Categories: Royalty | Anglo-Spanish War (1585–1604) | Westminster Abbey | This Day In History June 19 | This Day In History March 27 | Dukes of Albany | Namesakes US Counties | House of Stewart | House of Stuart | Clan Stewart.
||James VI and I Stuart is a member of Clan Stewart.|
Join: Scottish Clans Project
||James VI and I Stuart is a member of the royalty, nobility or aristocracy in the British Isles.|
Join: British Isles Royals and Aristocrats 1500-Present Project
Mary, Queen of Scots
|King of Scots
24 Jul 1567 - 27 Mar 1625
|King of England & Ireland
24 Mar 1603 - 27 Mar 1625
James VI and I (19 June 1566 – 27 March 1625) was King of Scotland as James VI from 24 July 1567 and King of England and Ireland as James I from the union of the Scottish and English crowns on 24 March 1603 until his death. The kingdoms of Scotland and England were individual sovereign states, with their own parliaments, judiciary, and laws, though both were ruled by James in personal union.
James b.19 Jun 1566 Edinburgh Castle, Edinburgh, Midlothian, Scotland & baptised 17 Dec 1566 Sterling Cathedral, Sterling, Mid-Lothian, Scotland, was the son of Mary, Queen of Scots, and a great-great-grandson of Henry VII, King of England and Lord of Ireland (through both his parents), uniquely positioning him to eventually accede to all three thrones. James succeeded to the Scottish throne at the age of thirteen months, after his mother Mary was compelled to abdicate in his favour.
Four different regents governed during his minority, which ended officially in 1578, though he did not gain full control of his government until 1583. In 1603, he succeeded the last Tudor monarch of England and Ireland, Elizabeth I, who died without issue. He continued to reign in all three kingdoms for 22 years, a period known as the Jacobean era after him, until he d.27 Mar 1625 at the age of 58 in Theobalds Palace, Chesunt, Hertfordshire and was bur: 5 May 1625 Westminster Abbey.
After the Union of the Crowns, he based himself in England (the largest of the three realms) from 1603, only returning to Scotland once in 1617, and styled himself "King of Great Britain and Ireland". He was a major advocate of a single parliament for England and Scotland. In his reign, the Plantation of Ulster and British colonisation of the Americas began.
- 19 Jun 1566 – 24 Jul 1567: Duke of Rothesay, Earl of Carrick, Lord Renfrew
- 10 Feb – 24 Jul 1567: Duke of Albany
- 24 Jul 1567 – 20 Oct 1604: James VI, King of Scotland
- 24 Mar 1603 – 27 Mar 1625: James I, King of England, France and Ireland, defender of the faith.
- 20 Oct 1604 – 27 Mar 1625: King of Great Britain, France and Ireland, Defender of the Faith, ...
- Kung av England 1603 - 1625, kung av Skottland (som Jakob VI) 1567 - 1625
- James City, Independent City (county equivalent) in Virginia is named in his honor.
- Wikipedia. Wikipedia: James VI and I
- The Peerage. http://thepeerage.com/p10136.htm
- The Complete Peerage P82-83. https://archive.org/stream/completepeerageo01coka#page/82/mode/2up
- Thank you to Timothy Wells for creating WikiTree profile King Of Scotts-1 through the import of My-Family-6-Feb-2013.ged on Feb 6, 2013.
Click to the Changes page for the details of edits by Timothy and others.
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
It may be possible to confirm family relationships with James VI and I by comparing test results with other carriers of his Y-chromosome or his mother's mitochondrial DNA. Y-chromosome DNA test-takers in his direct paternal line on WikiTree:
- Robbin Stewart : Y-Chromosome Test, haplogroup R-L21
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Family Tree DNA.
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: Gene Adkins, Tim Theberge, Enrique Treat Gleason Aguiluz, Timothy Wells, Robert Graham, and Lindsay Coleman. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)
On 3 May 2016 at 04:58 GMT Donnie Blackstone wrote:
On 3 Jul 2014 at 18:45 GMT Gene Adkins JR wrote:
James VI and I is 17 degrees from Kevin Bacon, 14 degrees from Stephen Hopkins, 19 degrees from Ben Kingsley, 20 degrees from David Selman and 11 degrees from Queen Elizabeth II of the Commonwealth Realms on our single family tree. Login to find your connection.