John Wood was an early American colonial farmer who was born in Cecil County Maryland. He married in 1737 at Saint Stephen's Parish, Cecil County Maryland to Francis Flintham, the daughter of John Flintham. The family migrated to North Carolina with the purchase of a large tract of land in Orange County (now Alamance County) near the Quaker community of Cane Creek Monthly Meeting in 1756. His daughter Jane Wood was born in 1755 and joined the Quaker community with her husband Daniel Freeman Sr. John Wood is mentioned in Cane Creek MM records as the father of Jane Wood Freeman. It is unclear whether John Wood was a member of the Quaker church. However, John Wood appears on many early land transactions in Orange County North Carolina.
Ancestry.com. Maryland, Marriages, 1634-1777 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2012. Original data: Barnes, Robert, compiler. Maryland Marriages, 1634–1777. Baltimore, MD: Genealogical Publishing Co. Inc., 1975. Source Description Robert Barnes turns Maryland into “marry-land” with this foray into the state’s early matrimonial records.
"Maryland Marriages, 1666-1970," database, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:F4V7-SPP : 12 December 2014), John Wood and Francis Flintom, 20 Dec 1737; citing Saint Stephens Parish,Cecil,Maryland, reference ; FHL microfilm 13,887.
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
It may be possible to confirm family relationships with John by comparing test results with other carriers of his Y-chromosome or his mother's mitochondrial DNA. However, there are no known yDNA or mtDNA test-takers in his direct paternal or maternal line. It is likely that these autosomal DNA test-takers will share DNA with John:
- Beth Stephenson : AncestryDNA, GEDMatch A551014, Ancestry member ebeth32129
- Larry Stephenson : AncestryDNA, GEDMatch A957320, Ancestry member ebeth32129
- Virginia Kathleen Stephenson : AncestryDNA, GEDMatch A609811, Ancestry member ebeth32129
- Wayne Farmer : AncestryDNA, GEDMatch A009446, Ancestry member wdfarmer2
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Family Tree DNA.
Images: 5 Collaboration
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Send a private message to the Profile Manager. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)
There are no public comments yet.
John is 18 degrees from Kevin Bacon, 14 degrees from Abraham Lincoln, 23 degrees from Ayn Rand, 20 degrees from Peter Roberts and 16 degrees from Queen Elizabeth II of the Commonwealth Realms on our single family tree. Login to find your connection.