WikiTree profile Wigmore-16 created through the import of My Family_2011-08-21.ged on Aug 21, 2011 by Kate G. See the Changes page for the details of edits by Kate and others.
Source: S00060 Author: Lancelot Andrews D.D. Title: Memoirs Of The Life And Works Of The Right Honorable And Right Rev. Father In God Publication: Name: 1860 Gilbert Wigmore, D.D. by royal mandate in 1661, was Rector of Little Shelford early in the following century,; NOTELancelot Andrews D.D., Memoirs Of The Life And Works Of The Right Honorable And Right Rev. Father In God (1860 CONT Gilbert CONT Wigmore, D.D. by royal mandate in 1661, was Rector of CONT Little Shelford early in the following century,), _ITALIC: Y CONT _PAREN: Y CONT .
Note N00110It is not certain that Daniel Wigmore was the father of my ancestor Gilbert. However, they are related in some way, so if not father and son, perhaps uncle and nephew. In any case, hopefully further research will make their relationship clear. It is true to say that both were connected with the Cambridgeshire village of Little Shelford, both professionally as rectors of the church, and personally, both men (and their families) lived in the village for a number of years. The following is an extract from Gardener's Directory of Cambridgeshire, in which both Daniel and Gilbert are mentioned along with numerous other local residents and tradesmen.
Update: I've come across a copy of the 1666 Visitation of Lincolnshire, which includes the Wigmores of Stamford. According to his CCED entry, Daniel is the brother of Richard Wigmore of Stamford; according to the Visitation, Daniel is obijt s.p. - died without issue. Therefore he is Gilbert's uncle, not his father. The identity of Gilbert's father is still a mystery, but the available evidence strongly suggests both Daniel and Gilbert are part of this family.
SHELFORD LITTLE PARISH.
This parish, which adjoins that of Great Shelford, contains 1200 acres: its
population in 1801, was 220; in 1831, 483 ; and in 1841, 527 souls. The
amount of assessed property is £1,914. The soil is various, and the
principal proprietors are James E. Law, Esq., and Charles Brent Wale, Esq.
Manor.-The manor was for more than three centuries in the family of
Freville, of which it was purchased soon after the year 1600 by Alderman J.
Banks, who sold the manor-house to Sir Toby Palavicini ; and his son re-sold
it to Daniel Wigmore, archdeacon of Ely. On the site of the manor Sir Toby
Palavicini built a house in the Italian style, which he sold to John Gill,
Esq. It was afterwards united to the manor, and the estate sold in 1707 to
the Rev. Roger Gillingham, of whose family it was purchased in 1745 by Wm.
Finch, Esq. Mr. Finch pulled down the house which had been erected by Sir
Toby Palavicini and built the present mansion on its site, and filled up the
greater part of the moat. It is now the property and seat of James Edmund
Law, Esq. There was formerly a Hermitage at the bridge between Great and
Little Shelford, of which John Lucas was hermit in 1398.
The Village of Little Shelford, which is neat, adjoins that of Great
Shelford, and is about 41/2 miles south from Cambridge, and half a mile from
the railway station in the adjoining parish.
The Church dedicated to All Saints, was built in the latter part of the 13th
century, partly in the perpendicular and partly in the decorated style. It
consists of a nave, side aisles, chancel, side chapels, (one of which was
dedicated to Corpus Christi, and the other probably the Ladye Chapel,' but
now the property of the lord of the manor,) and a massive embattled tower,
containing five bells. The windows were formerly filled with painted glass,
and a portion of the ancient rood-screen still remains. In the chancel is
some carved stall-work, and under an ogee arch, richly ornamented with
crockets, is the monument of Sir John de Freville, a crusader, and the
founder of the church, who died in the year 1312. This monument consists of
an altar tomb, with the effigies of a cross-legged knight carved in stone,
with a lion at his feet.There are also in the church several monumental
brasses, and other memorials of the Freville, Wale, and Ingle families.The
living is a rectory !
in the deanery of Barton, rated in the K. B. at £15. 9s. 7d., but now worth
£370. nett per annum. The patronage is vested in the lord of the manor, and
the Rev. Wm. Law, M.A., is rector. Here are the remains of three ancient
crosses, one of which is in the centre of the churchyard, another in a
corner of it, and the third, which formerly stood in the road, is now in the
garden belonging to the late Sir Charles Wale's house. Land was allotted at
the inclosure of the parish in lieu of tithes.
Butter Mr, Samuel
Collier John, Esq.
Francis Mrs. Ann
Foster Michael, Esq.
Law James Edmund, Esq.
Lister Mr. Jas. Manor-house
Spurrell Rev. Wm., curate
Twist James, Esq.
Wale Charles Brent, Esq.
Dawson Geo. (& grocer)
Wragg William George
Andrews James, carrier
Austin Joseph, bricklayer
Austin Thomas. builder
Butler Charles nursery and seedsman
Butler Jacob, shopkeeper
Cooper. Jas. gardener, &c.
Dare Emma, schoolmistress
Elborn William, bricklayer
Howard Alice, vict., Three Horse.shees
Jennings Geo., vict., Horse and Groom.
Jennings Jph., vict., Prince Regent
Litchfield Francis, carrier
Northfield J., schoolmaster
Northfield Robt., vict., King William
Robinson Rd., shopkeeper
Trigg Wm., corn merchant
Webb Wm. tin-plate worker
White Thomas, baker
Berry, The Misses
Burgess Rev. W.,(independant, & boarding school)
Headly William, Esq.
Hurrell Henry, Esq.
Miller Mr. John
Ramsey Allen, surgeon
Symonds Rev. W., (baptist)
Twiss Geo. Joseph, solicitor
Grain Peter, sen.
Grain Peter, jun.
Maris Richard Watson, (& corn merchant)
Blinkhorn Geo., baker and grocer
Cambridge A., vict., Black Swan
Campion Mary, mistress of British school
Chambers W., letter receiver
Cole John, carpenter
Covilie J., baker & beer ret,
Fuller A., vict., Railway Inn
Gee John, butcher
Hammond Mark, beer retlr
Hagger Stephen, shoemaker
Hagger Eben., harness mkr
How John, shoemaker
Hurry Thomas, shoemaker
Hopkins W., nat. schlmstr
Hopkins Susan, schoolmrs.
Living J. & Son, millers
Maris A., vict., Red Lion
Moore Wm., vict., Hound (& farmer)
Moore John, carpenter
Nibloe J. T.. railway-station master
Robinson Dd., carpenter
Stallon Wm., shoemaker
Turner George, shopkeeper
Ward Wm., wheelwright
Waters Jas., blacksmith
Webb John, blacksmith
Wiles R., plumber & glazier
Willers Thos., cattle dealer
Willers T., jun„ cattle dealer
Willers Wm., cattle dealer
Woodroffe W., beer retailer
Wright John L., vict., Compasses (and blacksmith)
Extract from 1845 edition of
Gardner's Directory of Cambridgeshire
More Information: Adm. sizar at QUEENS', May 9, 1592. Of Cambridgeshire. Matric. 1592; B.A. 1595-6; M.A. 1599; B.D. 1609. R. of Wentworth, Cambs., 1611. Preb. of Ely, 1614-46. R. of Northwold, Norfolk, 1616-22. Archdeacon of Ely, 1617-44. R. of Snailwell, Cambs., 1622-37. V. of Trinity Church, Ely. Buried at Little Shelford, Cambs., Nov. 9, 1646. Probably brother of Richard (1603). (Vis. of Lincs., 1666.)