Prior to import, this record was last changed 1 MAR 2011.
Note: The article by Francis (David) McTeer and Frederick C. Waters, "Willis Family of Sudbury, Massachusetts," New England Historic Genealogical Register, Vol. 114, page 22, Jan 1960 (hereafter "McTeer"), provides an excellent biography of the Willis family.
After the death of his father, Samuel Willis had an obligation to his mother and minor siblings. He moved back to Sudbury from Roxbury in 1703 and took over the management of his father's homestead and property (McTeer).
On 13 October 1703 he bought the eastern half of the New Grant Lot No. 17, which adjoined the original Willis farm on Lot 16 (Middlesex County Deeds 13:467, LDS Microfilm 0,554,004).
On 15 January 1706/7, Samuel Willis signed a petition requesting that a new precinct be created on the west side of Sudbury River. After some delay and protests from people on the east side, a new west side parish was established. On 18 March 1724/5, Samuel Willis is among the signers of the original Covenant of the West Church. Samuel and his two sons, Joseph and Elijah, signed a petition on 24 May 1753 to set aside the town election which had been held ten days earlier (Alfred Sereno Hudson, "The History of Sudbury Massachusetts, 1638-1889", published by the town, 1889).
Samuel Willis, yeoman of Sudbury, sold his 100 acre farm to his youngest son, Elijah Willis, yeoman of Sudbury, for 55 pounds on 28 May 1750. The land included upland, swamp and meadow land with buildings or orcharding and fences thereon, and was bounded north and east by the new highway leading from Stow to Sudbury, on the south by Willis Pond, and on the west by "land commonly called the thirty rod highway." (Middlesex County Deeds 52:282, recorded 20 January 1754, LDS Microfilm 0,554,030).
There was no probate record for Samuel Willis. He probably provided for his children during his lifetime. Based on the property held by his sons, it can be inferred that he gave the east half of Lot 17 and a portion of the southeast corner of the homestead to his son Joseph. The eldest son, Samuel, owned two farms in Sudbury, but neither adjoined or had been part of his father's homestead (McTeer).