|James II of England, Scotland, and Ireland
06 Feb 1685 - 11 Dec 1688
William III & II and Mary II
James II and VII (14 October 1633O.S. – 16 September 1701 was King of England and Ireland as James II and King of Scotland as James VII, from 6 February 1685 until he was deposed in the Glorious Revolution of 1688.
He was the last Roman Catholic monarch to reign over the Kingdoms of England, Scotland and Ireland.
The second surviving son of Charles I, he ascended the throne upon the death of his brother, Charles II. Members of Britain's Protestant political elite increasingly suspected him of being pro-French and pro-Catholic and of having designs on becoming an absolute monarch.
When he produced a Catholic heir, leading nobles called on his Protestant son-in-law and nephew William of Orange to land an invasion army from the Netherlands, which he did in the Glorious Revolution of 1688. James fled England (and thus was held to have abdicated). He was replaced by his eldest, Protestant daughter Mary and her husband William of Orange. James made one serious attempt to recover his crowns from William and Mary when he landed in Ireland in 1689.
After the defeat of the Jacobite forces by the Williamites at the Battle of the Boyne in July 1690, James returned to France. He lived out the rest of his life as a pretender at a court sponsored by his cousin and ally, King Louis XIV.
Albany County and Ulster County, both in New York State, were named in his honor during colonial times. New York itself - city, county (aka Manhattan) and state - are also named after him.
- m.1 Anne Hyde 3 Sep 1660 London. Issue.
- Charles, Duke of Cambridge (22 Oct 1660 - 05 May 1661).
- Mary II (30 Apr 1662 - 28 Dec 1694)
- James, Duke of Cambridge (12 Jul 1663 - 20 Jun 1667)
- Anne of Great Britain (6 Feb 1665 - 01 Aug 1714)
- Charles, Duke of Kendal (4 Jul 1666 - 22 May 1667)
- Edgar, Duke of Cambridge (14 Sep 1667 - 08 June 1671)
- Henrietta (13 Jan 1669 - 15 Nov 1669)
- Catherine (09 Feb 1671 - 05 Dec 1671).
- m.2 30 Sep 1673 Mary of Modena. Issue:
- Catherine Laura (10 Jan 1675 - 03 Oct 1675)
- Isabel (28 Aug 1676 - 02 Mar 1681)
- Charles, Duke of Cambridge (07 Nov 1677 - 12 Dec 1677)
- Charlotte Maria (16 Aug 1682 - 16 Oct 1682)
- James III and VIII (Jacobite) 10 Jun 1688 - 01 Jan 1766 m. Maria Clementina Sobieska. Issue.
- Louisa Maria Teresa Stuart 28 Jun 1692 - 20 Apr 1712
- mistress. abt 1665 Arabella Churchill. Issue:
- Henrietta FitzJames, (1667 – 03 Apr 1730)
- James FitzJames, 1st Duke of Berwick, (1670–1734)
- Henry FitzJames, 1st Duke of Albemarle, (1673–1702)
- Arabella FitzJames, (1674 – 07 Nov 1704), nun.
- mistress. Catherine Sedley, Countess of Dorchester (21 Dec 1657 – 26 Oct 1717). Issue:
- Catherine Darnley (d.1743)
- m.1 James Annesley, 3rd Earl of Anglesey
- m.2 John Sheffield, 1st Duke of Buckingham and Normanby.
- Banks, Dr. Charles E, The History of Marthas Vinyard, I, (Boston: G.H. Dean, 1911), 139, Internet Archive, (https://archive.org/stream/historyofmarthas01bank#page/n149/mode/2up/)
- The Complete Peerage Vol 1 P83 https://archive.org/stream/completepeerageo01coka#page/82/mode/2up
- Wikipedia: James II of England
- Wikipedia: Royal African Company
- King James, II Find A Grave Memorial #1976. Retrieved 23 sep 2016.
- This WikiTree profile is referenced from WikiData: Q126188 Wikidata Information Reasonator enwiki Ancestors (about wikidata)
- openplague.org King James II of England (1633-1701)
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
It may be possible to confirm family relationships with James II by comparing test results with other carriers of his Y-chromosome or his mother's mitochondrial DNA. Y-chromosome DNA test-takers in his direct paternal line on WikiTree:
- Robbin Stewart : Y-Chromosome Test, haplogroup R-L21
- Princess Alix (Hesse-Darmstadt) Romanov : Mitochondrial DNA Test Full Sequence, haplogroup H1af2, Mitosearch KJBBZ
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Family Tree DNA.
Images: 2 Collaboration
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: British Royals and Aristocrats Sixteenth Century to the Present WikiTree and John Atkinson. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)
On 19 Feb 2017 at 08:55 GMT C. Mackinnon wrote:
On 19 Feb 2017 at 08:41 GMT C. Mackinnon wrote:
On 27 Nov 2016 at 15:33 GMT Darlene (Athey) Athey-Hill wrote:
On 23 Mar 2016 at 17:21 GMT Kirk Hess wrote:
On 28 Sep 2014 at 01:34 GMT N (Sweet) S wrote:
On 23 Aug 2014 at 21:36 GMT Bob Fields wrote:
James II is 17 degrees from Kevin Bacon, 16 degrees from Charlotte Brontë, 17 degrees from Bob Keniston, 17 degrees from Ben Kingsley and 11 degrees from Queen Elizabeth II Windsor on our single family tree. Login to find your connection.