Germany||Krottoschin, Löbau, West Prussia, Prussia, Germany|
|L||Michael Zalewski / Louisa Radke||1833||Stradem, Rosenberg, West Prussia, Prussia, Germany||Stradem, Rosenberg, West Prussia, Prussia, Germany|
Even within one family, there are many pronunciations of the surname. Most seem to pronounce it like it looks in American English, which is Zuh-loo-ski. Other family members have pronounced it closer to the original Polish like Zuh-leff-ski. Others pronounce it Zuh-less-key. This doesn't include how other people try to pronounce it when reading your name.
- Zalewski Family Facebook Group - For discussions, sharing, and questions on the Zalewski lines. Meet your distant cousins!
- The Zalewski Project website - the main "headquarters" of the Zalewski Surname Study. Lots of other information including an interactive tree. A lot of the information will probably move here very soon.
- ↑ Source: Dictionary of American Family Names ©2013, Oxford University Press'
- Login to request to the join the Trusted List so that you can edit and add images.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: One Name Studies WikiTree and Brian Zalewski. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)