||Barbara (Villiers) Palmer is a member of the royalty, nobility or aristocracy in the British Isles.|
Join: British Isles Royals and Aristocrats 1500-Present Project
Barbara became King Charles' mistress in 1660, while still married to Palmer, and whilst Charles was still in exile at The Hague. The Palmers had joined the ambitious group of supplicants who sailed for Brussels at the end of 1659. As a reward for her services, the King created her husband Baron Limerick and Earl of Castlemaine in 1661. In many contemporary accounts, including Pepys's Diary, she is referred to as "Lady Castlemaine".
- S. M. Wynne, ‘Palmer , Barbara, countess of Castlemaine and suo jure duchess of Cleveland (bap. 1640, d. 1709)’, Oxford Dictionary of National Biography, Oxford University Press, 2004; online edn, Jan 2008
- England Births and Christenings, 1538-1975 index, FamilySearch, Barbara Villiers, 27 Nov 1640; citing , reference ; FHL microfilm 908,519.
|Click Baptism Document to Enlarge|
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
No known carriers of Barbara's mitochondrial DNA have taken an mtDNA test.
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Family Tree DNA.
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Send a private message to the Profile Manager. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)
On 1 Aug 2014 at 22:55 GMT Betty (Delisle) Tierney wrote:
Barbara is 18 degrees from Kevin Bacon, 13 degrees from Abraham Lincoln, 21 degrees from Ayn Rand, 19 degrees from Peter Roberts and 11 degrees from Queen Elizabeth II of the Commonwealth Realms on our single family tree. Login to find your connection.