Categories: WikiTree Arborists | Scottish Clans Project | Wagon Trains and Trails Project | Washington Research Assistance | Puritan Great Migration Project | University of Washington | Clan Buchanan | En | De-1 | Fr-2 | Es-1 | Mayflower Descendants On WikiTree.
I was born and raised in Seattle, Washington, USA, and I still live in the Northwest.
I started genealogy more than 30 years ago. My father's family had been traced back to the Mayflower, and my mother wanted to get on too! Never did get her there, just to 1630.
My brother and sister, their children and in-laws have all been subjects of my genealogy hobby, so it ranges all over the United States and Europe.
I received an MA in German from the University of Washington and completed the coursework for an MA in French from New York University in Paris. After studying Law at the University of Puget Sound, I practiced as an attorney for 27 years before retiring.
Of course, genealogy is my all-the-time, every day, hobby. Sailing my primary summer hobby. Dad was a competitive sailor, and I grew up on boats. I race a Starboat and sail on a bigger boat. When I'm not sailing, I play classical guitar and spend 10-12 hours a day on WikiTree, to which I am addicted.
Interesting and unique names catch my interest. I am currently working on a number of One Name Studies:
1. George Washington - 10th cousins 6 times removed
2. John Adams - 6th cousins four times removed
3. Thomas Jefferson - 6th cousins four times removed
4. James Madison - 9th cousins five times removed
5. James Monroe - 14th cousins four times removed
6. John Quincy Adams - 7th cousins three times removed
7. Andrew Jackson - No relationship
8. Martin Van Buren - No relationship
9. William Henry Harrison - 7th cousins four times removed
10. John Tyler - 11th cousins four times removed (Uncertain)
11. James Polk - 14th cousins four times removed
12. Zachary Taylor - 4th cousins 7 times removed
13. Millard Filmore - 6th cousins four times removed
14. Franklin Pierce - 6th cousins four times removed (Uncertain)
15. James Buchanan - 12th cousins 6 times removed
16. Abraham Lincoln - 7th cousins four times removed
17. Andrew Johnson - 12th cousins twice removed
18. Ulyssess S. Grant - 7th cousins five times removed
19. Rutherford B. Hayes - 5th cousins four times removed
20. James A. Garfield - 8th cousins three times removed
21. Chester A. Arthur - 8th cousins twice removed
22 and 24. Grover Cleveland - 5th cousins four times removed
23. Benjamin Harrison - 9th cousins twice removed
25. William McKinley - No relationship
26. Theodore Roosevelt - 14th cousins once removed
27. William Howard Taft - 7th cousins three times removed
28. Thomas Woodrow Wilson - No relationship
29. Warren G. Harding - No relationship
30. John Calvin Coolidge, Jr. - 7th cousins once removed
31. Hebert Clark Hoover - 11th cousins
32. Franklin Delano Roosevelt - 8th cousins twice removed
33. Harry S. Truman - 18th cousins
34. Dwight David Eisenhower - No relationship
35. John Fitzgerald Kennedy - 18th cousins
36. Lyndon Baines Johnson - 14th cousins twice removed
37. Richard Milhous Nixon - 10th cousins
38. Gerald Rudolph Ford - 9th cousins
39. Jimmy E. Carter - 17th cousins
40. Ronald Reagan - 16th cousins (Uncertain)
41. George H. W. Bush - 8th cousins twice removed
42. Bill J. Clinton - 16th cousins twice removed
43. George W. Bush - 9th cousins twice removed
44. Baraka Hussein Obama - 9th cousins three times removed
On 6 Jun 2018 at 18:40 GMT K Raymoure wrote:
At this time in history, no thanks to anti-literacy laws placed on slaves and blacks (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-literacy_laws_in_the_United_States), age / birthdate is often unknown. Low and no literacy often correlates with not knowing one's birthyear, as does slavery :(
I haven't found records for his birthdate on the gravestone; both age at enlistment & birth year may have been guesses. I haven't found records for Sylvester prior to 1880, and don't know if he was born free or born into slavery.
Anyway, I'm working on 1,000+ soldiers of the 54th and uncertainty about age is a common problem during this time for black Americans. W/o more details, I'm not sure how to address age discrepancies in 100s of 54th profiles, but if you have an idea, knock yourself out.
On 27 May 2018 at 20:56 GMT Sara Mosher wrote:
On 24 Apr 2018 at 20:12 GMT Anonymous Pobke wrote:
Edit: I found your coding for the one name study so I'm adding it to profiles. Hopefully, I'll catch them all.
On 8 Mar 2018 at 20:35 GMT Diana Jackins wrote:
On 8 Mar 2018 at 20:21 GMT Diana Jackins wrote:
Thank you, Vic , Diana
On 23 Feb 2018 at 17:18 GMT Diana Jackins wrote:
On 13 Dec 2017 at 19:24 GMT Roger Carrier wrote:
On 13 Dec 2017 at 19:22 GMT Roger Carrier wrote:
On 9 Dec 2017 at 07:05 GMT Cheryl Aselin wrote:
On 27 Nov 2017 at 04:15 GMT Maggie N. wrote:
I hope you are vacationing on a sailboat!