||William van Keppel KG KB PC was a member of aristocracy in the British Isles.|
Join: British Royals and Aristocrats Project
William Anne van Keppel, 2nd Earl of Albemarle, was the son of Arnold Joost van Keppel, 1st Earl of Albemarle, and Gertrude de Quirina van der Duijn.
He succeeded his father as 2nd Earl of Albemarle [E., 1697] on 19 May 1718. He was invested as a Knight, Order of the Bath (K.B.) on 18 May 1725.
He held the office of Governor of Virginia between 26 September 1737 and 1754, but he never went to Virginia and was represented by deputies. He resigned as Knight, Order of the Bath in 1749. He was invested as Knight, Order of the Garter (K.G.) on 12 July 1750. He was invested as a Privy Counsellor (P.C.) on 12 July 1751.
He married Lady Anne Lennox, daughter of Charles Lennox, 1st Duke of Richmond, and Anne Brudenell, on 21 February 1722 at Caversham, Oxfordshire.
1. General George Keppel, 3rd Earl of Albemarle, b. 5 Apr 1724, d. 13 Oct 1772. Note: 5x-great grandfather of Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall, thus establishing Willem van Keppel as the nearest link between the two wives of Charles, Prince of Wales.
2. Admiral Augustus Keppel, 1st and last Viscount Keppel of Elveden, b. 2 Apr 1725, d. 3 Oct 1786.
3. Lt.-Gen. Hon. William Keppel, b. 5 Nov 1727, d. Mar 1782.
4. Rt. Rev. Hon. Frederick Keppel, b. 19 Jan 1728/29, d. 27 Dec 1777.
5. Lady Caroline Keppel, b. 20 Aug 1737, d. 11 Sep 1769.
6. Lady Elizabeth Keppel, b. 15 Nov 1739, d. 2 Nov 1768. Note: 5x-great grandmother of Diana, Princess of Wales
He died suddenly on 22 December 1754, in Paris, in his coach after supper, aged 52.
Have you taken a DNA test? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Ancestry DNA.
William is 16 degrees from Michael Collins, 16 degrees from Judith Resnik, 26 degrees from Ellison Onizuka, 34 degrees from Michael Phillip Anderson, 21 degrees from Sally Ride, 28 degrees from Wubbo Johannes Ockels, 20 degrees from Neil Armstrong, 19 degrees from Virgil Grissom, 21 degrees from Christa McAuliffe, 20 degrees from Dick Scobee, 17 degrees from Edward White and 15 degrees from Frances Piercy-Reins on our single family tree. Login to find your connection.