In the Visitation of Bedfordshire, additional pedigrees, he is shown with wife Anne Clarke having four daughters:
- Mary wife of 1. John White of Nordiam, Sussex, 2. Thomas Ballard of near Wadehurst, Sussex
- Christian wife of Reignald Green of London
- Jane wife of Richard Cockerham of London grocer
- Margarett wife of Lawrance Green of London
It seems from the baptism register of St Stephen, Walbrook, that there were more children, who presumably died young.
The manor of Bramfield was alienated to John Forster and Margery his wife in 1557/8. On his death in February, 1559, Forster bequeathed the manor of Bramfield to his wife for the term of her life, with remainder to his son Humphrey, and in 1565 Humphrey conveyed it to John Spencer, gentleman. (Humphrey's sister Frances was married to John's son Robert). John Spencer, citizen and grocer of London, and George Smyth sold it in 1567. It seems that John the father acquired the property in 1565, and on his death in 1567 it was sold by his son, John the grocer.
His wife Anne Spencer was buried at St Stephen Walbrook, City of London, on 14 Mar 1580/1.
He married Margaret unknown at some time after Mar 1581. Her first married name was Green as in his will John referred to Lawrance Green his wife's son. Margaret remarried on 17 Dec 1584 to Thomas Tomlinson at St Stephen Walbrook. A litigation in 1596: Defendants: Thomas Thomlynson and Margaret his wife, widow of Lawrence Green deceased, who was uncle to Margaret Hall the plaintiff, and Lawrence Green, eldest son of Margaret and Lawrence. 
He made a will dated 1 Jan 1583/4 - John Spencer, citizen and grocer of London of the parish of St Stephen upon Walbrook, which mentions
- to be buried in St Stephen Walbrook next to late wife
- my wellbeloved wife Margaret
- my four children Christian, Jane, Margaret and Mary, all Spencer all under 20
- my brother Robert Spencer
- my daughter in law Bennett Wright
- William Tichborne my first wife's son
- my cousin Thomas Barnwell
- my cousin John Spencer
- my cousin Ann his sister
- my son Wright his step daughter's husband
- my sister Barnwell
- Lawrence Green my wife's son
- Thomas Green his brother
- John Green his brother
The will was probated on 16 Jan 1583/4
He was buried on 8 Jan 1583/4 at St Stephen, Walbrook, City of London.