James was born in 1782. James Wooten ... He passed away in 1869 or 1867.
WARFA Quarterly Vol. I, No. 2; June 1981:
James G. Wootten of Arkansas
Problem: Identifying lineage of James G. Wootten, b. VA about 1782; possibly Halifax Co.; Believed to have died in Sebastian Co., AK..1867.
1. First record of James is his marriage. He married Sarah Willard in Clay Co., KY on 11-10-1807
2. He was in the 1810 census -Breckenridge Co., KY
3. Served in Indiana Militia in War of 1812
4. 1830 - found in Jackson Co., Missouri
5. 1840 - found in Franklin Co, AK..later in Sebastian Co.
6. 1846 - his AK taxes were deliquent...not on AK tax list for next three years; not in AK census for 1850.
7. 1850 census - James G. Wooten - is not the same man.
8. 1851 - in Sebastian Co., AK...applied for bounty land and was turned did not receive the land....was turned down...age was given as 78, birthplace as VA.
9. 1864 - took oath of allegiance to US...age listed as 82, birthplace VA...records state he was disabled by typhoid fever.
10. One researcher has found the probable father of Sarah Willard is Henry Willard.
11. Who is James' father? May have been either John or Nathaniel Wootten?
Challenge: Where was he really born?
WOOTTEN Want information re John Hatfield, b. c1810, Tenn, m. 1st 1829, Cooper Co., MO to Cynthia Wootten, b. 1812, Ky., dau. of James G. Wootten, b. 1782, Va.; m. 2nd c1848 to May N. (a widow), b. 1823, Ala.; m. 3rd Mary A., b. 1825, Ark. Two of the six grandchildren reared by James G. Wootten and wife Sarah, are believed to have been sons of John and Cynthia Hatfield.
James G. Wootten and son-in-law, A. J. Nixon (b. 1814, Tenn. m. Lucinda Wootten, b. 1815, Ky.) came to Franklin Co., Ark, c1837. later moved to Sebastian Co. where the Nixons reared a large family. John Hatfield and 2nd wife May, came to Crawford Co, later, James G. Wootten was listed in Goodspeed as Postmaster at Brunner, Ark, from 1861 to 1869, when he apparently died, Brunner was Some where near Greenwood. Lorena Woottten Bush 118 Harrell Hot Springs, Ark. 71901
No more info is currently available for James Wooten. Can you add to his biography?
Have you taken a DNA test? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Ancestry DNA.
James is 22 degrees from Stan Laurel, 17 degrees from Oliver Hardy, 20 degrees from Harpo Marx, 35 degrees from Graham Kennedy, 37 degrees from Louis de Funès, 32 degrees from Benny Hill, 19 degrees from Lucille Ball, 17 degrees from Gale Henry, 20 degrees from Charlie Chaplin, 14 degrees from Buster Keaton, 24 degrees from Joan Davis and 28 degrees from Carolina Millin on our single family tree. Login to find your connection.