Wright Joseph Wright a Farm Labourer from Dromore, Parents were James Wright and Margaret Both were dead at the time of the voyage. joseph could read and write and paid 1 Pound for his voyage.
Margaret his wife was born in ? Her parents were James Simpson and Mary they were both dead at time of voyage. She could read and write and had 2 brothers John and William Simpson in the colony. The former residing in Goulburne and the later in Parramatta road.
Carwoola, Southern Tablelands Region, New South Wales, Australia
Location: On the Queanbeyan to Captain’s Flat Road. 24.2 klms from the Queanbeyan Court House.
Saint Thomas Anglican Church was built between 1872 and 1874. The cemetery dates from 1840 when Owen Bowen a pioneer of the area died. From death certificates located the cemetery also has burials of other religious denominations. Catholic section and Presbyterian section. Only a few headstones are located in these sections.
Records have been located from various sources, such as newspapers, Register of Births Deaths and Marriage indexes, Death Certificates, Family History etc.
Names on Headstones/plaques: 163
Unmarked graves: 242
Wright, Susannah Ann, b. Turalla, d. 29 Jan 1862 Molonglo, age: 18 Mths, par. Joseph Wright & Margaret Anne Simpson, Unmarked
The town of Dromore
Dromore grew up around the site of a 6th century monastery founded by St. Colman. The Vikings plundered the town in 9th & 10th centuries and in 1177 the Norman invaders built the fort. Cathedral status was granted in 1240. In 1557there were no buildings in Dromore only some old thatched houses, a ruined church and the remains of Dromore Castle. Four side walls remain today of the square building which was probably the ancient residence of the bishops. TheMarket House was built in 1732. By 1821 there were 363 inhabited houses and 1,860 inhabitants. It is situated on the River Lagan which separates it into two equal portions.
At the eastern end of Dromore there is a high Danish rath or fort of great extent, one of the largest in the north of Ireland. (Email me for a photo). The Bishop's court, the manor court and the court of petty sessions are held inthe town. R. Dickson Esq. was seneschal & T. Douglass & C. Herron Esqs were the magistrates in 1836. There was a dispensary under the care of Dr. Scott which was supported by the local churches. The court house, with a market house underneath was situated in Market Square. It was very plain and dirty looking in 1836. Munro's Hotel was in Market Square. It was a large comfortable house but was of little use as the town rarely got any visitors.
Church St, Dromore taken 2007.
The Ordnance Survey Memoirs of 1836 go on to describe Dromore as having narrow, dirty streets and the outskirts hilly. There were 459 houses in the town, of these, 215 were thatched and the remainder slate roofed. The 264 one-storey houses situated on the outskirts were "wretched looking hovels". The houses situated in Market Square and in the street leading from it to the church were mostly neat and commodious. They were generally built of stone or stone and brick. The town was neither lighted or paved then. A board of commissioners was established in 1837 and they were determined to clean up the town. They started with cleansing first. This was to be paid for by taxing the inhabitants of the town.
There were not libraries or reading rooms. There was formerly a book club but the members dying away, the books were sold. There were no banks. There was an attempt back in 1824 to establish a savings bank but it did not succeed. The Markets were held every Saturday when meat & potatoes were sold. Fairs were held on the 12th May & 10th October, also on the first Saturday in March and August and on the Saturday next before Christmas. They were attended morefor business than diversion. Horses, cattle, pigs and sheep are sold at these fairs. In 1846 the population of the parish was 14,954 with 2110 people living in town. In 1886 there were four hem stitching factories with two devoted to the weaving of linen cambric handerchiefs . At least 300 people worked from home making handloom linens . The population in 1910 was 2800 people.
↑ NSW Australian Assisted Immigration Passenger List 1828 - 1896
↑ NSW Death Certificate: 5689/1865 WRIGHT JOSEPH JAMES MARGARET QUEANBEYAN