John Stacy was born in April 1867 in Wisconsin. (1900, 1910 censuses)
His Hocąk name is given as ChoNoKayHinKah, which is for Cōną́kehįga, "Fur of Those Who Sit in the Blue", "Fur of the Bear Clansman". (1905 census) This is from Cōną́ke, the ancient name of the Bear Clan, or a member of that clan (< cō, "a color in the spectrum from blue through green"; -nąk, an auxiliary verb expressing the sitting position; -ge, "kind, sort, type, species"); hį, "hair (of the body), fur"; and -ga, a definite article suffix used in personal names. Bear Clansmen are called "Those Who Sit in the Blue" because it is believed that they can control the weather for ceremonies up to four days. The "fur" of those who sit in the blue is the blue sky. Coincidentally, his wife has the name Keracowįga, "Blue Sky Woman".
John Stacy was an important figure in the establishment of the Reformed Church among the Hocągara.
"It was just thirty-four years ago on another New Year Sunday,
January 2, 1898, that the foundations were laid for this present
congregation by the baptism of the first Winnebago converts.
They were John Stacy, Mrs. John Stacy and David Decorah. On
the next Sunday King of Thunder was baptized. Few of us
can realize what strength of purpose and sturdiness of character
were required of these four earnest and determined Christians
to enable them to be the first of their tribe to forsake the religion
and tradition of their fathers and embrace the Christian faith."
The congregational record states:
"On the thirteenth day of August, 1922, a number of Christian
Winnebago Indians, whose names are John Stacy, David W. Decorah,
Ed. Winneshiek, George Lowe, King of Thunder, William Waukon,
Frank Standing Water and Martin Lowe, assembled at the Winnebago
Indian Mission in the Town of Komensky, Jackson County, Wisconsin,
for the purpose of organizing them selves as a Congregation of the
Reformed Church in the United States, under the following Constitution,
and to be known by the name, Indian Mission Congregation."
John and Martha had the following children together (censuses):
Joseph (b. 1894)
John, Jr. (b. 1899)
James (b. 1903)
Alvin (b. 1904)
Helen (b. 1907)
Emma (b. 1909)
Tillie (b. 10 March 1912)
Esther (b. 1915)
He passed away in July 1956. (Marshfield NH)
1900 Federal Census for Brockway, Jackson, Wisconsin; Page: 9; Enumeration District: 0058; FHL microfilm: 1241792. United States of America, Bureau of the Census. Twelfth Census of the United States, 1900. Washington, D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration, 1900. T623, 1854 rolls.
1905 Indian census; Roll: M595_671; Line: 5. Indian Census Rolls, 1885-1940; (National Archives Microfilm Publication M595, 692 rolls); Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs, Record Group 75; National Archives, Washington, D.C.
1910 Federal Census for Brockway, Jackson, Wisconsin; Roll: T624_1713; Page: 10A; Enumeration District: 0074; FHL microfilm: 1375726. Thirteenth Census of the United States, 1910 (NARA microfilm publication T624, 1,178 rolls). Records of the Bureau of the Census, Record Group 29. National Archives, Washington, D.C. For details on the contents of the film numbers, visit the following NARA web page: NARA.
1923 Indian census; Roll: M595_168; Page: 51; Line: 16; Agency: Grand Rapids. Indian Census Rolls, 1885-1940; (National Archives Microfilm Publication M595, 692 rolls); Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs, Record Group 75; National Archives, Washington, D.C.
1937 Indian census; Roll: M595_573; Page: 89; Line: 1; Agency: Tomah Indian School. Indian Census Rolls, 1885-1940; (National Archives Microfilm Publication M595, 692 rolls); Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs, Record Group 75; National Archives, Washington, D.C.
1940 Federal Census for Komensky, Jackson, Wisconsin; Roll: m-t0627-04484; Page: 1A; Enumeration District: 27-20; Description: KOMENSKY TOWN. United States of America, Bureau of the Census. Sixteenth Census of the United States, 1940. Washington, D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration, 1940. T627, 4,643 rolls.
Marshfield News-Herald; Publication Date: 6 Jul 1956; Publication Place: Marshfield, Wisconsin, United States of America.