Categories: American Revolution Veterans.
Captain Abner Stocking, Jr was born 2 Jan 1753 in Middletown, Connecticut. He was the son of Captain Abner Stocking, Sr and Ruth Higgins. 
Stocking who resided during the American Revolution at Middle Haddam, Middlesex, County, Connecticut assisted in establishing American Independence, while acting in the capacity of Private, enlisting May 6, 1775, in Captain Ezekiel Scott's Second Company, Brigadier General Joseph Spencer's 2nd Regiment; Marched to Roxbury, Massachusetts, assisted in the Siege of Boston, fought at the Battle of Bunker Hill.
He was detached and assigned to the forces in Benedict Arnold's Expedition  against Quebec, Canada. He was taken prisoner at Quebec on December 31, 1775. After his release he was discharged.
He married Lydia Bowers on 20 Feb 1777 in East Hampton, Connecticut. 
- ↑ White, Lorraine Cook, ed. The Barbour Collection of Connecticut Town Vital Records. Vol. 1-55. Baltimore, MD, USA: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1994-2002.
- ↑ Stephen Darley. Voices from a Wilderness Expedition: The Journals and Men of Benedict Arnold's Expedition to Quebec in 1775. AuthorHouse, Aug 5, 2011. p 64. 
- ↑ Connecticut. Church Records Index. Connecticut State Library, Hartford, Connecticut.
- An interesting Journal of Abner Stocking of Chatham, Connecticut Detailing the Distressing Events of the Expedition Against Quebec, under the Command of Col. Arnold in the Year 1775. Published by the relatives of Abner Stocking. Catskill, N.Y.: Eagle Office, 1810, 36 pages.
- Magazine of History with Notes and Queries, Extra Number 75, William Abbatt, Tarrytown, N.Y., 1921. 36 pages.
- Kenneth Roberts, March to Quebec, 1938. pp 545-575.
- The Maine Reader, Edited by Charles & Samuella Shain. Boston and New York: Houghton Mifflin and Company, 1991. pp 38-49.
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
No known carriers of Abner's ancestors' Y-chromosome or mitochondrial DNA have taken yDNA or mtDNA tests.
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Family Tree DNA.
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: Jenifer Henderson and Elizabeth Godwin. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)
There are no public comments yet.
Abner is 15 degrees from Kevin Bacon, 14 degrees from Abraham Lincoln, 24 degrees from Ayn Rand, 20 degrees from Peter Roberts and 17 degrees from Queen Elizabeth II of the Commonwealth Realms on our single family tree. Login to find your connection.