- Sir William Stewart, of Jedworth and Teviotdale
- d. 1402. Captured at Battle of Homildon Hill. Executed by Hotspur.
Disputed Parents and Siblings
- According to Medieval Lands, there were two Williams with the same mother ... this William being the first. Other sources dispute this position. For instance, Foster (1847) believes that William I (d.1402) belongs to another family entirely. In addition, their mothers are also disputed. Medieval Lands states that both were Turnbull's kids, while others state that William II (d.1429) belonged to Janet Keith.
Wives and children of Alexander of Darnley:
- John of Darnley, Constable of the Scots Army in France 1420-1429.
- William, ancestor of the Earls of Galloway
- Isabel Oliver (Father: Richard Oliver)
- Sherrif of Teviotdale
- Killed in Battle, age 46.
- ↑ The Scots Peerage, p. 145-159
- ↑ Paul, 1907, p. 159.
- ↑ Elliot, pp. 525/6
- ↑ Father: Sir William Keith of Galston; widow of Sir David Hamilton of Cadzow
- ↑ Paul, 1907, p.145-149
- ↑ Isabel Oliver. thepeerage.com; Father: Richard Oliver. thepeerage.com; Burke, 2003; Ancestry Family Trees: Princess Isabel /(Widow Sir Richard) Oliver née Stewart
- Elliot, G.F.S. (1897). The Border Elliots and the Family of Minto. David Douglas. Google Books.
- Foster, T. (1847). The London Quarterly Review, (pp.242). Google eBook.
- Stewart of Darnly. Medieval Lands v. 4. fmg.ac.
- Paul, J.P. (1907). The Scots Peerage founded on Wood's edition of Sir Robert Douglas's peerage of Scotland; containing an historical and genealogical account of the nobility of that kingdom, (Vol 4.).archive.org
- Kirkcudbrightshire, Scotland--Parish Records. ancestry.com.
- U.K. Probate Records Sir Roberts Peerage Woods Edition.
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
It may be possible to confirm family relationships with William by comparing test results with other carriers of his Y-chromosome or his mother's mitochondrial DNA. Y-chromosome DNA test-takers in his direct paternal line on WikiTree:
- Robbin Stewart : Y-Chromosome Test, haplogroup R-L21
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Family Tree DNA.
Images: 2 Collaboration
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: Michelle Brooks and Gay Brown. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)
On 5 Dec 2016 at 19:17 GMT Gay (Leonard) Brown wrote:
On 26 Jun 2016 at 12:36 GMT Allan Stuart wrote:
In trying to sort out the Category: Clan Stewart I have come up against the need to merge these duplications. However, first it will be neccessary to decide who are the parents of William Stewart of Jedworth.
On 16 Jun 2015 at 21:07 GMT Gay (Leonard) Brown wrote:
William is 21 degrees from Kevin Bacon, 13 degrees from Abraham Lincoln, 21 degrees from Ayn Rand, 24 degrees from Peter Roberts and 18 degrees from Queen Elizabeth II of the Commonwealth Realms on our single family tree. Login to find your connection.