- From an audio recording of Alice Oxley talking of her family history is the information that the grandmother of Margaret Farquharson nee Allan was the cousin of Isabella Oxley nee Syme (Alice's grandmother). Alice talked of visiting Margaret Walsh nee Farquharson (daughter of Margaret Farquharson) in Adelaide. Margaret Walsh and her husband also visited the Pursells in Sydney.
Also in the recording is the information of Isabella being sent out to Australia to live with her Aunt, Aunt Euphemia Bowes (nee Allen) .
OXLEY.-January 24, 1931, at her residence, Lilern, Hotham-street, Gore Hill, Isabella, loving mother of Samuel, Thomas, Reginald, Arthur, Christian, Victoria, and Ada (Mrs. Pursell), aged 96 years.
The Rev R. B. Bowes, son of the Rev. John Bowes officiated at Isabellas's funeral.
She possibly has a middle name of Euphemia. On marriage certificate of her son William Iden Oxley are the witnesses Henry Rushby and Isabella E Oxley. Isabella had a daughter of the same first name with Christian as a middle name so the witness COULD be her. Both were alive at the time of William marriage.
Isabella: Reads and Writes (from immigration ships log). Aunt Euphemia living in Camden (Married to Rev John Bowes). Mother dead when immigrated. Father living in High St Edinburgh. To Australia on ship "Athenian" 15/12/1853, age 19, C of S. Reels 2137,2464 Sailed from Southampton. Buried Presbyterian cemetary, Northern Suburbs
birth: 23 Oct 1834
christening: 07 Nov 1834 — SAINT CUTHBERTS, EDINBURGH, MIDLOTHIAN, SCOTLAND
residence: 1834 — Edinburgh, Midlothian, Scotland
parents: Thomas Syme, Christian Allan
record title: Scotland Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950
name: Isabella Syme
baptism/christening date: 07 Nov 1834
baptism/christening place: SAINT CUTHBERTS, EDINBURGH, MIDLOTHIAN, SCOTLAND
birth date: 23 Oct 1834
father's name: Thomas Syme
mother's name: Christian Allan
indexing project (batch) number: C11990-5
system origin: Scotland-VR
source film number: 1040214
Owen and Isabella were witnesses to the wedding of Robert Kersley and Catherine Murray in Mudgee in 1867. http://homepage.mac.com/g.cheeseman/kersleysinoz.htm
Accidental Burning.-On Sunday last, Mrs. Oxley, Gladstone street, was standing before the fire, when her dress caught fire and immediately blazed up, enveloping her in flames. With the assistance of Miss Oxley, the fire was quickly extinguished, but not before Mrs. Oxley's right hand was severely burnt.-Mudgee Liberal, Feb. 19.
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
It may be possible to confirm family relationships with Isabella by comparing test results with other carriers of her mitochondrial DNA. However, there are no known mtDNA test-takers in her direct maternal line. It is likely that these autosomal DNA test-takers will share DNA with Isabella:
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Family Tree DNA.
Images: 5 Collaboration
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: Paul Bech and Vikki Watson. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)
There are no public comments yet.
Isabella is 22 degrees from Kevin Bacon, 27 degrees from Charlotte Brontë, 26 degrees from Bob Keniston, 25 degrees from Ben Kingsley and 17 degrees from Queen Elizabeth II Windsor on our single family tree. Login to find your connection.