Maurice was born in South Fitchburg, Massachusetts, and lived in Fitchburg for all or most of his life, or possible in the Whalom area of Lunenburg. He died when he was just 41. (What is the source for his death date? I can't remember. See note below about a 1944 Navy muster, when he would have been about 46 years old. Whitten-1 14:06, 28 March 2016 (EDT))
The 1900 census has the one-year-old Maurice J.
The 1920 census lists him as living with his parents at age 21 and working as an electrician at an electric company.
Maurice's World War 1 draft registration card still has him living at home with his parents at 183 Charles Street in Fitchburg.
A September 25, 1922, announcement in the Fitchburg Sentinel says that Maurice James Whitten, son of Edward D., was engaged to Mildred Abbie Whitney of Rollstone Street. It doesn't appear that they were married. A November 11, 1924, announcement in the Sentinel says that Maurice married Roseanna.
The 1930 census (taken April 3) lists the 31-year-old Morris J. Whitten as renting for $25/month at 86 Nashua Street with his wife and two daughters (Lillian M. and Barbara L.) and his parents. He was working as an electrician at New England Power. He was not a veteran, so that rules out his serving in World War I.
An image from the U.S. World War II Navy Muster Rolls, 1938-1949 shows a Maurice James Whitten mustered on July 31, 1944.
Maurice donated the ship carved by his father Edward D. Whitten to the Fitchburg Historical Society: http://www.museumresearcher.com/fitchburg/exhibit1/e11534b.htm
Note that Maurice had an uncle named Maurice Whitten who was also known as "Morris". It's curious that his uncle also died at about age 40 and may also have lived in Lunenburg. There may be mixed information here.
- ↑ Both found at WorldVitalRecords.com June 2012 by Whitten-1.
- Sources for this page include the Whitten family bible. The comments about his daughter(s) are very difficult to understand.
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
It may be possible to confirm family relationships with Maurice by comparing test results with other carriers of his Y-chromosome or his mother's mitochondrial DNA. Y-chromosome DNA test-takers in his direct paternal line on WikiTree:
- Chris Whitten : Family Tree DNA Y-DNA Test 67 markers, haplogroup R-M269, Ysearch D3D3Z, FTDNA kit #124309
- Chris Whitten : 23andMe + AncestryDNA, GEDMatch A820770, Ancestry member ciwhitten + Family Tree DNA Family Finder, FTDNA kit #330041
- Ted (Whitten) Whittenkraus : 23andMe
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Family Tree DNA.
Images: 3 Collaboration
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Send a private message to the Profile Manager. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)
There are no public comments yet.
Maurice is 20 degrees from Kevin Bacon, 14 degrees from Stephen Hopkins, 25 degrees from Ben Kingsley, 20 degrees from David Selman and 22 degrees from Queen Elizabeth II of the Commonwealth Realms on our single family tree. Login to find your connection.