- Cynric (Wessex) of the West Saxons's Profile
- Family Tree & Genealogy Tools
Categories: House of Wessex.
||Cynric (Wessex) of the West Saxons is a member of royalty, nobility or aristocracy in Europe.|
Join: European Royals and Aristocrats Prior to 742 Project
|King of the West Saxons
534 - 560
EuroAristo Project Note
Roger is currently (20130726) identifying Cynric's father (or perhaps grandfather, or perhaps neither) Cerdic as the upper limit of Wessex management. Filiations which are probably legendary will be treated as real, with notes to that effect in the biographies of Cerdic's "descendants."
No mother or spouses are reliably attested for Cynric. Any linking of a mother or a spouse without the express agreement of the EuroAristo project in the G2G forum will be disconnected.
Cynric of Wessex ruled as king of Wessex from 534 to 560. Everything known about him comes from the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle... son of Cerdic, and also (in regnal list in preface) son of Cerdic's son, Creoda.
During reign he is said to have captured Searobyrig or Old Sarum, near Salisbury, in 552, and that in 556 he and his son Ceawlin won a battle against the Britons at Beranburh, now identified as Barbury Castle. If these dates are accurate, then it is unlikely that the earlier entries in the chronicle, starting with his arrival in Britain with his father Cerdic in 495, are correct. David Dumville has suggested that his true regnal dates are 554-581.
Cynic was born in 0525. Cynic Wessex ... He passed away after 0560. 
This profile is a collaborative work-in-progress. Can you contribute information or sources?
- ↑ First-hand information as remembered by Patton McHenry, Thursday, November 20, 2014. Replace this citation if there is another source.
- Add sources here.
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
No known carriers of Cynric's Y-chromosome or his mother's mitochondrial DNA have taken yDNA or mtDNA tests.
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Family Tree DNA.
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: Tayler Mccormick and Patton McHenry. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)
On 2 May 2015 at 17:05 GMT Paul Toplis wrote:
Cynric is 35 degrees from Kevin Bacon, 29 degrees from Abraham Lincoln, 36 degrees from Ayn Rand, 36 degrees from Peter Roberts and 31 degrees from Queen Elizabeth II of the Commonwealth Realms on our single family tree. Login to find your connection.