- Sarah (Unknown) Bracewell's Profile
- Family Tree & Genealogy Tools
Categories: US Southern Colonist.
||Sarah (Unknown) Bracewell settled in the Southern Colonies in North America prior to incorporation into the USA.|
Join: US Southern Colonies Project
Sarah Unknown was born on 16 Jan 1651 in Isle of Wight, Virginia Colony. There have been no records of her parents or maiden name discovered to date.
Sarah married Richard Bracewell Sr. about 16 Jan 1673 in Isle of Wight, Virginia. They had the following children:
- William Braswell,
- Richard Bracewell Jr.,
- Martha (Basewell) Murphy,
- Ann (Braswell) Edwards,
- Jacob Bracewell,
- Robert Braswell,
- John Bracewell,
- Jane (Braswell) Williams and
- Valentine Bracewell
Sarah died about 26 May 1735 in Isle of Wight, Virginia Colony.
Sarah's will was made in Isle of Wight Co., VA, on 20 Mar 1733/34. She left the bulk of her estate to her grandson, JOHN BRASWELL, JR., "except one Negro man named LIMESTONE," whom she left to her daughter, JANE Her son, JOHN BRASWELL SR. was named as executor and caretaker until his son became of age (21). His son, BENJAMIN was to have the first mare colt born and a slave. She also names JOHN's other children in equal shares of the estate: MARY, WILLIAM and SAMPSON. She appointed her on JOHN and his son, JOHN, as executors. Witnesses were RICHARD BLOW JR., SAMUEL SMITH and SAMUEL WILLIS. The will was probated 26 May, 1735 
An undocumented article in "Following the BRASWELLs in America 1600-1983," by Dr. R.B. BRASWELL identifies RICHARD's wife as SARAH SAMPSON and gives their wedding date as 16 Jan 1673.  No source was given and "Southside Virginia Families," by JOHN BENNETT BODDIE doesn't identify her surname. If she was a SAMPSON, she might have been a daughter of JAMES SAMPSON and ELIZABETH BARCROFT of Isle of Wight Co., VA. He is the only man named SAMPSON in that area who was the correct age to be her father. ELIZABETH immigrated in 1647 with CHARLES BARCROFT who may have been her brother. Other SAMPSONs in the Isle of Wight Co., VA, area were ELIZABETH, who married THOMAS CLARK and ANN, who married EDWARD MOSELEY. EDWARD MOSELEY was very wealthy. He died in New Hanover Co., NC, and owned land in Edgecombe CO., NC.
- ↑ Virginia, Isle of Wight County Records, 1634-1951 Wills and administrations bk II 1719-1760. Will Abstract of Sarah Braswell, drawn March 20, 1733/1734 and recorded May 26, 1735. Page: 65. Image: 85 & page 74.
- ↑ ncgenweb Libraries, Books and Microfilm: FOLLOWING THE BRASWELLS IN AMERICA: 1600-1980 by Braswell, R. B [n.p. : Pub by Author, 1973] Braswell Memorial Library-Local History-LH 929.2 BRASWELL 2-Non-Checkout [2 copies].
- "Wills and Administrations of the Isle of Wight Virginia 1647-1800 Book 1-3" compiled By Blanche Adams Chapman. Page 124. Braswell, Sarah, Leg. Grandson John Braswell JR, Dau. Jane ; Grandson Benjamin; to the other children of my son John, Viz, William, Mary, and Sampson. Executors son John Braswell and Grandson John Braswell. March 20, 1733/34. Recorded May 26, 1735. Wit Richard Blow Jr, Samuel Smith and Samuel Willis.
Searching for someone else?
- Sarah (Sampson) Bent
- Sarah (Barlow) Sampson
- Sarah Sampson
- Sarah Emma (Peary) Sampson
- Sarah (Sampson) King
- Sarah (Sampson) Wetherell
- Sarah (Upton) Sampson
- Sarah Sampson
- Sarah (MacFarland) Sampson
- Susannah Burgess
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
No known carriers of Sarah's mitochondrial DNA have taken an mtDNA test.
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Family Tree DNA.
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: US Southern Colonies Project WikiTree, Bob Carson, Rodney Bowers, Chris Harter, Theresa Reynolds, and K Clark. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)
On 6 Jan 2017 at 11:06 GMT Eric Daly wrote:
On 6 Jan 2017 at 11:00 GMT Paula J wrote:
On 6 Jan 2017 at 10:46 GMT Eric Daly wrote:
It takes a long time to find the truth. When I was 6 I remember an old man who used to talk to me when Dad wasn't around. His name was Lawrence Duffy who used to tell me about when he was in WW1. 40 years later after always asking my Dad who he was, its was my Dads father. I have the surname Daly but my grandfather was Lawrence Duffy. Nothing is what it seems till you actually find the truth.
On 6 Jan 2017 at 10:37 GMT Paula J wrote:
On 6 Jan 2017 at 10:16 GMT Eric Daly wrote:
Virginia, Isle of Wight County Records, 1634-1951 Wills and administrations bk II 1719-1760. Will Abstract of Sarah Braswell, drawn March 20, 1733/1734 and recorded May 26, 1735. Page: 65. Image: 85 & page 74.
All records are from the Isle of Wight Circuit Court and can be seen on Familysearch Free.
On 6 Jan 2017 at 09:15 GMT Eric Daly wrote:
The Authors of the various books on Wills, Inventries and Deeds use the same assets that I have. You have to buy their books if you can find one to buy. I will show you where we get them so you can get them free.
On 6 Jan 2017 at 05:51 GMT Paula J wrote:
On 6 Jan 2017 at 04:00 GMT Paula J wrote:
I've asked my researcher to take a last look for any documents that may have a LNAB. He is a whiz.
On 6 Jan 2017 at 03:42 GMT Paula J wrote:
On 6 Jan 2017 at 03:31 GMT Paula J wrote:
Ref. Sarah Braswell
An undocumented article in "Following the BRASWELLs in America 1600-1983," by Dr. R.B. BRASWELL identifies RICHARD's wife as SARAH SAMPSON and gives their wedding date as 16 Jan 1673. No source was given and "Southside Virginia Families," by JOHN BENNETT BODDIE, doesn't identify her surname.
Sarah is 17 degrees from Kevin Bacon, 12 degrees from Abraham Lincoln, 24 degrees from Ayn Rand, 17 degrees from Peter Roberts and 18 degrees from Queen Elizabeth II of the Commonwealth Realms on our single family tree. Login to find your connection.