Birth location had been Kentucky but last source shown states Vincennes, Indiana Margaret Mackall (Smith) and Zachary Taylor had three daughters and one son. Sarah Knox Taylor was their second child and spent some years growing up in military installations. Her father became a general and commanded forts; her mother provided most of her education. Sarah was given the nickname "Knoxie", which originated from her middle name and from Fort Knox II in Vincennes, Indiana, where she was born. In the early 1830s, her father commanded Fort Crawford at Prairie du Chien, Wisconsin, and was involved in waging the Black Hawk War. His wife and children were living there with him.
At age 17, Sarah fell in love with Jefferson Davis, a recent graduate of the United States Military Academy and a lieutenant, who was second to General Taylor at the fort. Davis was transferred to St. Louis in 1833, yet managed to keep in contact with the woman whom he wished to marry. Taylor admired Davis for his soldiering skills, but opposed the romantic match. The Taylors' older daughter had already married Army surgeon Robert C. Wood, and they were raising three young children in a desolate frontier outpost. Together with their own experience, the Taylors felt that the military life was too hard and did not want Sarah to be an Army wife.
Name: Jefferson Davis Birth Date: Birthplace: Age: Spouse's Name: Sarah Knox Taylor Spouse's Birth Date: Spouse's Birthplace: Spouse's Age: Event Date: 1835 Event Place: Jefferson, Kentucky Father's Name: Mother's Name: Spouse's Father's Name: Zacha... Taylor Spouse's Mother's Name: Race: Marital Status: Previous Wife's Name: Spouse's Race: Spouse's Marital Status: Spouse's Previous Husband's Name: Indexing Project (Batch) Number: M00574-7 System Origin: Kentucky-EASy GS Film number: 482706 Reference ID: bk 2 p 154
- Jefferson Davis first marriage was to Sarah Knox Taylor, the daughter of Zachary Taylor, on 17 June 1835. She died three months later on 15 Sept 1835.
-  Cooper, William J. (2000). Jefferson Davis, American. New York: Alfred A. Knopf. ISBN 9780307772640.
- Citing this Record:"Kentucky Marriages, 1785-1979," index, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/F43L-XXL : accessed 10 Apr 2014), Jefferson Davis and Sarah Knox Taylor, 1835; citing Jefferson, Kentucky, reference bk 2 p 154; FHL microfilm 482706.
-  Obit 
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
No known carriers of Sarah's ancestors' mitochondrial DNA have taken an mtDNA test and no close relatives have taken a 23andMe, AncestryDNA, or Family Tree DNA "Family Finder" test.
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Family Tree DNA.
Images: 1 Collaboration
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Send a private message to the Profile Manager. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)
There are no public comments yet.
Sarah is 16 degrees from Kevin Bacon, 12 degrees from Stephen Hopkins, 22 degrees from Ben Kingsley, 16 degrees from David Selman and 16 degrees from Queen Elizabeth II Windsor on our single family tree. Login to find your connection.