||Stephanus Van Cortlandt was a New Netherland settler.|
Join: New Netherland Settlers Project
Stephanus van Cortlandt (May 7, 1643 – November 25, 1700) was notable as the first native-born mayor of New York City, from 1677 to 1678 and from 1686 to 1688. He was the patroon of Van Cortlandt Manor and was on the governor's executive council from 1691 to 1700. He was the first resident of Sagtikos Manor in West Bay Shore on Long Island, which was built around 1697. His brother, Jacobus Van Cortlandt also served as mayor of New York City. His wife, Gertruj Van Schuyler, was the sister of Pieter Schuyler, a colonial governor of New York and mayor of Albany.
Stephanus Van Cortlandt was born in 1643  and baptized in New Amsterdam on May 10 of that year, he was the first native mayor of New York City, and chief justice of the Supreme Court of New York. He married Gertrude Schuyler 10 Sep 1671 in New York, New York. 
Documents show he had owned 104 acres of uplands and 2 acres of meadow, deed 26 April 1700 by the widow to Garret Cooke, release of mortgage on the premises, neighbours Peter Praa and Joost Duryea. Image att of entry.  Note that this land had been purchased from Lawrence Cornelis Cook and his wife Margaritta c 1693/4. Conveyance entry on same page as above.
- Wikipedia Stephanus Van Cortlandt
- Enclycopedia Britanica http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/622603/Stephanus-Van-Cortlandt
- The New Netherland Project http://www.newnetherlandinstitute.org/history-and-heritage/dutch_americans/stephanus-van-cortlandt/
- Name: Stephanus /VAN CORTLANDT/
- Child: Stephanus VanCortlandt
- Child: Marritie Olaf vanCortlandt
- Child: Maria vanCortlandt
- Child: Johannes vanCortlandt
- Child: Fytie Sophia vanCourtlandt
- Child: Catherine VanCortlandt
- Child: Cornelia vanCortlandt
- Child: Jacobus vanCortlandt
- 1643 May 10 Stephanus, Olof Stephenszen, van Courtlant. Wit.: Govert Loockermans, Marritje Thymens. 
- 1671 Sep 10 Stephanus Van Courtlandt, j.m. Van N. Jorck, en Geetruijd Schuijler, j.d. Van Albania. 
- 1672 Oct 28 Johannes, Stephanus VanCourtlt., Geertruijd Schuijler. Wit.: Olof Stephenzen Van Courtlant, Margariet Slechtenhorst. 
- 1678 Nov 06 Olof, Stephanus Van Courtlt., Geertruijd Schuijler. Wit.: Andries Teller, Pieter Schuijler, Alida Schuijler. 
- 1680 Apr 21 Maria, Stephanus Van Courtlt., Geertruijd Schuyler. Wit.: Dr Hr. Egmond Andros Gouverneur, Rebecca der Val. 
- 1682 Jan 20 Gertruijd, Stephanus VanCourtlt., Geertruijd Schuyler. Wit.: Jan der Val, Cornelia Van Courtlant. 
- 1683 Aug 22 Philippus, Stephanus Van Courtlant, Geetruijd Schuijler. Wit.: Jacobus Van Courtlant, Brandt Schuijler, Margrietie Van Slechtenhorst, Maria Van Courtlant. 
- 1685 Aug 16 Stephanus, Stephanus Van Cortlant, Geertruijd Schuijlers. Wit.: Francois Rombout, Cornelia Van Cortlant. 
- 1687 Feb 23 Geertruijdt, de Hr. Stephanus Van Cortlant, Geertruijd Schuijler. Wit.: Philip and Brandt Schuijler, Catharina der Val, Margariet Schuijler. 
- 1688 Oct 07 Gijsbert, Stephanus V. Cortlt., Getruijd Schuijler. Wit.: Robbert Livingston, Secrets. tot N. Albanij, Anna Renselaer. 
- 1694 May 28 Elisabeth, De Hr. Stephanus Van Cortlant, Geertruijt Schuijler. Wit.: Mr. Chudleij Broeck, Costuijmmr. Mevrouw, Elisabeth Fletcher, h. v. de Hr. Gouverneur Fletcher. 
- 1696 Jul 01 Catharina, Colnl. Stephanus Van Cortlant, Geertruijd Schuijler. Wit.: Johannes Van Cortlant, Margareta Van Cortlant, huijsvr. van Samuel Baijard. 
- 1698 Jul 31 Cornelia, Stefanus Van Kortlant, Geertruijt Schuijler. Wit.: Samuel Beiard & Anna Maria Van Schaik, h.v. van Johannes Van Kortlant. 
- Wikipedia contributors, "Stephanus Van Cortlandt," Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Stephanus_Van_Cortlandt&oldid=718288644 (accessed July 10, 2016).
- NJGS. "Van Cortlandt: Van Cortland, Stephanus." njgsbc.org. Accessed 06 Jul 2016. http://njgsbc.org/files/BCFamilies/BCFam-VanCortlandt.pdf PDF
- Early New Netherland Settlers, by Robert Gordon Clarke URL: http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~rclarke/page1/staets.htm
- "The Goede Vrouw of Mana-ha-ta" by Mrs John King Van Renssalear NY 1898 https://ia600307.us.archive.org/23/items/goedevrouwofmana00vanruoft/goedevrouwofmana00vanruoft.pdf
- New York City Marriages, 1600s-1800s Author: Genealogical Research Library, comp. Publication: Online publication - Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2005. http://search.ancestry.ca/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=nycmarriages_ga&h=197606&ti=5543&indiv=try&gss=pt Marriage: 1671 New York, New York http://search.ancestry.ca/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=nycmarriages_ga&h=336043&ti=5543&indiv=try&gss=pt Marriage: 1642 New York
- Yates Publishing, U.S. and International Marriage Records, 1560-1900 (Provo, UT, USA, The Generations Network, Inc., 2004) http://search.ancestry.ca/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=worldmarr_ga&h=1252531&ti=5543&indiv=try&gss=pt
- Edmund West, comp. Family Data Collection - Marriages (Provo, UT, USA: The Generations Network, Inc., 2001) http://search.ancestry.ca/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=genepoolm&h=2496098&ti=5543&indiv=try&gss=pt Marriage: 26 February 1642
- New York Genealogical Records, 1675-1920 (Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2004) http://search.ancestry.ca/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=nygenrec_ga&h=704715&ti=5543&indiv=try&gss=pt
- Ancestry Family Trees Publication: Online publication - Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com. Original data: Family Tree files submitted by Ancestry members. http://trees.ancestry.com/pt/AMTCitationRedir.aspx?tid=32905041&pid=387
- Stiles, Henry R. A History of the City of Brooklyn (Brooklyn, N.Y., 1869)
- Vol. 1, Page 61: "These purchasses were subsequently confirmed to Colonel Van Cortlandt, by a grant from King William III., dated June 2, 1697. Van Cortlandt died Nov. 25, 1700, and on My 23d, 1712, his heirs executed a deed to Matthias Van Dyke, of property described as..."
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 New York City Marriages
- ↑ New York Genealogical Records
- ↑ Yates
- ↑ The Goede Vrouw of Mana-ha-ta by Mrs John King Van Renssalear NY 1898 https://ia600307.us.archive.org/23/items/goedevrouwofmana00vanruoft/goedevrouwofmana00vanruoft.pdf
- ↑ New York Conveyances.
- ↑ Wikipedia: Delancy Stephen (Etienne)
- ↑ Edmund West
- ↑ 8.00 8.01 8.02 8.03 8.04 8.05 8.06 8.07 8.08 8.09 8.10 8.11 Thomas Grier Evans. "Baptisms from 1639 to 1730 in the Reformed Dutch Church, New York." In Collections of the New-York Genealogical and Biographical Society. Vol. II. New York: Printed for the Society, 1890.
- ↑ Samuel S. Purple. "Marriages from 1639 to 1801 in the Reformed Dutch Church, New York" In Collections of the New-York Genealogical and Biographical Society. Vol. I. New York: Printed for the Society, 1890.
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
No known carriers of Stephanus's Y-chromosome or his mother's mitochondrial DNA have taken yDNA or mtDNA tests.
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Family Tree DNA.
Images: 1 Collaboration
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: New Netherland Settlers WikiTree and Veronica Williams. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)
There are no public comments yet.
Stephanus is 16 degrees from Kevin Bacon, 12 degrees from Lucrezia Borgia, 16 degrees from Emma MacBeath, 17 degrees from Charles Schulz and 10 degrees from Queen Elizabeth II Windsor on our single family tree. Login to find your connection.