Quoted from Robert Stedman's page at the Robert Stedman's page at the Stedman Family Organization:
Robert Stedman was born at Hartford, Connecticut on 1 February 1657/8. (Different sources use different years, undoubted caused by mistakes in translating Julian and Gregorian dates.) He was cared for as a child by his older brother John after their parents died.
He removed to Windsor, Connecticut about 1690. He seems to have been active in church affairs, having in 1694 signed a petition for a minister in Windsor Farms, and obtained permission for his sons Robert and Joseph to sit on the beams of the meeting-house during service.
He removed to Lebanon, Connecticut before 1715. No record has been found of a Will, and no probate records are known.
He married Lydia Fitch or some other unnamed sister.
1. Robert Stedman, Jr., b. Abt 1684, d. 1721, East Windsor, Hartford Co., Conn.
2. Joseph Stedman, b. Bef 4 Apr 1686, d. 1762, East Windsor, Hartford Co., Conn.
3. Samuel Stedman, b. Bef 29 Jul 1688, d. Aft Jan 1730/31.
4. Mary Stedman, b. Abt 1693, d. 18 Mar 1772, Kent, Litchfield Co., Conn.
5. Thankful Stedman, b. 1 Feb 1694/95, d. Aft 1730.
6. Hannah Stedman, b. Bef Mar 1698/99.
7. John Stedman, b. Abt 1699, d. 23 Feb 1731/32, Lebanon, New London Co., Conn.
8. Thomas Stedman, b. Abt 1701.
"A subsequent wife was apparently the Mary Stedman admitted to the Lebanon church 4 Feb. 1733/4, and perhaps the 'Widow Stedman' who d. East Windsor 30 June 1740. In 1715, Robert [Stedman] gave his Podunk home lot, received in 1693 from his father-in-law Joseph Fitch, to 'my loving son Robert Stedman of Windsor' (Windsor Deeds 2:114, 4:56), who died there intestate and insolvent before June 1721... The lot reverted to the father, Robert, Sr., and his heirs. When they sold it in 1728, those heirs were Joseph Stedman of Windsor; Samuel Stedman 'of Cape Ann'; Samuel and Thankful Hutchinson, and Josiah and Mary Thomas of Lebanan; and Josiah and Hannah Burnham of Hartford (Windsor Deeds 5:352)."
Thanks to Ellen Blackwell for starting this profile. Click the Changes tab for the details of contributions by Ellen and others.
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Ancestry DNA.
Robert is 19 degrees from George Barnes, 24 degrees from Amy Utting and 17 degrees from Victoria of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland on our single family tree. Login to find your connection.