Place: Sutton Family Cemetery, Coker, Tuscaloosa, Al
User ID: D95F6D35AB1D17419651A1DEC8955AD4EBA4
Type: Alternate Birth
Note: 1 _UPD 01 AUG 2010 22:17:31 GMT-6
2 _UID F5E70082-2C24-42CC-9387-764FA95DDDA5
2 _UID D482D1D8-991B-4431-A7C5-32F6CE610E07
2 _UID 9B3045EE-B9FD-4645-906D-4040BA2D2E17
1 _UID AC0C2028896D1C4F8B7B6A235591926DD9AE
1 _UPD 15 AUG 2010 20:58:15 GMT -0600
2 AGE 73-74`
The Sutton Family Cemetery is located off the Mt. Olive Road near the Partlow Camp in Township 20S Range 11W Section 12. Hidden in the woods, it has sustained the test of time. When the Partlow Camp was established decades ago, it gave refuge to this pioneer family cemetery.
The original pioneers in this cemetery are Abner Sutton and his wife Elizabeth Wilkins Sutton both born ca. 1780. They had three sons, William, George, Clements, and two daughters Nancy Jane & Martha. Abner & Elizabeth Sutton came to Tuscaloosa County from Smith County, Tennessee in the 1830?s and settled near what is now the Mt. Olive Road. They were members of Big Creek Baptist Church.
Their son, William A. Sutton, was born ca. 1806 in Georgia and died July 4, 1868. William married Martha Elizabeth Skelton born ca. 1810 in Georgia and died December 15, 1886. She was the daughter of James Robert & Rebecca Skelton.
In 1850, all three sons and their families are living in District 2 of Tuscaloosa County.
The cemetery has been well kept with updated memorial markers.