Leased his land for oil production as early as 1895. The May 31, 1895 edition of the Butler Citizen contains the following in the "Oil Notes" section:
"M. Fadden's well on the Whitmire was shot, and started off big, it will make from 25 to 50 bbls; rigs are up on the Thompson 10 acres. A Martain, Samuel & Dan'l Whitmire, and McFadden is building No. 2 on the Robert Whitmire."
It is unclear which Whitmire farm M Fadden's well was on. However, No. 2 is clearly being built on Robert's land.
1910: Oakland, Butler, Pennsylvania, United States
- Robert J Whitmire Head M 51 Pennsylvania
- Margaret W Whitmire Wife F 48 Pennsylvania
- Isabella M Whitmire Daughter F 21 Pennsylvania
- Grace E Whitmire Daughter F 19 Pennsylvania
- Olive C Whitmire Daughter F 17 Pennsylvania
- Lester P Whitmire Son M 15 Pennsylvania
- Mable M Whitmire Daughter F 13 Pennsylvania
- J Everet Whitmire Son M 8 Pennsylvania
- Leroy S Whitmire Son M 5 Pennsylvania
Death Cert (#107613) has cause of death "Struck by R.R. Train. Accidental"
He was killed in train/horse&buggy accident. He was taking his daughter's family - the Shoup's - home to Butler following a visit celebrating his 32 anniversary. His daughter, Isabelle Shoup, was nearly killed, but recovered.
He was struck at 5:55pm by the Bessemer and Lake Erie Railroad (B & LE) #11 going southbound near the Oneida Station on a sharp curve. According to Bessemer records, the #11 was a 4-4-0 style engine.
I need help looking up these references:
- Butler Citizen 23 Nov 1913 p1 Oneida Station; col 1 "Instantly.."
- Butler Citizen 24 Nov 1913 p1 “Resolutions”
- Butler Citizen 26 Nov 1913 “Resolutions”
- Butler Citizen 25Nov 1913 p3 col 1 "Death..."
- Butler Citizen 5 Dec 1913
Robert J. is buried at North Side Cemetery.
Find A Grave Memorial# 102975245
- "United States Census, 1870," index and images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-267-11816-100051-89?cc=1438024 : accessed 25 Jun 2014), Pennsylvania > Butler > Oakland > image 16 of 24; citing NARA microfilm publication M593.
- Butler citizen. (Butler, Pa.), 30 May 1895. Chronicling America: Historic American Newspapers. Lib. of Congress. <http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn/sn86071045/1895-05-30/ed-1/seq-3/>
- "United States Census, 1910," database with images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MGH2-2V7 : accessed 1 August 2015), Robert J Whitmire, Oakland, Butler, Pennsylvania, United States; citing enumeration district (ED) 99, sheet 10B, family 170, NARA microfilm publication T624 (Washington, D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration, n.d.); FHL microfilm 1,375,335.
- Probate Files (Butler County, Pennsylvania), Ca. 1803-1918; Author: Butler County (Pennsylvania). Register of Wills; Probate Place: Butler, Pennsylvania (Case 603)
- Butler citizen. (Butler, Pa.) 1877-1922, November 30, 1881, Image 3 Image provided by Penn State University Libraries; University Park, PA Persistent link: http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn/sn86071045/1881-11-30/ed-1/seq-3/
- Ancestry.com. Pennsylvania, Death Certificates, 1906-1963 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2014. Original data: Pennsylvania (State). Death certificates, 1906–1963. Series 11.90 (1,905 cartons). Records of the Pennsylvania Department of Health, Record Group 11. Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission, Harrisburg, Pennsylvania.
- The Bessemer and Lake Erie Railroad, 1869-1969 by Roy C. Beaver, Published by Golden West Books
- Bessemer & Lake Erie 4-4-0 "American" Locomotives Class E-5B/E-5C/E-5D (Locobase 9033). Retrieved 15 July 2015. Available at: http://www.steamlocomotive.com/locobase.php?country=USA&wheel=4-4-0&page=ble
- Train Hits Family in Rig. Pittsburgh Post-Gazette (Pittsburgh, PA). November 24, 1913, pg 9.
- Train Hits Buggy; One Dead, One Hurt. Pittsburgh Daily Post. (Pittsburgh, PA). November 24, 1913, pg 3.
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
No known carriers of Robert's Y-chromosome or his mother's mitochondrial DNA have taken yDNA or mtDNA tests and no close relatives have taken a 23andMe, AncestryDNA, or Family Tree DNA "Family Finder" test.
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Family Tree DNA.
Images: 4 Collaboration
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Send a private message to the Profile Manager. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)
There are no public comments yet.
Robert is 20 degrees from Kevin Bacon, 14 degrees from Stephen Hopkins, 23 degrees from Ben Kingsley, 22 degrees from David Selman and 19 degrees from Queen Elizabeth II of the Commonwealth Realms on our single family tree. Login to find your connection.