In the NYGBR article, Barth concludes that Pieter's wife's name may have been Lysbeth but there is no solid proof of her name. Pieter first appeared in Albany in 1652. Pieter's children are all assumed to have been born around 1640 in the Netherlands. Pieter's son Jan stated that he was from Amsterdam repeatedly but the family has not been found in the records of Amsterdam to this date.
That Pieter married the daughter of Sachem Caniachkoo was either the suggestion or conclusion of the 1956 article titled "The Easy-Going Van Woggelums" published in The American Genealogist volume 32. This is somehow based on the fact that Pieter's son-in-law, Jan Mangelsen, purchased land from Caniachkoo at Niskayuna.
Pieter's only known children:
Tryntje - married Jan Mangelsen before records begin in Albany. She baptized her last child in 1686.
1664 10 Feb Jan Pieterszen, young man from Amsterdam, to Styntie Jans, from Ootmarsum. Witnesses: Annetie Pieters, bridegroom's grandmother; Johannes Marcus, bride's stepfather; and Esje Hendricks, bride's mother.
1685 21 Oct Jan Pietersen Mackelick, widr. of Stynje Jans, born at Amsterdam, to Mrs. Hendrika Strockels, wid. of Monsieur Michiel Hamel, born at Deventer. 
Pieter - married first to Margareta "Grietie" Alberts in Albany before records begin.
1709 07 Dec Pieter Van Woegelum & Antje Van Winkel. Getrouwt 14 Dec. 
"Pieter Adriaensz, referred to as Pieter Adriaensz alias Soogemackelyck (so easy), and as Pieter Macklick (easy); was one of the tavern keepers in Rensselaerswyck whom the director general and council in 1656 ordered to be arrested and sent to New Amsterdam for refusing to pay the excise." 
Pieter Adriaensen Van Woggelum
Pieter Adriaense Van Woggelum
Born 1610 in Woggelum Amsterd, Noord-Holland, Netherlands
Barth, Barbara A. "Those Easy-Going Van Woggelums Again." In The New York Genealogical and Biographical Record, 20-28. 1st ed. Vol. 130. New York, N.Y.: New York Genealogical and Biographical Society, 1999.
Source: #S-1525611297: Page: 1 or more individual Ancestry Family Tree files were combined to create this source citation.: Note: Information extracted from various family tree data submitted to Ancestry.com and The Generations Network
Source: S944 Author: McCracken, Dr. George E. Title: Easy-Going Van Woggelums Publication: Name: The American Genealogist; Location: Demorest, Georgia; Date: 1956; Repository: #R7 Repository: R7 Name: Aemerican Ancestors Web Site Address: E-Mail Address: Phone Number:
↑ Theodore M. Banta. Year Book of the Holland Society of New York. New York: Knickerbocker Press, New York, 1897.
↑ Samuel S. Purple. "Marriages from 1639 to 1801 in the Reformed Dutch Church, New York" In Collections of the New-York Genealogical and Biographical Society. Vol. I. New York: Printed for the Society, 1890.
↑ Kiliaen Van Rensselaer and A. J. F. Van Lear. Van Rensselaer Bowier Manuscripts: Being the Letters of Kiliaen Van Rensselaer, 1630-1643, and Other Documents Relating to the Colony of Rensselaerswyck. Albany, N.Y.: University of the State of New York, 1908. 846.
This person was created through the import of 104-B.ged on 12 September 2010. The following data was included in the gedcom. You may wish to edit it for readability.
WikiTree profile Van Woggelum-17 created through the import of WORCESTER_2012-07-31.ged on Jul 31, 2012 by Bob Worcester. See the Woggelum-17 Changes page for the details of edits by Bob and others.
Note N14993Pieter Adriaense Van Woggelum was also known as:
Soogemackelyck (So Easy)
Note N14994Pieter Adriaenszem Mackelyck/Gemackelyck/Soogemackelyck, also called Van Woggelum, an innkeeper at Beverwyck, later Albany, is first seen on 3 December 1652 as a resident of the fort (Orange) when he was given permission by the court to tap. The next year he was fined for having tapped after the nine o'clock bell (curfew) and for using abusive language. He purchased a lot in Beverwyck 13 January 1655 from Adriaen Dirickse DeVries for f 112 plus the f8 patent fee.
On 3 May 1655 the tax collector was refused entrance to Pieter Adriaensen Soogemackelyck's beer and wine cellars, upon an order to gauge his casks for the farming of the excise (verpachtinge). Pieter insisted that "another gentleman was undertaking it" and that he was "forbidden to serve two masters." After his second refusal, on 23 July 1655, the officer and clerk, Johan de Deckere, arrested Pieter Adriaensen, but while under guard, he escaped. When found, Pieter said he would willingly return if the other two tapsters were also detained. On this final occasion he was represented and sustained by Jan Baptist Van Rensselaer, with the sheriff [schout] and the secretary of the colony (of Rensselaerswyck) in attendance.
That Pieter was literate (as were his children) is established by his signature on deeds and on a petition with other settlers to the magistrates in 1660, asking permission to act as brokers in the trade with the Indians. He appeared in court many times, both as plaintiff and defendant. On 19 November 1661 with Juniaen Teunisse and Arent Van Bergh, he offered himself as surety for f3,867 for Jan Gerritsen as Farmer of the Excise.
On 15 September 1661 he sold his Beverwyck lot at public vendue (auction), with the house and garden he had added, for f1,306 to Philip Pieterse Schuyler, the sale acknowledged as paid on 11 September 1664. Although he was one of the original proprietors of Schenectady in 166162, Pieter Soo gemackelyck may never have resided there. His 1664 patent for two Schenectady bouweries No. 4, of 14 and 12 morgens, totaling about fifty-two acres, was granted 5 June 1667. He sold these parcels to Helmer Otten on 13 August 1670, with a barn and rick, for thirty- five beaver skins, in exchange for an Albany lot with house and garden.
The year before his sale to Otten, on 11 February 1669, Pieter conveyed a lot with garden and fruit trees, in Lubberde's Land in Rensselaerswyck, to his son Pieter. From the records, his residence and tavern appear to have been in Albany in 1675 and 1678. In 1676 in reply to a summons by the court that the accounts of those making claims against the estate of Jan Stuart, deceased, be sworn, Pr. Soo Gemackelyck sent word that it was "beneath his dignity to take the oath." The sum due him was f126:12 in seawan. However, he later apparently relented. On subsequent occasions he did swear to his accounts against the estates of Juffrow Curler in 1677, and of James Penniman, deceased, in 1679/80. In 1679 Pieter was paid f8 in seawan due him from the estate of Nicholas van Rensselaer, for "plastering the cellar wall."
On 20 April 1685 "Pieter Adriaense van Wuggelum" and Jan Verbeek, sureties for the widow of Jochim Wessels, asked the court for permission to attach the estate and effects. They said the widow, Geertruy Hieronimus, was "non compos mends" and they would become liable for the many debts to the estate. Ten days later, on 5 May, the case was decided by fiat of the four justices, who ordered the estate to be inventoried immediately, the widow being "completely out of her mind."
Pieter was still living on 11 May 1685 when he sold a lot "on the hill" in Albany to Andries Teller. He was deceased prior to 18 June 1695 when Jan Pietersen, as the eldest son of Pieter Adriaensen Van Wog,gelum, quit claimed to Reyer Schermerhorn, who had married the widow of Helmer Otten, the property Jan's father had sold to Otten in 1670.
On 16 June 1697 the "widow Makelyk" appears on the list of heads of families in Schenectady, her household consisting of herself and one slave. There is a possibility that she was the Lysbet Mackelyck, deceased, for whom payment was made for use of the large (adult) pall, 17 May 1703 in Albany. Otherwise the name of Pieter's wife is unknown.
- The Easy-Going Van Woggelums Again. The New York Genealogical and Biographical Record. April, 1999. Vol. 130, No. 2. p. 20-28.
History of the Schenectady Patent
How the lands purchased by Van Curler from the Mohawks in 1661 were divided among the first proprietors.
Four different allotments were made to each of the first settlers; first, a house lot in the village; second, a farm on the Great Flat or islands; third, a pasture ground east of the village, and fourth, a garden lot in the lowland (laeghte) west, of Mill creek and near the Binneé kill.
First - House lots. The village plat originally embracing mainly the land lying west of Ferry street, was divided into four blocks, or squares, which were again subdivided into ample house lots. For protection this plat was early surrounded by stockades. As the population outgrew these narrow limits, house lots were assigned on the "Albany path" [now State street], so that before 1690 it was sparsely built up as far east as Lange gang (Centre street] and until about 1700, only the north side was occupied by houses. Front, Green and Union streets east of Ferry street, used for cow paths to the pastures and woodlands, were not then built upon. The little church and graveyard stood at the junction of State, Church and Water streets and the Dominie's house upon the site of the present church. Many of the original village lots were about 200 feet square - four to a block or square, but were early subdivided to meet the demands for residences within the stockades.
Second - The bouwland. The great tract of flat or bottom land bounded northerly by the river and State street, southerly by the sand bluff, easterly by Centre street extended south, and westerly by the hills west of the hills west of the first lock on the canal, embracing several hundred acres of arable land, was anciently called the Groote Vlachte.
It was mainly cleared land when the white man first occupied it in 1662, and had been the Mohawks' maize land perhaps for centuries. This and other parcels of like soil along the Mohawk, formed the main inducement for the Hollanders to settle here; in them they recognized the Polders of fatherland.(1) The bouwland was originally divided into twenty-three separate parcels and assigned to fifteen individuals, no one, with one exception, holding more than fifty acres, -all being served alike, quantity and quality [and convenience] considered.
The farm nearest the village embracing twenty-four acres was Van Velsen's, bounded by State street, Coehorn and Mill creeks as far west as, or near to Church street. This, together with the water privilege was granted in consideration of his building a grist mill on Mill Lane.
The second parcel consisting of about forty acres of bottom land, anciently called " Gerrit Symonse's meadow," commenced at or near the Coehorn kil at the south bounds of Van Velsen's land and extended southerly to and including "Veeder's Mills." This parcel has been preserved nearly entire and is mostly in the ownership and occupation of the Veeder family at the present time.
The third the largest and most valuable farm, embracing 114 acres, was Arent Van Curler's, called the first piece of land and after his death, Juffrow's landt. This was bounded northerly by the Binné kil, easterly by Van Velsen's farm (excepting a few gardens on the south side of Water street), southerly by "Gerrit Symonse's meadow," and by the sand bluff, or hills, as far as the Schermerhorn Mills, and westerly by farms Nos. 1 and 4, owned by Arent Biadt and Pieter Van Woggelum. The New York Central Railroad runs through the southerly end of this valuable tract, and the canal nearly through the middle of it. Van Curler fairly earned this distinction above his partners in this land grant, by reason of his great exertions and influence in procuring the extinguishment of the Indian title in the first place, and by his subsequent labors in acquiring patents for these lands from the Governor and Council.
The fourth large parcel of the bouwland called the second or foremost piece of land to distinguish it from Van Curler's which was called the first piece, lay next west. The east line of this tract ran along the west fence of the Schenectady car works yard, and so northerly to and around the east side of lot No. 1, belonging to Arent Bratt, following the small brook emptying into the Binné kil, a little east of the farm buildings of the late John Myers. The westerly line of this parcel was the Poenties kil and lot No. 10 belonging to Teunis Cornelise Swart. This second piece was divided into ten farms including De Winter's or Elias' Plantasie, by north-east and south-west lines from the river to the sand bluff, and by easterly and westerly lines nearly coinciding with the river road and canal.
The fifth parcel of bouwlands called the hindermost piece of land, commenced at the Poenties kil and extended west to the hills near the first lock, and was divided into ten farms by north-easterly and south-westerly lines from the river to the hills, and by easterly and westerly lines nearly coinciding with the canal and river road.
According to the measurements of that day the entire Bouwland consisted of
Van Velsen's farm 24
Gerrit Symonse's meadow 40
Van Curler's farm or first piece 114
The second or foremost piece of land, say 245
The hindermost piece, say 261
The gardens along the south side of Water street, say 10
It is quite evident that this measurement was much too small. Probably only the good, clear, arable land was taken into account in the above allotments, creupelbos and dovegats being excluded. Since that early day these have been cleared and filled, thereby much enlarging the area of arable land.
The second and hindmost great lots of the bouwlands including Elias' Plantasie were subdivided each into ten parcels of about twenty-five acres, numbered from 1 to 10, beginning at the easterly and westerly extremes of these two parcels, and proceeding towards the Poenties Kil (2), on the west side of which lay the two farms numbered 10, united into one. So that persons to whom were allotted numbers 1, 2, 3, &c., of the second near the village, drew also numbers 1, 2, 3, &c., of the hindmost parcel at the western extremity of the bouwland, and only one person had all of his land in one place, to wit, Teunis Cornelise Swart, the fortunate holder of the double farm numbered ten. This ingenious plan of allotment was contrived to prevent any one person obtaining an undue advantage over his associates by selecting all his land near the village.
Two other parcels of arable land separated from the Great Flat by the river, were also assigned at an early day, viz., Marten's or Van Slyck's, island comprising about 82 acres, patented to Jacques Cornelise Van Slyck and Jan Barentse Wemp: - and the flat lying west and south of the Lake in Scotia, granted to Sander Leendertse Glen, estimated at 50 acres.
Finally, on the eastern side of the village, between Front street and the river, was a strip of land called the Calver Wey, which was allotted to the first settlers in parcels of 2 ½ morgens, the easternmost lot being that of Jellis Fonda. Adjoining Fonda's lot easterly, was Hans Janse Eenkluy's bowery of 18 morgens, which, on his death, became the property of the Dutch Church,-a legacy for the benefit of the poor of Schenectady.
All lands lying outside of the palisades easterly of Ferry street, save the house lots on the north side of State street as far as Centre street, were originally allotted to individuals in parcels of a few acres as woodland or pasture ground.
ORIGINAL OWNERS OF THE TWENTY FARMS INTO WHICH THAT PORTION OF THE GREAT FLAT LYING WESTERLY OF ARENT VAN CURLER'S BOWERY WAS DIVIDED
Farms No. 4 were granted to Pieter Adrianse Soegemakelyk, alias Van Woggelum, June 5, 1667, the first containing fourteen morgens, and the second twelve morgens. - Patents, 478
Van Woggelum conveyed both to Helmer Otten, Aug. 13, 1670. - Deeds, II, 769
Ap. 6, 1681, Van Woggelum reconveyed the same to Reyer Schermerhorn who had married Otten's widow. - Deeds, II, 108
June 18, 1695, Jan, eldest son of Pieter Adriaense Van Woggelum, quit claimed the same to Schermerhorn. - Schermerhorn Papers.
Feb. 24 and Aug. 11, 1714, Schermerhorn and Claas Van Petten settle the disputed line between foremost farms No. 3 and 4. - Deeds, v, 222 341.
Feb. 27,1703. Catharine Otten, wife of Gerrit Symonse Veeder, exchanged eight morgens of the hoek [foremost farm, No. 9] with R. Schermerhorn for eight morgens of hindmost farm No. 4. - Deeds, v, 287.
The patent for R. Schermerhorn's mill privilege on the Schuylenbergh Kil [at Schermerhorn's mills], was given and recorded in the Secretary of State's office, in Boston, Mass., Sept. 29, 1688.
(1) Smith in his history of New York published In 1756, says, "the lands in the vale of Schenectady are so fertile that they are commonly sold at £45 [2.50 per acre. Though the farmers use no kind of manure, they till the fields every year and they always produce full crops of wheat or peas."
Note N14995Pieter Adriaensen Van Woggelum was orphaned about 1626, when their father, Anneken Pieter's first husband, Adriaen Joosten died. At that time, the widow and her two boys lived in the Spiringbuurt. In the documents of New Netherland, Anneken and her sons Jacob and Pieter Adriaensen are often given the by name Soogemackelyck. This name is Dutch for "so easy going." One source suggested that Adriaen Joosten was called Soogemackelyck because he was lame, and thus "so easy going."
Beware, there are errors among the descendants of Pieter. Some of what was printed in the 1956 article "Easy-Going Van Woggelums" by McCracken has been disproved. It appears that McCracken did not have access to the records of Richmond County, New York or the baptism records of the Staten Island DRC.
Van Woggelum-17 and Van Woggelum-2 appear to represent the same person because: This is the oldest paternal ancestor in this chain in need of a merge. No tree conflicts. These matches have been reviewed by the New Netherland Settlers Merge Approval System, and the "Green" destination NNS profile is protected as PPP, and the "Merge Pending" profile is now ready and able to be merged into it. I saved the data to the bios. Thanks!