"During his active life, Mr. John WHITMIRE was known everywhere as an industrious and successful farmer, and he was interested in everything calculated to elevate society to a higher plane of existence. He filled all the offices of the township excepting that of Justice of the Peace." - History of Butler County Pennsylvania - 1883, Chapter 34
In 1828, he and his father were witnesses to the last will and testament of his neighbor John Thorn
John Whitmire is listed as one of the School Directors and a Whitmire School existed in the 1850s.
"In 1854, when the township took its present form, public schoolhouses were built throughout the township in sufficient number, viz.: The GOFF School, the MILLINGER School, the WHITMIRE School, the DUFFY School, now called McGINLEY School. "
1840: Butler, PA
- 1 male - under 5 (John Jr)
- 2 male - 5-10 (Peter and Jacob)
- 1 male 10-15 (Francis)
- 1 male 30-40 (John Sr)
- 2 female 5-10
- 1 female 20-30 (Catherine)
1850: Centre, Butler, Pennsylvania, United States
- John Whitmire M 50 Pennsylvania
- Catharine Whitmire F 49 Pennsylvania
- Peter Whitmire M 19 Pennsylvania
- Jacob Whitmire M 17 Pennsylvania
- John Whitmire M 15 Pennsylvania
- Eliza C Whitmire F 11 Pennsylvania
- Mary A Whitmire F 9 Pennsylvania
- Susannah Whitmire F 7 Pennsylvania
- Francis Whitmire M 22 Pennsylvania
1860: Oakland Tp, Butler, Pennsylvania, United States
- John Whitmire M 55 Pennsylvania
- Catharine Whitmire F 57 Pennsylvania
- Margret Whitmire F 20 Pennsylvania
- Susan Whitmire F 18 Pennsylvania
1870: Pennsylvania, United States
- John Whitmire M 65 Pennsylvania
- Catharine Whitmire F 69 Pennsylvania
- Mary A Whitmire F 29 Pennsylvania
- John Mays M 17 Pennsylvania
RESEARCH QUESTION: Who is the John Mays living in his household in 1870? Cannot have been a nephew, a child of his sister Polly, for she died in 1846 and this Jon Mays was born in approximately 1853.
1880: Oakland, Butler, Pennsylvania, United States
- John Whitmire Self M 76 Pennsylvania, United States
- Catharina Whitmire Wife F 79 Pennsylvania, United States
According to the 1883 history, John was living with his son Peter. It is not know if that moved occurred after Catherine's death in 1882, or before.
His obit, published in the 06 Nov. 1891 edition of the Butler Citizen, reads: "At his home in Oakland twp., Oct 31, 1891, John Whitmire, ages 86 years and 6 month.
Mr. Whitmire had been in poor health for some months and his death was not unexpected. His funeral took place Monday and was the largest ever seen in that vicinity.
He was one of the early pioneers of the county, and was an honest man, respected by all who knew him."
He was "a stanch Democrat" - History of Butler Co, 1895.
He and his wife Catherine are buried in Whitmire Cemetery
Find A Grave Memorial# 131997135
- "United States Census, 1840," index and images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XHB7-8M3 : accessed 27 Jul 2014), John Whitmire, Centre, Butler, Pennsylvania; citing "1840 United States Federal Census," Ancestry.com; p. 116, NARA microfilm publication M704, roll 448, National Archives and Records Administration, Washington D.C.; FHL microfilm 0020540.
- "United States Census, 1850," index and images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/M44T-2MK : accessed 02 Jul 2014), John Whitmore in household of John Whitmore, Centre, Butler, Pennsylvania, United States; citing family 238, NARA microfilm publication M432.
- "United States Census, 1860," index, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/MXPH-472 : accessed 27 Jul 2014), John Whitmire, Oakland Tp, Butler, Pennsylvania, United States; citing "1860 U.S. Federal Census - Population," Fold3.com; p. 5, household ID 33, NARA microfilm publication M653; FHL microfilm 805087.
- "United States Census, 1870," index and images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/MZLB-RG2 : accessed 27 Jul 2014), John Whitmire, Pennsylvania, United States; citing p. 15, family 101, NARA microfilm publication M593, FHL microfilm 000552815.
- "United States Census, 1880," index and images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/MWXD-18B : accessed 27 Jul 2014), John Whitmire, Oakland, Butler, Pennsylvania, United States; citing sheet 380A, NARA microfilm publication T9.
- Butler citizen. (Butler, Pa.), 06 Nov. 1891. Chronicling America: Historic American Newspapers. Lib. of Congress. <http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn/sn86071045/1891-11-06/ed-1/seq-2/>
- "Pennsylvania, Probate Records, 1683-1994," images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1961-28949-19297-56?cc=1999196&wc=MDSG-NWL:268497001,282892101 : accessed 09 Apr 2014), Butler > Probate files 1888-1899 no W277-W400 > no W317 (images 805 - 852) of 2920.
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
It may be possible to confirm family relationships with John by comparing test results with other carriers of his Y-chromosome or his mother's mitochondrial DNA. However, there are no known yDNA or mtDNA test-takers in his direct paternal or maternal line. It is likely that these autosomal DNA test-takers will share DNA with John:
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Family Tree DNA.
Images: 2 Collaboration
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Send a private message to the Profile Manager. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)
There are no public comments yet.
John is 22 degrees from Kevin Bacon, 35 degrees from Charlotte Brontë, 22 degrees from Bob Keniston, 21 degrees from Ben Kingsley and 17 degrees from Queen Elizabeth II Windsor on our single family tree. Login to find your connection.