ZEBRA PASSENGER LIST FROM HAMBURG TO PORT ADELAIDE, SOUTH AUSTRALIA
On 2nd January 1839 the Zebra under Captain Dirk Hahn arrived at Port Adelaide with 187 further religiously motivated settlers, mainly from the village of Kay in Züllichau District, Brandenburg. They had a rough and stormy journey, and 6 adults and 5 children had died on the voyage from a fever that broke out on the ship. During the journey Captain Hahn was impressed with the behaviour and attitude of the emigrants, and he arranged a lease for them on good land that he had visited in the Adelaide Hills. His passengers founded a village there a few months after their arrival (at first they lived in the existing German village of Klemzig near Adelaide), and named the new village Hahndorf after the captain in gratitude for his help.
Other Links to Passenger List
Even before the 'Zebra' left the wharf two children had died. Eight days later two more had died and several more were ailing. Dr Mathieson, who had been appointed to keep order and to distribute provisions, tried in vain to persuade the captain to put into harbour to allow the sick to recover. This scheme was considered impractical. By 24 September the eighth corpse had been buried at sea.
- After leaving Altona, the 'Zebra' reached Holdfast Bay (Adelaide) on Friday, 28 December 1838 and Port Adelaide, known as Port Misery, four days later on Wednesday, 2 January 1839. The 'Zebra' started with 106 adults and 91 children as passengers. Six adults and five children died on the voyage. The 'Zebra' was the first ship to fly a foreign flag in the port, and as a result attracted considerable interest.
Ship Zebra, 350 tons, Captain Dirk Meinerts Hahn, from Altona 12th August, Hamburg 21st August 1838, arrived at Holdfast Bay (Glenelg) 28th December 1838 & Port Adelaide, South Australia 2nd January 1839, Dr. Matheison, ships' surgeon and a crew of 16 men.
The South Australian Gazette & Colonial Register, Saturday January 5th, 1839 December 28— The Zebra, 344 tons, Hahn Master, from Altona, with 189 German emigrants:— 100 barrels of pork, 100 barrels of flour, 2 boxes boots and shoes, 18 water casks & 40,924 bricks.
Kook, Hermann Friedrich Surveyor / Farmer from Lübeck cabin passenger
Bartel, Christian age 44 Thresher / Gardener from Möstchen, Brandenburg
- Maria Elisabeth (nee Kirschke) 41
- Johanne Luise age 21 Anna Maria age 16 Dorothea Elisabeth age 12 Johanne Karoline age 6
Bartel, Gottlob age 41 Cottager from Möstchen, Brandenburg
- Elisabeth (nee Binder) age 40
- Johann Wilhelm age 19 Maria Elisabeth age 14 Johann Gottfried age 8 Johann Gottlob age 4 Johann Christoph age 9 months
Bartsch, Johann Samuel age 37 Joiner from Skampe
- Eleonore (nee Meissner) age 38
- Johann Gottlieb age 10 Johann Friedrich age 7 Johann Christian age 5 Johann August age 3 Johanne Eleonore age 2 Johann Samuel age 3mo.
Berndt / Behrend, Gottfried 35 Shoemaker from Schwiebus
Boehm, Johann Georg age 42 Cottager from Muestchen
- Johann Karoline (nee Konig /Koenig) age 37
- Johanne Luise age 15 Johanne Eleonore age 11 Johann Ernst age 8 Johanne Karoline age 6 Johanne Dorothea age 3 Traugott Wilhelm age 1
Bothe, Christian age 59 Merchant from Krummedorf
- Anna Maria (nee Korber/Koerber) age 54
- Luise age 21
Brettig / Braettig, Samuel age 42 Shoemaker from Breatz, near Tirschtiegel
- Johanne Luise age 44
- Karolina Ernestina age 16 Hermine Florentine age 10 Hermann Reinhold age 3 Augusta Emelia Julia age 12 (previously unrecorded on passenger list)
Dohnt / Dohnke, Johann Gottfried age 43 Small Cottager from Guhren, Brandenburg
- Anna Dorothea (nee Neumann) age 40
- Anna Dorothea age 20 Johann Gottlieb age 19 Johanne Luise age 16 Johann Gottfried age 13 Johann Christian age 10 Johann Georg age 8 Maria Elisabeth age 3
Jaensch Christian 40 Farmer Kay Maria Elisabeth (Klenke) 39 Johanne Dorothea 15 Johann Gottlob age 13 Johann Christian age 9 Johann Friedrich Traugott age 6 Maria Elisabeth age 5 Johann Luise (Hanna Louise) age 2
Klenke, Christian age 51 Day-labourer from Kay died at sea Anna Elisabeth (Gierke) age 49 Johanne Dorothea age 21
Kluge Eleonore 55 Day-labourer Nickern widow Richstieg ? Christian 19 daughter 15
Liebelt Johann Christian 38 Shepherd Nickern Maria Elisabeth (Kuchel) 40 Johann Gottlieb 14 Johann Christoph 12 Johanne Eleonore 5
Liebelt Johann Christoph 33 Tailor Nickern Anna Dorothea (Wolf) 30 Johann Friedrich August 7 Johanne Luise 4 Johann Gottfried 1
Lubasch, Gottfried age 49 Cottager from Rissen / Riesen * Johanne Eleonore Henriette' age 16 daughter of 1st marriage *Anna Dorothea (Greiser) age 41 second wife * Anna Dorothea Luise age 13 *Johanne Karoline age 11 *Anna Dorothea age 5 *Maria Elisabeth age 3 *Anna Elisabeth age 6mo.
Neumann, Gottfried age 42 Cottager from Kay *Anna Maria (Pfeiffer) age 44 Luise age 12 (Married Johann Karl Friedrich Lauaterbach 11 Feb 1847) Johann Friedrich August Edmann age 10 Wilhelm age 8 Maria Elisabeth age 3
Nitschke Johann Gottlob (also known as Gottlieb) age 30 Wheelwright Kay
- Anna Dorothea (nee Hirthe) age 34
- Friedrich Wilhelm 6
- Maria Elisabeth 3 (died during voyage)
- Anna Dorothea 5mo. (died during voyage)
Nitschke Samuel age 48 Small Cottager from Lochow Anna Elisabeth (nee Grieger) age 42 Johann Gottlieb age 18 Johann Gottfried 14 Johanne Eleanore age 12 Johann — 6 Johann Traugott 2 Johanne Luise 1mo.
Paech Friedrich 32 Cottager / Joiner Nickern Johanne Luise (Jachning) 36 Johanne Karoline 7 Johanne Eleonore 5 Johanne Luise 2
Paech, Johann Georg age 45 from Kay
- Johanna Karaline (nee Klenke) 1st wife died Germany
- Anna Rosina (nee Richter) age 27 2nd wife
- Maria Elisabeth age 4 Johann Friedrich age 2
Paech, Johann Friedrich age 36 Farmer from Rentschen
- Anna Dorothea (nee Kramm) age 33
- Johann Friedrich Wilhelm age 12 Johann August age 9 Johanne Dorothea age 5 Johann Gottlieb age 3 Johann Friedrich age 6mo.
- Johann Gottlieb age 18 Johann Gottfried age 17 Anna Elisabeth age 12 Johann Georg age 8 Anna Luise age 6 Johann Christian age 3
Pfeiffer Johann Georg age 59 Thresher / Gardener from Rackau Christiane (Schliefke) age 60 Johanne Eleonore age 30 Johann Christian age 26 Maria Elisabeth age 18 Johann Gottlieb age 16 Johann Wilhelm age 12
Rillright Gottfried 44 Colonist Friedrichsfelde Anna Dorothea (Woith) 43 Johann Gottlob 20 Dorothea Elisabeth 17
Schmidt, Gottlob age 50 Day-labourer Skampe Anna Dorothea (nee Kluge) age 50 (3th Great Grandfather and Grandmother of Debra Dienelt Anna Dorothea 20 Dorothea Elisabeth 17 Gottfried 16 Johann Gottlob 13 Anna Elisabeth Rosina 10
Schultz Johann Christoph age 47 Colonist of Klippendorf Johanne Dorothea (Frank) 49 Johann Christian 28 Karl August 20 Johanne Luise 7
Schultz Dorothea Elisabeth (Paech) 42 widow Rentschen sister of J.F. Paech Johanne Eleonore 12 Johann Gotthilf 8
Steicke / Steike, Johann Samuel age 40 Day-labourer from Kay
- Johanna Dorothea (Paech) age 36 (4th Great Grandfather and Grandmother of Debra Dienelt
- Johann Gottlieb age 15 Johanne Eleonore age 13 Maria Elisabeth age 5 Johanne Luise age 2
Suess / Suss Johann Friedrich 67 Cottager Kay father-in-law of F.W. Nitschke Christiane (Theile) 67 Eleonore 43
Wittwer Johann Friedrich Wilhelm 38 Miller Guhren Johanne Leonore Henriette (Gerlach) 34 Friedrich Wilhelm 9 Johanne Karoline 6mo.
Zimmermann Johann Friedrich age 38 Freehold Gardener from Jehser
- Anna Elisabeth (Zimmermann) age 39
- Johanne Luise age 11
- Johanne Eleonore age 8
- Maria Elisabeth age 2
- Kluge Johann Gottfried 16 Farmer from Zullichau
- Linke Johann Gottlob 36 Farmer from Prussia
- Schirmer Gottlob age 28 Servant from Guhren
- Jaensch Maria 44 Kay sister of Christian
- Kirsch Friederike 56 widow Nickern mother of Anna D. Schirmer
- ↑ http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/page/22333245
- ↑ http://www.theshipslist.com/ships/australia/zebra1839.shtml
- ↑ http://www.familyhistorysa.info/shipping/passengerlists.html
- ↑ https://localwiki.org/adelaide-hills/Hahndorf_-_Emigration
- ↑ https://localwiki.org/adelaide-hills/Hahndorf_-_Emigration
- ↑ http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/228133718?searchTerm=%22Zebra%22%20%22hahn%22&searchLimits=sortby=dateAsc|||l-availability=y|||l-australian=y
- ↑ https://localwiki.org/adelaide-hills/FW_Nitschke
- Login to request to the join the Trusted List so that you can edit and add images.
- Private Messages: Send a private message to the Profile Manager. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)