- Mary Wentworth's Profile
- Family Tree & Genealogy Tools
Mary (sometimes Love) Wentworth, daughter of Thomas Wentworth and Grace Gascoigne, christened 25 Jun 1569 in Scrooby, Yorkshire, England, has been proposed as the wife of Mayflower passenger William Brewster, and as .
Notes & Caveats
But the maiden name of William Brewster's wife has not been proven. The claim it was Mary Wentworth rests solely on the fact that Mary Wentworth happened to live somewhat close to William Brewster in Scrooby, Nottingham. That is very shaky evidence to say the least.
Further, it has been proposed that William Brewster may have married Mary Wyrall, but the evidence is just as flimsy for that marriage. There are no fewer than seven marriages from 1590-1610 that have been located in parish registers showing a William Brewster marrying a Mary. All, however, have been satisfactorily eliminated as probable candidates for the William and Mary Brewster who came on the Mayflower. So at present, there is no evidence to document who William Brewster's wife Mary actually was." (excerpted from the Great Migration Begins.) Nor can I find a source that says that Mary Brewster died 17 Apr 1627 anywhere (that's died anywhere, not sourced anywhere, but that applies too. 
Since William Brewster's wife's maiden name in not known, we cannot assume that Mary Wentworth was his wife. Nor can we assume she died when his wife died, be it in 1620/1 or 1627. Also, none of her children will be surnamed Brewster. Aside from possibly the birth date and her parents names, nothing in this profile is based upon facts. 
This biography was auto-generated by a GEDCOM import. It's a rough draft and needs to be edited.
- Date: 24 JAN 1559/60
- Place: Scrooby, Notinghamshire, England
Imported only 24 JAN 1559 from Birth Date and marked as uncertain.
- UPD 15 JUL 2009 18:20:50 GMT -0500
Record ID Number
- Record ID Number: MH:I194
- User ID: A446E5A4-HJ0X-0O05-A446-A446E5A4MXXI
- ↑ Walter H. Burgess, John Robinson, the pastor of the pilgrims, London, 1920, p. 81 (footnote #2): "The maiden name of Mary has not been handed down. I suggest Mary Wentworth of Scrooby."
- ↑ http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=34836091
- ↑ Tom Bredehoft, Entered August, 2012
- ↑ Entered by Tom Bredehoft, Feb 5, 2013
Thank you to Ron Dexter for creating WikiTree profile Wentworth-683 through the import of yf2d22_012969c5d80c2c7r2d1q23.ged on Jul 6, 2013. Click to the Changes page for the details of edits by Ron and others.
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
- What about children assigned to the wrong parents? Sep 3, 2013.
- What do we do about fictional Biographies? Aug 22, 2013.
- Discussion of name of wife of Wm Brewster of Mayflower fame... Oct 10, 2012.
No known carriers of Mary's ancestors' mitochondrial DNA have taken an mtDNA test.
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Family Tree DNA.
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: Ron Gragg, Kathryn Greenwald, Heather Brown, and Bob Pierce. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)
On 30 May 2016 at 21:08 GMT Robin Lee wrote:
On 30 May 2016 at 20:49 GMT Robin Lee wrote:
On 5 May 2016 at 11:40 GMT Ron Gragg wrote:
- Name: Mary Wentworth
- Gender: Female
- Birth Year: 1569
- Spouse Name: William Brewster
- Spouse Birth Year: 1567
- Year: 1590
- Number Pages: 1<ref>Source number: 391.000; Source type: Electronic Database; Number of Pages: 1; Submitter Code: MEW</ref>
On 4 May 2016 at 14:40 GMT Jillaine Smith wrote:
On 28 Sep 2014 at 06:51 GMT RJ Horace wrote:
I take it the pictures are Mary Brewster as well.
Propose merge into Unknown-199693.
On 15 Sep 2014 at 14:16 GMT Jillaine Smith wrote:
On 23 Apr 2014 at 05:06 GMT Vic Watt wrote:
On 20 Mar 2014 at 05:47 GMT Ron Gragg wrote:
Mary is 18 degrees from Kevin Bacon, 29 degrees from Bob Dylan, 22 degrees from AJ Jacobs, 21 degrees from Michael Phelps and 16 degrees from Queen Elizabeth II of the Commonwealth Realms on our single family tree. Login to find your connection.