James II Stuart is a member of the House of Stuart.
James II and VII (14 Oct 1633 O.S. – 16 Sep 1701) was King of England and Ireland as James II and King of Scotland as James VII, from 6 February 1685 until he was deposed in the Glorious Revolution of 1688.
He was born into the house of Stuart and is the last Catholic monarch to reign over England, Scotland and Ireland.
James is the second surviving son of Charles I and ascended the throne after his brother Charles II died. Members of Britain's Protestant political elite increasingly suspected him of being pro-French and pro-Catholic and of having designs on becoming an absolute monarch.
When he produced a Catholic heir, leading nobles called on his Protestant son-in-law and nephew William of Orange to land an invasion army from the Netherlands, which he did in the Glorious Revolution of 1688. James fled England (and thus was held to have abdicated). He was replaced by his eldest, Protestant daughter Mary and her husband William of Orange. James made one serious attempt to recover his crowns from William and Mary when he landed in Ireland in 1689.
After the defeat of the Jacobite forces by the Williamites at the Battle of the Boyne in July 1690, James returned to France. He lived out the rest of his life at the French court sponsored by his cousin and ally, Louis XIV
m.1 Anne Hyde 3 Sep 1660 London. Issue.
1. Charles, Duke of Cambridge (22 Oct 1660 - 05 May 1661).
2. Mary II (30 Apr 1662 - 28 Dec 1694)
3. James, Duke of Cambridge (12 Jul 1663 - 20 Jun 1667)
4. Anne of Great Britain (6 Feb 1665 - 01 Aug 1714)
5. Charles, Duke of Kendal (4 Jul 1666 - 22 May 1667)
6. Edgar, Duke of Cambridge (14 Sep 1667 - 08 June 1671)
7. Henrietta (13 Jan 1669 - 15 Nov 1669)
8. Catherine (09 Feb 1671 - 05 Dec 1671).
m.2 30 Sep 1673 Mary of Modena. Issue:
1. Catherine Laura (10 Jan 1675 - 03 Oct 1675)
2. Isabel (28 Aug 1676 - 02 Mar 1681)
3. Charles, Duke of Cambridge (07 Nov 1677 - 12 Dec 1677)
4. Charlotte Maria (16 Aug 1682 - 16 Oct 1682)
5. James III and VIII (Jacobite) 10 Jun 1688 - 01 Jan 1766 m. Maria Clementina Sobieska. Issue.
6. Louisa Maria Teresa Stuart 28 Jun 1692 - 20 Apr 1712
It may be possible to confirm family relationships with James II by comparing test results with other carriers of his Y-chromosome or his mother's mitochondrial DNA.
Y-chromosome DNA test-takers in his direct paternal line on WikiTree: