- Mr Christopher Waugh an Old Colonist, who died in 1895, was one of the original party of settlers, who came out in the ship “Bombay,” in 1865. He was born at Penrith, Cornwall, England, in 1839, and was brought up as a coal miner. On his arrival in New Zealand, he secured a ten-acre grant in the Bombay district, and bought seventy-one acres near the school in Paparata in 1873. This property was all brought into cultivation during Mr. Waugh's lifetime. He took considerable interest in educational matters, and served for some time on the local school committee. Mr. Waugh was married, in 1862, to a daughter of Mr. Walton Smith, sometime of Cambridge, and left four sons and four daughters.
- Citing The Cyclopedia Of New Zealand (Auckland Provinvial District)
- There is a flaw in the above there is no Penrith in Cornwall. Also I have doubts he was ever a miner. If he was it was a very short period.
- However there is a Penrith in Westmoreland. Penrith is the nearest town to the villages covered by East Ward. This borders Cumberland and both are now called Cumbria. There were two Christopher Waugh born in England around this time, The other one born in Howarth, Durham married a Mary. He was a coal miner in Durham and remained in Durham after 1865. This why the Auckland Durham marriage confuses.
- As Christopher and Esther married in Auckland Co. Durham it does seem he may also have worked as a miner. This would have been in the Durham coal fields. I cannot sort out an 1861 census to confirm this.
- BMD register Births Sep 1839 (>99%)
- Waugh Christopher E. Ward 25 405
- BMD Register Marriages Mar 1862 (>99%)
- Smith Esther Auckland 10a 141
- Waugh Christopher Auckland 10a 141
- Note Auckland, Co, Durham, England not NZ
- Births, Deaths & Marriages New Zealand Death cert 1934/1987 aged 74Y
- Parents census this Christopher had moved to another Waugh family in Westmoreland see the second 1851 Census,
- England and Wales Census, 1851
- Name Christopher Waugh
- Event Place , Cumberland, England
- Registration District Longtown
- Gender Male Age 45 Marital Status Married
- Occupation Ag Lab
- Relationship to Head of Household Head
- Birth Year (Estimated) 1806 Birthplace Scotland
- Page Number 14 Registration Number HO107
- Christopher Waugh Head M 45 Scotland
- Mary Waugh Wife F 54 Longtown, Cumberland
- Andrew Waugh Son M 12 Nicholforest, Cumberland
- Mary Waugh Daughter F 10 Nicholforest, Cumberland
- William Waugh Son M 5 Nicholforest, Cumberland
- Jane Waugh Daughter F 1 Stapleton, Cumberland
- David Goodfellow M 5 Stapleton, Cumberland
- Isabella Foster F 0 Stapleton, Cumberland
- Citing this Record "England and Wales Census, 1851," database with images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:SGK5-QT7 : 24 July 2016), Christopher Waugh, , Cumberland, England; citing , Cumberland, England, p. 14, from "1851 England, Scotland and Wales census," database and images, findmypast (http://www.findmypast.com : n.d.); citing PRO HO 107, The National Archives of the UK, Kew, Surrey.
- I am sure this is the first part of the family. This Christopher Waugh (Sr) dies on 1866. His son the Christopher Waugh of this profile is working as a servant in another Waugh family. See next census
- England and Wales Census, 1851
- Name Christopher Waugh
- Event Place Milbourne, Westmorland, England
- Registration District East Ward
- Gender Male Age 13 Occupation Farm Servant
- Relationship to Head of Household Servant
- Birth Year (Estimated) 1838
- Birthplace Wigton, Cumberland
- Page Number 5 Registration Number HO107 Piece/Folio 2439 / 13
- Thomas Waugh Head M 32 Temple Sowerby, Westmorland
- Mary Waugh Wife F 30 Winton, Westmorland
- Jonathan Waugh Son M 3 Milburn, Westmorland
- Henry Waugh Son M 1 Milburn, Westmorland
- Christopher Waugh Servant M 13 Wigton, Cumberland
- Citing this Record "England and Wales Census, 1851," database with images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:SGYR-SV2 : 24 July 2016), Christopher Waugh in household of Thomas Waugh, Milbourne, Westmorland, England; citing Milbourne, Westmorland, England, p. 5, from "1851 England, Scotland and Wales census," database and images, findmypast (http://www.findmypast.com : n.d.); citing PRO HO 107, The National Archives of the UK, Kew, Surrey.
- They Came By Sea" - The Centenary of "Bombay" 1865-1965
- The following names of passengers who came to New Zealand in the "Bombay" have been extracted from the above book. The ship sailed from London on November 26th 1864 and arrived on 18th March 1865, and was commanded by Captain Sellars.
- Transcribed in Auckland New Zealand by Ted WILDY on September 24, 1995.
- WAUGH Christopher 26
- WAUGH Esther 25
- WAUGH George 1
- OceaniaGenWeb 
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
No known carriers of Christopher's Y-chromosome or his mother's mitochondrial DNA have taken yDNA or mtDNA tests and no close relatives have taken a 23andMe, AncestryDNA, or Family Tree DNA "Family Finder" test.
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Family Tree DNA.
Images: 1 Collaboration
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Send a private message to the Profile Manager. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)
There are no public comments yet.
Christopher is 31 degrees from Kevin Bacon, 59 degrees from Domingo Ghirardelli, 31 degrees from Ronel Olivier, 43 degrees from Rosa Parks and 25 degrees from Queen Elizabeth II of the Commonwealth Realms on our single family tree. Login to find your connection.