There are many notes here with the ultimate goal of linking William to the descendants of John Yates (Yates-11) for whom I am currently the profile manager. This process was initiated by my brother, so I am not sure where the trail actually started, but at this point there is no proven link between these individuals. At the time of writing this note, I have not put effort into this connection. So more information may now be readily available than is referred to in these notes.
http://john.rootsweb.ancestry.com/Yates/eb-2.html THE BYRNE NOTES These notes were compiled by Ellen Byrne
and were transmitted to the Yates Family Home Page on March 7, 1998. The numbers of the paragraphs were not in the original but were added to help in referencing. Use EDIT/FIND or CTRL+F to locate the name you want.
18:32, 1 December 2014 (EST)18:32, 1 December 2014 (EST)18:32, 1 December 2014 (EST)18:32, 1 December 2014 (EST)18:32, 1 December 2014 (EST)18:32, 1 December 2014 (EST)18:32, 1 December 2014 (EST)18:32, 1 December 2014 (EST)18:32, 1 December 2014 (EST)18:32, 1 December 2014 (EST)18:32, 1 December 2014 (EST)18:32, 1 December 2014 (EST)18:32, 1 December 2014 (EST)18:32, 1 December 2014 (EST)Watts-3128
1) These are misc notes collected over many years on the Yates name. My husband, Dan Byrne's great grandmother was Rebecca Yates, born 1811, Lee Co. VA. She married first Elijah Shepherd in Jackson Co. Mo. After his death she married Joshua McDaniel Sr. After his death she went to CA with her two McDaniel sons, Joshua and Charles. Joshua was the grandfather of Dan. Joshua married Mary Jane Fore. First they went to Lake Co. Ca. She had Yates brothers who had settled there. Some of her Shepherd children also went to CA. They bought land in Lake Co. the record will be included in this booklet.
2) Charles McDaniel died in Lake Co. at the age of 19 of Tuberculosis. Believe he is buried in the cemetery at Middletown. Rebecca, Joshua & Mary McDaniel, some of her Shepherd children went to Santa Clara Co. Ca. She died 1885 and is buried at Oak Hill Cemetery in San Jose, Ca. The record only says that she died in San Felipe. This may have been at the Dunne Rancho which was on the border of San Benito and Santa Clara Cos. It is still there just outside Hollister, Ca. Some of her sons worked there.
3) I am printing these notes for future generations. I always put copies in the following libraries: Sutro Library, San Francisco, LDS Library, in Salt Lake City, Daughters of the American Revolution Library in Washington, D.C. Plus copies for my children, grand children and some nieces and nephews.
4) In a book on the origin of names it is said Yate originally meant gate keeper. There are nine yates and yate coats of arms listed by Berry. They are pretty well scattered over England.
5) The heirs of William Yates, father of Rebecca from Platte Co Mo. Deed book P, 103: Levi Yates, Solomon Yates, Joshua Yates, Abel Yates, Josha McDaniel, Rebecca McDaniel, Nancy Blanton (she was a widow by this time) Washington Yates, Elihu Yates (this is the one who was father of Lewis Cass Yates. Elihu died young after a trip to the CA gold fields). Ira Yates, died in Lake Co Ca., Hiskiel Yates, served in Civil War, died shortly after in Kansas, Andrew Jackson Yates, died in CA. or Or.
6) Wills and Administrations, pg 33, Andrew Co Mo. Yates, Elihu, died intestate. Admr: Enoch Sheperd, 9 June 1852. John Porter and Susan Yates (Bond A-256)
7) Yeates (Yates) Joshua, died intestate, admr: Mary Yates, 13 Feb 1850. sec: Samuel Allen and James J. Dougherty. Bond A-191.
8) Yates, William, died intestate. Admrs: Joshua Yates and Ira Yates, 17 Feb 1846. Sec: Solomon Yates, Elihu Yates, Levi Yates, Eliash H. David, Elias Hughes and Hiskel Yates. William Yates left 11 children: Levi, Abel and Washington Yates of Gentry Co Mo., Solomon, Joshua, Elihu, Ira, Hiskiel and Andrew Yates, Rebecca Yates Shepherd McDaniel, Nancy Blanton who reside in Andrew Co. Bond A-108, admr: William Miller, 25 Jan 1851, sec: Isaac Ferris and Solomon Yeats. Bond A-2151.
9) Family Group sheet of William Yates, grgrgrfather of Daniel Thomas Byrne: William Yates b ca 1776, probably Wilkes Co NC died 1845 Andrew Co. Mo. Lived Wilkes, Ashe Cos. NC, Lee Co Va, Jackson, Andrew & Platte Cos. Mo. His father could have been William Yates. His wife was listed on a land record in Jackson Co. Mo. as Seeley. We have never found their marriage record or learned her maiden name. Her first name may have been Celia as several of her descendants were named Celia. Children of William & Celia:
1-Levi Yates b 1800 NC m ca 1823 Elizabeth 2-Solomon Yates b 1802 Lee Co Va m 1st-Rachael Wells, ca 1823 2nd-her sister Mary Wells , m 9 Sept 1834. Solomon d 1859, Gentry Co Mo. 3-Joshua Yates b 1804 Lee Co. Va. m Mary Milps, d 1846 Andrew Co Mo. 4-Rebecca Yates b 1811 Lee Co Va m 1st-1829 Elijah Shepherd, 2nd- 10 Nov 1847 Andrew Co Mo. Joshua McDaniel Sr. They lived Cooper Co. Mo. where Joshua Sr died 1851, Rebecca d 1885 San Felipe, Santa Clara Co. Ca. buried Oak Hill Cemetery, San Jose, Ca. Rebecca was grgrandmother of Daniel Thomas Byrne. 5-Abel Yates b 1815 Lee Co Va m 11 Apr 1830 Phebe Blanton, Jackson Co Mo.m 2nd-17 Nov 1843 China Myers (believe it was Mrs, a widow). 6-Nancy Yates b 1815 Lee Co Va m 3 Apr 1831, Ezekiel Blanton 7-George Washington Yates b 1816 Lee Co Va. m 18 Jan 1836, Ray Co Mo.possibly to Rachael Clarke, this is a question as there were two George Washington Yates in Mo about the same age, same time. 8-Elijah/Elihu Yates b 1819 Lee Co Va m Susan Porter d 1851, Mo 9-Ira Goff Yates b 15 Mar 1821, Lee Co Va m 25 May 1842, Johanna Shepherd d 3 Nov 1899, Lake Co CA. 10-Hiskiel Yates b 1824, Lee Co Va m 11 Feb 1846 Elizabeth Pettijohn d 12 Nov 1862, Ft Scott, KS. 11-Andrew Jackson Yates b 1824 Jackson Co Mo. m 10 Dec 1846 Mary A. Pettijohn Andrew to CA via OR not certain where he died. Last trace was the 1880 census of Santa Clara Co. 10) 1790, William Yates, Wilkes Co NC, Morgan dist, males: 1 ov 16, 2 und 16, 5 females 1800 William Yates, Wilkes Co NC, males: 1 und 10, 1-16/26, 1 45 & up females: 1 und 10, 3-16/26, (this doesnt look right) 1 45 and up 1810 William Yates, Ashe Co NC, males: 3 und 10, 1-10/16, 1-26/45, 1-45 & up, females: 1 und 10, 1-16/26 1820, William Yates, Lee Co Va, males: 3 und 10, 2-10/16, 1-16/18, 1-16/26, 1-26/45 females: 3 und 10, 1-26.45 1830, Jackson Co Mo: William Yates, males: 1 und 5, 2 und 10, 2-10/15, 1-50/60, females: 2-15/20, 1-50/60 1840 William Yates, Platte Co Mo, males: 1-10/15, 2-15/20, 1-20/30, 1-60/70, female: 1-20/30 William's wife must have died between 1830 and 1840
11) Andrew Co Mo: Yates, William died intestate, admr: Joshua Yates, Ira Yates, 17 Feb 1846. Sec: Solomon Yates, Elihu Yates, Levi Yates, Elias H. David (Davis), Elias Hughes and Hiskel Yates.
12) NC 1784-1787, William Yates, Capt Judd's dist, 1787, 1-male 21/60, 5 females, In same district, James Shepard, Jr., John Shephard, James Shepard Sr, Robert Shepard, Henry Miller.
13) From The Land of Wilkes by Johnson J. Hayes, published 1962: Joshua Yates was suspected of being loyal to Great Britain during the Revolution. In Sept 1779, the co ct of Wilkes, ordered the confiscation of all property belonging to several men thought to be Loyalists and the property of Joshua Yates (Yeates) was among them. also Benajah Pennington Jr. A man named Zachariah Wells was also a Loyalist and was a membeer of a group that made several raids of Ashe & Wilkes Co NC. He owned land close to Joshua Yates. Wells had the misfortune to be a member of a party that kidnapped Col Benj Cleveland, a leader of Rev forces in Wilkes Co. Cleveland escaped and several members of the Loyalist raiding party were later captured and hanged. inc Wells.
14) 1840 census of Buchanan Co Mo: William Yates males: 1 und 5, 1 bet 20/30, 1-bet 40/50, females: 1-15/20, 1-30/40 Washington Yates: males 1 und 5, 1-20/30, females 1-15/20 Pleasant Yates: males: 1 und 5, 2-30/40, females 3 und 5, 1-5/10, 1-20/30
15) Letter 1964 from Mary Aker, Secty for Platte Co Mo. Hist Soc: I found Wm. Yates as one of the Charter members of the Unity Baptist Church, organized 1840, later called Flintlock Church, about 5 mi NW of Platte City. Wm. Yates did not appear later in the records.
16) From Mo. Hist Soc, St Louis Mo: The record of Platte Co Cemeteries show Susan Stokes Yates d 19 Aug 1848, age 73 yrs, buried in Green Cemetery. Mo. Adjutant General's Office: Yates, Joshua, pvt under Capt D. Rea, enr. 30 Apr 1864, Savannah into active service, 2 July 1864 at St. Joseph Mo relieved from duty 31 July 1864. Yates, Levi J.-no other info\Yates, Wm. pvt enl 1863, Spadra Bluff, AR, paroled June 1865 Alexandria, LA, surrendered 1865 at New Orleans Yates Wm. pvt enl 1862, Callaway Co. Mo. paroled 1862 Macon, Mo. Registered Rec, ex-Confederate 1913 on file Adj. Gen. Office, Jefferson City, Mo.
17) Cooper Co. Mo. Mary Shepherd to Creed Taylor, 17 Aug 1848 (Mary dau of Rebecca & Elijah) Jackson Co Mo. Wm. Yates to Eliz Cole 1844 Andrew Co. Mo: Wm. H. Yates died age 65 yrs, a merchant, had lived in Whitesville several yrs & buried Whitesville Cemetery.
18) From Briet & Hawkins Funeral Home, 408 W Market, Savannah, Mo: We buried Joshia Nelson Yates son of Joshua Yates, 22 Mar 1939. His wife Mary Cornelia Yates d 28 Sept 1941. On 15 Jan 1955 we buried their son, Jewell Yates, 10 Aug 1963 we buried their dau, Amy N. Yates. They are all buried Whitesville Cemetery. There is one dau left or gr dau of Joshua Yates. Mrs. Bessie Cornell, Wausaukee, Wisconsin.
19) From Mo Hist Soc, Columbia, MO: In an account of Lewis Cass Yates it says William Yates was b Aug 1780, Scotland, to US with parents, ships carpenter for US Govt, navy yards, Norfolk, VA for 30 yrs. Emigrated to Cynthiana, Ky & from there to Jackson Co Mo. later to Platte Co. & pre-empted 160 ac till his death in 1842. Became Co Judge & served one term in Platte Co. m Mary Wells, who d 1840 Platte Co Mo, 9 ch, all decd, this book written 1910. Elihu Yates b 13 Sept 1816, Norfolk, VA. son of Wm. & father of Lewis Cass Yates m Susan Porter, 15 Apr 1840. Lewis m Sallie Poteet of Platte Co Mo. 15 Nov 1868 dau of Samuel & Nancy Poteet b 23 Dec 1853. They had 8 ch: Lewis C. Jr., Nancy C., John C., Wm.T., Susan P. There is another article in Annals of Platte Co. by Paxton the librarian of Mo wrote me about-she says he is from Bourbon Co Ky, had son Wm. he m Sarah Lafforn & had ch: Richard W., Mollie B., Alice D., Cora L., Myrtle M., Cappie C., Jacob, Beulah Patte, Clay, Gertie & Wm. These biographies are very confused. Probably just heresay from various family members.
20) 1860 census of Andrew Co. Platte twp, Mo. Yates, Joshua, age 31, b Mo, Eliz 33, R.A. 10, I.H. 7, J.M. 3, P.W. 1.
21) From Vela Swan, county recorder, Napa, CA John Yates d 26 Aug 1909, 62 yrs old b Mo his father was Ira T. Yates, b Va, mother-Johanna Enock Yates d 3 Nov 1911 b 19 July 1853, Mo Shepherd b Tn Jasper Yates d 16 Dec 1918 b 1865 CA Eva Nellie Yates d Jan 1919 b 1881, England, wf of George Yates. Nellie Rachel Yates b 1891 d 1925 b CA father was Daniel S. Yates b Mo.
22) 1983 from Mary DeCristoforo, Portland, Or. Believe the Goffs, Blantons, Shepherds and Yates all knew each other in Lee Co. Va. and came to Mo. together. Elijah Shepherd died in Clay Co. Mo. You might write Mrs. Estella Alley, 1113 E 10th, The Dalles, Or 97058. She mentions a deed of land 1799, Ashe Co NC, buying 200 ac of land and in 1812, William Yates sold it., moved to Lee Co Va. There are deeds of a William Yates buying land, 18 Aug 1814, deed bk 3, pg 112, William and wife Selah, selling land Sept 1815, deed bk 3, pg 273, again in 29 April 1824, William Yates deeding land to Levi Yates, his son.
23) In 1830, Lee Co Va, no Yates.
1830 Jackson Co Mo. census following yates: William Sr., William Jr., Solomon and Rubin
24) Solomon Yates grgrgrfather of Mary, and his 1st wf Rachael Wells had 4 ch: William, Isaac, Rebecca, George Anderson. Rahael died early 1834, Solomon back to VA and married her sister, Mary Wells. Back to Jackson Co Mo. and they had: Rachael, Levina, Benjamin, Evaline, Elizabeth, Solomon, Lucy Ann, Samuel Zackariah, George. In 1864 Mary Wells Yates and some of her ch to Virginia City, Montana.
25) Following are the death records of Daniel Thomas Byrne's grandparents: Joshua McDaniel b 10 Dec 1849, age at death 72, occupation: orchardist, birthplace Mo, maiden name of mother, Rebecca Yates b Va, length of res: 50 yrs d 7 Dec 1922, heart disease, widowed. Informant: Mrs. Lulu Byrne, San Francisco, buried Oak Hill Cemetery, 9 Dec 1922, undertaker: Cocking-Williams Co., San Jose, Ca.
26) Mary Jane McDaniels b 20 Dec 1848, Ky, age at death 62, parents: Wm.M. Fore b. Ga. Eliz Allen b Ky, length of res: 20 yrs in CA 41 yrs, death 14 Aug 1911 of erysipelas, buried Oak Hill Cemetery, San Jose, Ca. undertaker: W.L. Woodrow. Their marriage record Clay Co Mo: Joshua McDaniel and Mary Fore, Rec C, pg 203, E.G. Hamilton, 5 Dec 1869.
27) Some errors in above, Wm.M. Fore was actually born in NC not GA, they moved to Ga before 1840 but he was born 1828 and they were in the 1830 census in NC. Also, Joshua died either Dec 7 or 8th. will check this
28) A marriage record of Joshua's parents: 10 Nov 1847, Joshua Y. McDaniel of Cooper Co. Mo. to Miss Rebechah Shepard of the Co of Andrew by the undersigned, Justice of Peace, Wm. Combest,Bk A, pg 80. As to the middle initital Y -saw this spelled once Joshuay?
29) From Colleen Rickabaugh, 1305 W. Clay St., Ukiah, Ca 95482, family group sheet: Ira Goff Yates b 15 Mar 1821, Lee Co Va, m 15 Aug 1842, Platte Co Mo d 19 June 1899, Lower Lake, Lake Co. CA. married Johannah Shepherd b 1823 Lee Co Va, d 5 May 1896, Lake Co. Ca. Children: William Lewis Yates b 22 Sept 1843 Mo. Owen C. b 22 Sep 1846 Mo. m Mary Jane Cummins, Owen d 28 Sept 1904 Rebecca I. Yates b 1849, Mo. m --Daily Enoch b 19 July 1853 Mo m 14 Aug 1879, Mary B. Eakle in San Francisco d 11 Mar 1911 Napa Co. Ca. burial 11 May 1911, Napa Co. Ca. Lavina A. b 17 Oct 1855 KS m 10 Jan 1871 A.E. Noel d 9 Jan 1919, Lower Lake Co. CA Susie b 1858 KS m 1875, Lower Lake Co. Frank Simmons d 18 Mar 1935 Lower Lake Ca Sarah b 1861 m 1881 Lake Co Ca to Charles H. Gemmill James K.P. Elizabeth
30) From Oran Slaght, 18171 Pheasant Road, Los Gatos, CA 95030, 1984: I have passed your letter on to Barbara Wright Johnson who is the dau of Mary Slaght, now decd. Good luck.
31) From Jean Kohiha, 141 W. Sonoma, Stockton, CA 95204, 1983: My gggrparents were Solomon and Mary Wells Yates. In Gallatin Co MT where I grew up she was referred to as Granny Yates. Solomon and Mary J. Wells were married 9 Sept 1834, Lee Co. VA. (Marr bk vol 1, pg 7). They went to Jackson Co Mo. after the church ceremony according to an account printed in the mug book entitled Progressive Men of the State of Montana. As mug books go, info supposedly is furnished by the person whose life is under discussion. My ggrandmother, Annie Yates Miller was b 1 Oct 1847 in Andrew Co Mo. Solomon Yates died in the late 1850s in Gentry Co Mo. In May of 1864 Granny, with 3 of her ch left for Montana. My Mother's only remaining bro who is about 85 now knew most of the Yates family in Gallatin Co MT. He did not know the Wm. B. Yates that I asked him about for Olan Lewis of Piedmont. However, a document that Olan sent me places Wm. B. Yates in Belgrade, Mt. which is in Gallatin Co. in the late 1800s. It was signed by gramdfathers uncle, Jacob F. Miller. The following from the 1890 voters register for Gallatin Co Mt. 1-John M. Yates, 23 yrs old b Worth Co Mo living in Hillsdale, Mt. 2-Wm.B. Yates, 66 yrs old, born in Lee Co Va. living in Hillsdale 3-Wm.H.L. Yates, 27 yrs old, b Worth Co Mov. living in Hillsdale. I believe the John M. Yates listed is John Monroe Yates, called Roe, who married Rebecca Miller. Her parents were Jacob F. Miller and Evaline Yates, dau of Solomon and Mary WElls Yates. My ggrandmother, Annie Miller also lived at Hillsdale at that time. I have done some checking in Wilkes and Ashe Cos. NC for Yates but found no proof of relationship to any of Lee Co Va. I need to check everything in Wilkes, Ashe, Surry Cos. NC.
32) Marriage record: Andrew Co. Mo. No. 727, I, James C.C. Tatton, Minister of the Gospel, do certify on 25 Sept 1851, I solemnized a marriage between George Miller and Rachael Yates, both of said co., 7 Oct 1851, reg. by Cameron F. Fuller, Circuit Clerk, rec of deeds.
33) Marriage record: Lee Co Va. I, Arthur T. Buchette, Lee Co. Va. do certify that Solomon Yates and Polly Wells were married 9 Sept 1834 in Lee Co. Va. by Andrew Hunter, marriage register no. 1, pg 7.
34) Marriage record: James M. Sitton of Gentry Co Mo. and Rachael Miller of Gentry Co Mo on 1 Apr 1866 at the Brides house by James Yates.
35) From Leeson's history of Montana 1885, Gallatin Co. pg 1146. contriubted by Isla Cain, Rt 4, Box 148, Bozeman, MT. 59715: Mrs. Annie Miller, PO Hillsdale was b 1 Oct 1847, Savannah, Andrew Co Mo. dau of Solomon and Mary Yates. When leaving Mo. for MT she was 16 yrs of age. Her father died before leaving Mo. and the family left for MT 7 Sept 1864, arriving at Virginia City in the same year. Moved to Jefferson Co after buying a farm there, 7 months later. Our subect was married at Virginia City, 13 Nov 1864, to Solomon Miller of Greene Co Il and lived in Jefferson Valley 3 yrs and 2 yrs at Madison Co., returning to Mo back in 1870 and settled at Radersburg, MT Territory, remaining 2 yrs, to Gallatin Valley, 1875, bought a ranch. Mr. Miller died from injuries recd from a horse while crossing a creek, 18 Feb 1880 in the Judity Basin. He died 20 Feb 1880 and was buried at Ft. Benton. The family still resides on the ranch where they located in 1875. Children:
George Lee Miller b Madison Co MT 24 Oct 1865 d 24 Oct 1941 m Althea Conrow Jacob F. (Jack) b Madison Co 28 Apr 1867 d 3 Apr 1937 m Lucy Cowen Mary Eliz b Jefferson Co 8 May 1869 d 6 Feb 1958 m 1888 Theo Stiles b 1857 IN Samuel P. b 8 Oct 1872 d 13 Mar 1933 m 1st Lily Chism m 2nd-- Zack T. b Jefferson Co Mt 21 Nov 1874 d 12 Aug 1928 m Myra Yadon Emma Miller b Gallatin co 4 Mar 1876 d 20 Feb 1914 m Frank H. Durham Lemuel P. Miller b Gallatin Co 18 June 1879 d 6 Sept 1963 m Rena Sorrels Nacariat T. Miller b 21 Nov 1874 36) In 1974 from Wm. A. Yates: There is a marriage in Surry Co NC for Wm. Yates 15 Mar 1787 to Eliz Miller. This might have been the William in Wilkes Co NC in 1790. A William Yates died in Wilkes 1791. His son Stephen Yates was admr and I found a paper in the estate papers in the State Archives stating there was no estate, real or personal for William. Oct term 1791, an inventory of the estate of William Yates..only a debt of 70 pounds due from Robert Husband who hired the said deceased as a substitute in 12 months service but as part of the money is paid and the accound could not yet be settled, the admr cannot at this time tell how much is due..a true acct returned by Stephen Yates, admr.
37) In Ashe Co NC, deed bk a, pg 166, 2 Jan 1801 Grant to William Yates 200 ac AsheCo. (Ashe formed from Wilkes Co 1799 and took in parts of Elk where the Yates lived), pg 270, 12 Feb 1802 between Joshua Yates and Samuel Griffith, 100 ac pg 303, 27 NOV 1801, N.C. Grant, Joshua Yates, 100 ac Ashe Co. This William Yates was Rebecca's father, probably the Joshua was his brother.
38) There is a will in Wilkes Co for Richard Yates who died 1826, names 12 ch, inc a Jesse, William, John, Hugh, Richard and James. There was a Joshua Yates in Wilkes as early as 1779. There was a Sthomas Yates in Surry, 1785, in the Hunting Creek area near the Wilkes Co line which later became Yadkin Co. Also working on Yates: Gail Erickson, 17570 Matinal Dr., Racho Bernardo, CA 92127
39) Final settlement of deceased soldiers: Hashell Yates, cpl in Capt Earl's co, 9th regt KS vol, cav, b Lee Co. Va. aged 36 yrs, 5 ft 10 3/4 in high, light skin, brown eyes, black hair, joined at Lawrence, KS, mustered in Ft Leavenworth, 13 Sept 1861, died in hospital,--Ks, 13 Nov 1862 of fever. Was last paid by Paymaster to inc 31 Aug 1862, signed George F. Earl, Capt.
40) From NC, ordered by the court that Sally Yates, child of Polly Yates, 2 yrs, 16 Oct last be bound with William Hamby until she is 18 yrs of age. (This is Wilkes Co, have never learned more about this).
41) From Sarah Pierson, Star Rt 2, Box 215A, New Braunfels, TX, 78130:
Enoch Shepherd b 1800 VA d Oct 1859, lived Lee Co. Va., Jackson and Andrew Cos. Mo. son of James and Rachel Shepherd Sr. married Louvina Mileham b 1802, NC. Children:
Nimrod b 1820 Lee Co Va m Sally Ann Combest, 9 Nov 1829 Ky d 8 Sept 1891
Joanne b 1823 Va or TN m 25 May 1842, Platte Co Mo. to Ira Goff Yates b 15 Mar 1821, Lee Co Va.
Jacob b 9 June 1829, Jackson Co Mo. m 20 Mar 1851 Harriet Combest, who was b 6 Aug 1834, Ky d 13 Mar 1917. Jacob d 3 Dec 1916, St. Joseph Mo. Buchanan Co Mo., Union Chapel Cemetery, DeKalb Mo. Angeline b 1833, Mo m William H. Yates b 1825 Va. Mary b 1836 Mo. m Wyatt Jasper Combest b 9 Dec 1825 Ky married 10 Oct 1852, Andrew Co Mo. Mary d 17 July 1929 buried Flag Spgs Cemetery, Flag Spgs, Mo. William Harrison Burton b 1843 Mo and Nancy Justice Hainey b 26 Mar 1844 Il d 1924 buried Whitesville Cemetery, Andrew Co Mo. They were married 1862 Nodaway Co Mo. William d 1904 buried Whitesville Cemetery, this is confusing guess it is William Harrison Burton Shepherd.
42) 1900 CA soundex: Enoch Yates, b July 1853 Mo, in Napa twp, Napa Co. Ca. Mary L. wf b 1853, age 46 by NJ, Echel John step son, July 1873, Ca. age 26, George W. Yates son b June 1880 age 19 b CA
43) Yates, Daniel b July 1851 age 48 b Mo, Napa Co. Yount twp. Lou wf b Mar 1852 age 48 b Mo. Nellie R. dau b Sept 1890, Ca. age 9.
44) From M.V. Keltner, 18033 Jack Tone Rd, Manteca, CA, 95336, 1973. (I was sorry I didnt visit her, she died soon after). I recd a note from my 1st cousin, Mary Slaght Wright of San Jose with a copy of your inquiry about the Joshua McDaniel family. I was surprised and interested. I guess he was a great uncle of mine. We called him Uncle Josh. My father was a Shepherd and his father was gone before I wqas born. His mother died earlier in Mo. (Rebecca Yates Shepherd McDaniel d 1885 in CA). There were 3 sons, John, William, Jim and 2 girls. One girl died quite yg and the other Annie married a Slaght. She was Mary's mother and lived to a good age. John had 4 boys and a girl and lived at Edenvale, so of San Jose. All are gone but 1 boy, Frank, had children who lived around Los Gates or San Jose . William Shepherd went to Mexico to work in a mine about 1880. He married a Mexican woman and had 3 girls. When he learned he was about to die of TB he brought his family to San Jose. His wf died soon after of TB, about 1896 and the girls were put into a convent. He must have had some income from the mine to pay for it. Two of the girls also died of TB leaving the ygst, Marie, about my age, to be raised. As soon as she reached 18 they turned her loose to face the world with nothing. She went to San Francisco, got a job, met a wonderful man whom she married and had a happy life until she passed away of cancer about 20 yrs ago. (Cant remember the name of her husband but he was Chinese). There were 3 girls in my (Jim"s) family. I was the ygst and will be 83 next month. All my family have gone but have 2 nephews and a niece. Our baby died at birth. Annie had 3 boys & 2 girls. Mary was the ygst and I think the last one left. She has a nice family and we hear from each other in San Jose at least once a year.
45) I remember the Yates family too but was not sure if or how they were related. A dau lived in Mayfield, now a part of Palo Alto, when I went there to teach, 1914. Her husband published the weekly paper but I have forgotten his name. She died while I was there. Another Yates operated a resort in Lake Co and Lulu McDaniel spent her summer vacation there and met the man she married, a police officer of San Francisco by the name of Byrne. I assume you are a dau in law of her. After her marriage, I only saw her once or twice and then heard of her death. I often wondered what became of her children. She taught school at or near Sunnyvale until she was married and I frequently visited them at the ranch. I lost the location of the ranch after the freeway was built which by passed it. The old road went by their palce.
There were 2 other families that were cousins. One was the Taylor family and the other Mileham. Le Taylor had a dau, Edna, about my age, who died 20 yrs ago. She had no ch. The others either didnt marry or had no children. Records werent kept very well. I would be glad to meet you. My husband has been gone 8 1/2 yrs. Signed: Maud Shepherd Keltner.
46) From Mrs. Frank McGrady, 604 E. 6th St, Lee Summit, MO, 64063: I am related to Elijah Shepherd who married Rebecca Yates. My ggrfather was James P. Shepherd Jr. He and Elijah were sons of James P. Shepherd Sr who came to Jackson Co Mo in the 1820s from Lee Co Va. I have the name of a blood relative of your husband's who lives in CA. Mrs. Oren Pearson. I am corresponding with Mabel Louise at this time, we are working on the Shepherd history. My grfather on my mothers side was William Winfield Yates b NC 19 Sept 1849 d Warrensburg, Mo 14 Aug 1925. He was a Union soldier in the Civil War. He married Mary Emma Martin at Shell City, Mo 26 Aug 1880. <>47) Andrew Co Mo: Shepherd, Elijah died intestate, admr: Solomon Yates, 21 Oct 1844, sec: Levi Yates, James Woosley, Isaac Blanton, Elias H. Davis. Deceased left wife and 7 children: Polly, Levi, James, William, Rachel, Elijah and Celia Ann Shepherd all of Andrew Co. (Bond A-62)
48) Platte Co deed bk F, pg 103, 6 Mar 1848 between Levi Yates, etal of the 1st part & jesse Miller 2nd part $1600, indebtedness by Wm.M. Macey, decd, to Wm. Yates, decd, by virtue of power vested as heirs of Wm. Yates, decd, 4 Nov 1845 by Wm. M. Macey, decd to Wm. Yates, decd, as herein specified.
49) From Denny Alumbaugh, Rt 1, Box 14A-1, Clearwater, KS 67026: I have Wm. Haskell Yates b 21 Apr 1841, Platte Co Mo d 20 May 1909, Waverly, Coffey Co Ks. m 2 Dec 1860 Platte Co Mo to Allie Malissa Narrimore. He is my grgrgrfather. We had a Yates reunion 2 wks ago, (1988). my cousin told me our Wm.'s middle name was Heskell, her bro had the same middle name . I would like to know more about Wm.'s son, Elihu b 13 Sept 1816, Lee Co Va. m Susan Porter, she m 1st Mr. Ballew and had son Enoch. The info I have shows Elihu had son Lewis Cass Yates b 24 July 1844.
50) 1860 census Platte Co Mo: Yates, Susan age 45, b Va, Wm. 19, Mo., Thomas 17, Louis 7 Nancy 10.
51) Chart of William Heistkel Yates b 21 Apr 1841, Platte Co Mo. d 20 May 1909, Waverly, Coffey Co Ks, m 2 Dec 1860 Platte Co Mo to Allie Malissa Narrimore b 9 Apr 1840, Wayne Co Mo d 21 June 1925, Waverly, Coffey Co Ks. father: Nelson Matison Narramore b 1809, Bledsoe Co TN, mother Dolly Smith b ca 1815, VA. Chart of William & Allie: 1-Nancy Jane Yates b 19 Oct 1861, Platte Co Mo d 15 May 1918 m Marvin Bart Kelly b 1860 d 16 June 1913 2-Susan Dollie Yates b 16 Oct 1863 d 18 Apr 1951 m Sterling Elijah Price McCollum b 1861 d 8 Dec 1934 3-Annie Liza Yates b 25 Dec 1865 d 4 Sept 1957 m James Edward Lee Purkey b 12 Sep 1865 d 2 Feb 1951 4-Joseph Yates b 3 Mar 1867 d 1886 5-Malissa Lee Yates b Feb 1870 d 16 Feb 1952 m Benj Franklin Craycraft, b Feb 1866, Greenup Co Ky 6-Elihue Mattison Yates b 22 Nov 1873 d 14 Jul 1943 m Frances Hood d 1961 7-Mary Angeline Yates b 1876 Jackson Co Mo m Francis Marion Burks, Mary d Mar 1952 8-Willie May Yates b 1878 m Isaac Newman Burks, Willie d Oct 1962 9-Marvin Yates b 1882 10-Edward Arnold Yates b 1884, Lee's Summit, Jackson Co Mo m May Reiner d June 1962
52) Re the letter from Denny Alumbaugh there is some confusion due to a book written in 1910, History of Lafayette Co. this tells of Elihu Yates, son of Wm. and father of Lewis Cass Yates..etc It says that William was born in Scotland 1780 and worked for 30 years in Norfolk, Va. as a ships carpenter, for the US Govt., it says he emigrated from there to Cynthiana, Ky, and from there to Jackson Co. Mo. later to Platte Co. Became Co Judge & served one term in Platte Co. m Mary Wells, native of Va, and she d 1840, Platte Co. 9 ch, all decd.
This is a terrible mess--as William the father of Elihu did not marry Mary Wells, his son Solomon did. Also he couldnt have worked 30 yrs in Va, as he was in NC 1800 where his first child Levi was born, then to Lee Co Va, then Jackson Co. Mo. I wrote once to the Historical Society in that Mo area but they werent too interested in the mix up.
53) Jan 1970 from Charles Hartzog, 1107 Japonica Lane, Cocoa, FL 32922: My grgrmother, Martha Jane Yates Shepherd of Ashe and Wilkes Co NC was a dau of Squire Allen Yates and his wf Eliz Miller. She had a sister named Rebecca M. b ca 1870. I believe but no proof that we are also descendants of John Yates of Wilkes Co. as I believe he was the first Yates to settle there, with the exception of Joshua Yates who had his property confiscated. This Joshua did leave that area before 1800 as he is not in the 1790 census of Wilkes or the 1800 census of Ashe. Benj Yates is the only Yates in 1800 census of Ashe Co. John Yates b VA., 1754, to Wilkes before the Revolution.
In 1988 I received a letter from Charles's dau, that he was deceased and she was carrying on his research.
54) From Sandra Reeves, 231 Cedar Ave, Pt. Hadlock, WA 98339, Sept 1993:
Elijah Shepherd m 22 Maar 1829, son of James & Rachel Gault Shepherd, wife Rebecca Yates b 1811, Lee Co Va. Ch:
1-Levi Shepherd b 1831, Mo m JoAnn Campbell, 27 Jan 1853, Cooper Co Mo
2-Polly (Mary Alice) Shepherd m Creed Taylor
3-James Shepherd b 1833, Mo
5-Elijah Shepherd b 1841
6-Celia Ann Shepherd
55) James Shepherd b 1767 d 1853 Blue twp, Jackson Co Mo wife Rachel Gault b 1760/1770 d 1830/40 Jackson Co Mo Ch:
1-John P. Shepherd b 1798 m Eleanor Boggs 1845
2-William Shepherd m Louvina Flannery 20 Feb 1848, Jackson Co Mo
3-James P. Shepherd b 1803 Va m Catherine Van Guilley, 1851
4-Jonathan Shepherd b 1811 m Emily B. Yates 16 Jan 1836, Jackson Co Mo
5-Enoch Shepherd b 1800 ancestor of Sandra Reeves d 1850 Nodaway Co. Mo. m Levina Milihan
6-Nimrod Shepherd b 1808 d 1854 Andrew Co Mo. m Sarah Jane Johnson 2 Nov 1840 Jackson Co Mo.
7-Johannah Shepherd b 1792/1798 Va m Jacob Wells, 1842
8-Rachel Shepherd b 1807/1810 Va buried Yates Cemetery, Platte twp, Andrew Co Mo m Richard Mileham 23 Aug 1827, Clay Co Mo
9-Levi Shepherd d 1838 Mo m Mary Thorp
10-Elijah Shepherd m 22 Mar 1829 Jackson Co Mo. Rebecca Yates
11-Elisabeth Shepherd d 1853 Mo m Robert Wells
56) From Clerk of Worth Co. Grant City, Mo 64456, Mar 1989: I searched probate records and f ound Levi J. Yates but he died 1874, possibly a son? Eliz Yates estate had L.J. Yates as Admr, there is a $4.00 fee and $1. per document fee. No will under Levi's name.
57) From Phyllis Norwood, 304 N DeClark, Emmett, Idaho 83611: Apr 1989, The Levi Yates that died 4 Mar 1864, Oxford, Mo was bro of Rebecca. Eliz his wife died 20 Oct 1873, Levi J. Yates d 26 June 1873 which would mean he couldnt be an admr of his mother Eliz's estate. I have been to the Oxford cemetery and have pictures of all 3 grave stones. It definitely said 1873 on L.J. Yates grave. Am enc some excerpts from Mo Pioneers.
Vol XV, pg 57, wills, bonds & admr Bk A, 1861-1875, Worth Co. Mo.: Yates, Levi d intestate, admr. Levy (Levi) J. Yates, sec: Wiley B. McNight and Joshua Yates, 2 Apr 1867, pg 46
58) Yates, Levi J. decd, Wm.B. Yates states the heirs of Levi J. Yates are: Dicy Eliz, John Albert, Hannah Jane, Emma Permelia, Sarah Smith, Arilla and Benj J. Yates all of Worth Co Mo. 7 Oct 1873, pg 142
59) Mo Pioneers vol III, pg 39: Abstracts of wills & admr of Jackson Co Mo. 1828-1848, Yates, Joshua died intestate, admr Wm. Yates 29 Oct 1828 (E:4) sec: Smallwood V. Noland and John Smih, 20 Oct 1828 (E 2:6)
60) Mo Pioneers Vol II pg 33 abstracts of wills from Will bk A, 1841-1856, Bk A, 1841-1854, Andrew Co Mo: Yates, Elihu, died intestate admr Enoch Shepherd, 9 June 1852. sec: John Porter and Susan Yates, Bond A-259. Yeates (Yates) Joshua died intestate, admr: Mary Yates, 13 Feb 1850, sec. Samuel Allen and James J. Dougherty, bond A-191
61) By Betty Lee Stalder to Yates Publishing Co:
Abel Yates son of Wm. & Seely b 1815 Lee Co Va m 1-Phebe Blanton, 11 Apr 1830, Jackson Co Mo. Ch:
1-Taylor b 1834, Mo.
2-Celia b 1837-Mo
3-Willis b 1838-IN (?)
4-J.K. Polk b 1841, Mo
62) 1850 Buchanan Co. Mo. census: m 2-China Meyers 16 Nov 1843, Mo. Ch:
5-Martha b 1845 Mo
63) From Jack Schaedler, 5204 Nelson St., Sacramento, CA 95820:
My Mother said Hiskiel Yates owned a horse farm in Mo & made up a unit to fight in the Civil War. He was in the cavalry.
64) Group sheet from Bradford McDouall, Lt. Col. 4437 Wyatt Lane, Redding, CA 96002, Aug 1983:
John William Yates b 1818, NC m 1842 d 9 Feb 1896, Windsor, Sonoma Co CA. Shiloh Cemetery, parents unk. wife: Hannah Taylor Smyth, also Smith b 1822 NJ) d 25 Feb 1911, Santa Rosa, Sonoma Co. Ca.
65) Group sheet from Mrs. I. Rickabaugh, 1305 W Clay St, Ukiah, CA 95482:
Ira Goff Yates b 1821, Lee Co Va m 15 Aug 1843, Platte Co Mo. d 19 June 1899, Lower Lake, Ca.
son of Wm. Yates, married Johannah Shepherd b 1823, Lee Co Va d 5 May 1896, Lower Lake, Lake Co. CA. CH:
1-Wm. Lewis Yates b 22 Sept 1843, MO
2=Owen Caulfield b 22 Sept 1846 Andrew Co Mo d 28 Sept 1904, Sonoma Co Ca m Mary Jane Cummins
3-Rebecca I. b 3 Apr 1849, Andrew Co. Mo. d 11 Dec 1916, Big Valley, Lake Co Ca. buried Lakeport, Lake Co. CA m Charles Goodwin
4-Enoch b 19 July 1853, Mo m 14 Aug 1879, San Francisco d 3 Nov 1911, Napa Co. CA. m Mary E. Eakle
5-Lavina A. b 17 Oct 1855, Leavenworth, KS m 10 Jan 871 d 9 Jan 1919, Lower Lake Ca. m A.E. Noel.
6-Susie b 1858 KS m 1 May 1875, Lower Lake Ca d 18 Maar 1935, Lower Lake m Frank Simmons
7-Sarah (Sallie) b 1861 m 7 Nov 1881, Lake Co. Ca. Charles H. Gemmill
66) From Jack Schoedler, Sacramento, Ca. phone: 1-916-454-5947:
Robert C. Yates b 1859 m Emma Emily Hill b 1866 -Robert had bro Jack, sister Annie Montague, m 8 Sept 1881, Junction City, Davis Co KS. 1886-Santa Rosa, Ca. 1888 state of WA, 1887 Roseburg, OR 1900 Los Angeles Co. 1910 Sacramento
Death certificate says: 25 yrs in CA, fathers name on death certificate was Haskal, parents b Mo.
67) From Irwin Wells, Tx: Petition for partition Mar 1854, Circuit Court, Jackson Co Mo. W 1/2 of SE 1/4-12-49-32 160 ac, y 535
William Shepherd, Johannah Wells, John P. Shepherd, Enoch Shepherd, James Shepherd, Rachael Milchner, Jonathan Shepherd, Nimrod Shepherd, Wm. Wells, Louisa Duff, Geo W. Wells, Franklin Wells, Clarinda Johnson, Wm.F. Johnson, Rachael Spurling, Jonathan Spurling, Sedalia Hagen, Wm. Hagen, Wm.L. Shepherd, Lucinda Flannery, Zion Flannyer, Eliz Wells, Stephen Wells, Robt C. Shepherd, Franklin Shepherd, Roseina Henderson, Daniel Henderson, Jas G. Shepherd, Levi Shepherd, Polly Taylor, Creed Taylor (Polly was dau of Elijah & Rebecca Yates Shepherd)
Martin V.B. Shepherd, James Shepherd Jr., Wm. Shepherd, Elijah Shepherd, Cecilia Ann Shepherd, Elijah C. Stayton, Danelle J. Stayton.
This is a record of some court action that was taken so the land of James Pendleton Shepherd Sr could be sold. I have been told that Enoch Shepherd son of James Sr. bought the land for $5000.
68) From Jack Schaedler: June 1992: Elisha Andrwe Jackson Yates, 1920 census of Pendleton, Or. Eliz Pettijohn Yates was 76, mother of 8 with 4 living, from TN father from Wales/Germany, mother from Pa, can read, cant write, owned house free, might have been 1413 Court St.
69) 1910 census Andrew Jackson Yates was living with her, he died 1911.
70) Rebecca Jane Shepherd and Charles L. Eager, Anna Lee Eager and Frederick Kueffer, Lewis Virgil Eager, interred Walnut Grove Cemetery, Boonville, Cooper Co. Mo.
Clara Ethel Eager Hickam interred Hickam Cemetery, Lupus, Mointeau Co. Mo.
Pearla Eager, interred Gooch's Mill Cemetery, Cooper Co. Mo.
71) From Ina Mary McGrady:
1830 Jackson Co. Mo. pg 310: James Shepherd, males: 2 und 5, 1-20/30, females: 2-5 & under 10, 1-20/30
72) 1840 census Jackson Co. Mo. pg 61, roll 72: James Shepherd, males 2-5 & und 10, 1-10/15, 1-30/40, females: 1 und 5, 1-5 & und 10, 1-10/15, 1-15/20, 1-20/30
73) 1850 census Jackson Co Mo: James P. Shepherd, age 47, farmer, b Va, Catherine Shepherd age 46 b Va, William M. Shepherd age 17, school b Mo, Geo W. Shepherd age 11, b Mo
74) Blue twp Jackson Co. Mo. 1860, Catherine Shepherd, age 60 b Va, cannot read or write
George W. age 18, b Mo, Susan E. age 7 b Mo, Margaret Baker age 15 b Ky
75) 1820 census Lee Co Va, James Shepherd, males 1 und 10, 2-10/16, 1-16/18, 2-16/26, 1 ov 45, females: 1 und 10, 1-10/16, 2-16/26, 1 ov 45, 2 males slaves und 14, 1 fem 14-26
76) Blue twp Co Of Jackson Mo. 27 Aug 1850 James Shepherd, age 83, male, farmer RE $4,000 b NC
77) Story of Wise Co VA by Luther Addington:First settlers came by accident prior to the Revolution. They came from the older settlements in the lower part of Powell Valley, some attempted to follow Boone into Ky but finding the journey difficult stopped and built cabins in Powell Valley. This route came Richard Wells from lowlands of NC about 1792, William Wells probably son of Richard, purchased land from James Shepherd, 1810. James Shepherd one of the first settlers in Wise Co. Zachariah Wells, another son of Richard, purchased land on the mouth of Looneys Creek, 805. The lower part of town of Appalachia now built on this land.
78) Jan 1990 from Dana Davis Symoniak, 3448 Red Mills Rd, RD 3, Mahopac, NY 20541: John Mooney Shepherd b ca 1798, Wilkes Co Nc, m 1820 Lee Co Va to Mary Collier b 1801, Va d ca 1860 Scott Co Va. Their son Joseph C. Shepherd b ca 1822 Lee Co Va m 1847 Scott Co Va. d May 1879, Scott Co. m. Amanda Eliz Shipley.
79) Feb 1992 from Irvin Wells, 1 Green Tee Dr., Pantego, TX 76013:
List of my relatives mostly b Lee Co Va. who migrated to Blue Country on the Osage Reservation in Mo 1821/26. They settled around Independence, Jackson Co. Mo.
James Pendleton Sheperd Sr b 1767 d 1853 m Rachel Gault
James P. Shepherd Jr 1803 m Catherine Von Guilley
Stephen Wells 1796 m ?
Jonathan Shepherd m Emily B. Yates
Elizah Shepherd m Rebecca Yates
Robert Wells m Eliz Shepherd
Jacob Wells m Johannah Shepherd
Rev Wells m Rebecca Shepherd
Levi Shepherd m Eliz Yates
Isaac Blanton Wells m Sarah Ann Shepherd
- Yates to Ann Shepherd
80) 1820 census Lee Co Va. the following Yates: William and Levi
81) The only marriage record I could ever find for a William Yates before 1800 in Nc was to Eliz Miller, 15 Mar 1787
82) From Phyllis Norwood, Emmett, Idaho, Aug 1988: Have you found a marriage rec for John Cole to Cecilia Ann Yates or to Lucinda Louinda Yates, both daus of Levi & Eliz Yates of Gentry Co now Worth Co. Mo.
83) From Audrey Smith, 11181 NE Weidler, Portland, OR 97220, Feb 1988: My grandmother was Mary Lavisa Yates b Savannah, Andrew Co Mo. m Geo Wash Montague, 1882, they left Junction City, Geary Co Ks for Or. First to Baker Co, then Walla Walla, Wa. where my mother was b, back to Or after 1885, to the Dalles , then to Arlington Gilliam Co Or. Mary Lavisa Yates father was Haskell Yates b ca 1824/5 Lee Co. Va to Wm. Yates and his wife Seeley or Selah.
84) From Nancy Wagenseller, 1313 Arbot Av, Belmont, Ca 94002, Feb 1988: Rebecca Yates Shepherd McDaniel was my grgrgrgrmother. Her dau, Sarah Ann we hear it was Sealie Ann Shepherd m James R. Mileham, Mo. 1857. One of their sons, James Joshua Mileham m & one of his sons was Frank Clyde Mileham who was my grfather.
85) From Mrs. G. Johnson, 148 Westhill Dr, Los Gatos, CA 95030, Apr 1984: My cousin, Oran Slaght gave me your letter re Mary Slaght. Mary Slaght Wright was my sorry, she died 7 yrs ago. My grmother was a Shepherd. I have a niece who works on genealogy: Mrs. Amanda Cottrell, 430 S Regent St, Stockton, CA 95204.
86) 1900 soundex CA: William L. Yates, age 51, b March 1849, Alameda Co. Brooklyn twp, San Leandro Rd, b Mo. Mellie wf, b Aug 1859 age 40 b Or, Louise dau b July 1883, age 16 b CA, Sarah b Feb 1886, age 14, May b Mar 1888 age 12, Ethel b Apr 1896, age 4.
87) Robert J. Yates b May 1857 age 43, Alameda Co. Alameda twp, 2213 Paciic Av, wf Nora T. b June 1864, age 35 b Ireland
88) William L. Yates was son of Andrew Jackson Yates who was son of William and Seeley Yates.
Not certain who Robert J. Yates was.
89) 1910 Alameda Co. William L. Yates age 61 b Mo, Mille age 56 b Or, Ethel dau 14, Ca, Lukes, Sarah A. dau 24, b OR, May dau 22, b Or, Lukes, Harry C. son in law, age 26 b Ca, Lukes, Nichol, gr dau age 2 b Ca.
90) CA death indexes: 1939-83
spouse H.C. Lukes
Althea Lukes, Los Angeles Co d 21 May 1981, SS: 560-63-6802, issued in Ca.
91) Death record: William Lewis Yates d 27 Sept 1916, wf Millie Yates, William b 7 Mar 1849, age 67, 6 mos 20 days, retired, dairyman b Mo, father: Jackson Yates b Mo. mother: Mary Pettyjohn b Mo, In Ca 46 yrs d of Hepaciccirrhosis, signed: Mrs. W.L. Yates, 1617-8th St., Alameda, Ca. undertakes: Fowler Und. Co. 2244 Santa Clara Av, Alameda.
92) Fron Nancy Wagenseller, Belmont, Ca: Celia Ann Shepherd Mileham died 1901. her husband died 1884.
93) Listed LDS by Linda Mae Maddox, Orangevale, CA. Marriage of William Blanton and Eliz Rush, 18 May 1855, Eugene, Lane Co OR, John Blanton and Catherine Shepherd, 17 Dec 1855, Eugene, Or. his age 22. Jackson Co Mo.
94) Evergreen Cemetery, 6450 Camden, Oakland, Ca 94605: William Lewis Yates, residence, Oakland b 1849 d 17 Sept 1916, cause, hepatic cirrhosis, age 67, location: Garden of Serenity, space 43, row 19, mortuary: Fowler, next of kin: Millie Yates
95) Millie Yates, last place of res: Moraga, Ca. b 1859 Or, cancer of the uterus, age 80, space 42, row 19, remains of Ethel M. Dethlefson, 1974 and in 1975 remains of LeLand J. Dethlefson are interred with Millie. Mortuary: Miller. Next of kin: Althea Lukes, Rt 4, Box 344, Sonoma Co. Ca.
96) From Colleen Rickabaugh, 1305 W Clay St, Ukiah, CA 95482: Nov 1985, Found the following on Andrew Jackson Yates:
1850 census- Andrew Co shows Andrew with son William
1860 census-Andrew Co Mo. shows four children
1870 census-Lake Co CA shows no sign of wf Mary but does show 6 ch.
1880 census-Lake Co. Andrew is missing. James Yates who appeared on the 1870 census of A.J. Yates is still in Lake Co. 1880 with a wf and 2 ch.
Andrew Jackson Yates or one of his 3 sons signed the Great Register of Lake Co CA between 1870 and 1902. I located mention of A.J. Yates going to trial. 7 Oct 1876 he was charged with a felony of fraudulently presenting account for allowance and bail was set at $1000. To this charge he pleaded not guilty. After many stalls, the trial was set for 10 Apr 1877. The atty moved to dismiss and exonerate bail and the court so ordered. In 1872 a Rachel Yates recorded her brand and earmark.
97) (I found Andrew Jackson Yates 1880 census of Santa Clara Co. Ca.).
98) Jackson Co Mo. Blue township, this is to certify that I, William Yates, a Justice of the peace did marry Elijah Shepherd and Rebeckah Yates on the 22 March 1829. I, Samuel C. Owens, rec for Jackson Co. certify that the certificate was filed in my office, 20 June 1829.
99) Death record: Levi Shepherd, Cooper Co. Saline twp, Mo. b 20 Aug 1831, age at death 82 yrs, 8 mos 25 days., farmer, born Jackson Co. Mo. father Elijah Shepherd b Ky, mother Rebecca Yates b Ky (wrong-b Va) informant: C.M. Shepherd, Pilot Grove, Mo., d 15 May 1914, cause: metral insufficency, buried Big Licks Cemetery, Overton, Mo.
100) Death record: Sarah Althea Lukes b 14 Feb 1886 d 21 May 1981, age 95, b OR., father William Yates, birthplace unk, mother Melvina Pettijohn b OR. husband Harry C. Lukes, address: 1457 Colorado Bl., Los Angeles, Ca. informant: Mrs. Violette E. Anderson, dau, same address, 90041., died of arteriscertes heart disease. Burial: Forest law memorial park, 1712 Glendale Av, Glendale, CA. 91209.
101) Group sheet of Elihu Yates from Denny Alumbaugh, Clearwater, KS 67026:
Elihu b 13 Sept 1816, Lee Co VA d 9 June 1852, Platte Co Mo. buried Andrew Co Mo. m 15 Apr 1840 to Susan Porter b ca 1815, Va. m 1-Mr. Balleau, 1 son Enoch. Elihu son of William Yates d 1845, Andrew Co. Mo.
Ch of Elihu & Susan Porter Yates:
William Heistel Yates b 21 Apr 1841, Platte Co Mo d 20 May 1909, Waverly, Coffey Co Ks m 2 Dec 1860 to Allie Malissa Natrrimore b 9 Apr 1840, Wayne Co Mo d 21 June 1925, Coffey Co. KS.
Thomas Yates b ca 1843 Mo.
Lewis Cass Yates b 24 Jul 1844, Savannah, Andrew Co. Mo. m 15 Nov 1868, Platte Co Mo. to Sallie Poteet b 25 Dec 1853.
Nancy Ann Yates b ca 1850 Mo. m 1882 Frederick Henry Kamphefner b 25 Feb 1843, Dearborn Co IN d Platte Co. Mo.
102) From Dick Porter, 555 E Hemmi Rd, Lynden WA 98264, Aug 1989:
He lists Susanna Porter b 1818, Va dau of William Porter b ca 1780 d before March 1852, Platte Co. Mo. and wf Anna Hammond b 1784, d 1870 Platte Co Mo. Susanna m John Balleu. Then married Elijah Yates - he lists their ch as William, Thomas A. Lewis C. and Nancy Yates.
103) From Florine Denney, 347 S 6th St, Savannah, Mo. July 1989: My Grandma Wright was named Jerusha Yates and her mother was Eveline Emele Clements. That is all I have. I am crippled with arthitis.
104) From Cemetery inscriptions, Andrew Co Historical Society, Vol I:
Under Platte twp, Books pertaining to these cemeteries may be obtained from Mrs. J.D. Marcum, 1216 Hillside Dr., Savannah, Mo 64485 or Mrs. Herb Farr, 510 Sioux Lane, Savannah.
There is a Yates, Allen, Goff, McDaniel, McDonald, Pettijohn, Mileham, White, Wells, Smith section, plus others.
105) Mileham, Rachael O. d 1874 age 21
Mileham, Rachael d 886 age 80
Yates, Richard Albert d 1873, age 23
Jeptha M. b 1857 d 1883 age 23
Thompson Hill son of J & E Yates b 1853 d 1878 age 24
Jonathan Edward son of J & E Yates b 1862 d 1876 age 13
John W. d 1888, age 28
Louesa J. dau of J.W. & E. Yates d 1888 age 5
Maggie E. dau of J.W. & E. Yates d 1888 age 8
Elisabeth wf of Joshua Yates b 13 Jan 1827 d 18 May 1890
Yates, Joshua d 3 May 1891, age 62 yr, 5 mos, 28 da.
Richard A. inf son of Jeptha & Mary E. Yates b 1883 d 1884
Goff, James ?E. b 1876 d 1925, wf Julia.
Goff, Toliver d 1880 age 75
Goff, Jess d 1851 age 56 wf Ellen
106) McDaniel, Caroline wf of John McDaniel d 27 Aug 1877 age 53, 4 mos 28 days-Greenwick Cemtery
Stones on the Sam Baker Farm, Whitesville:
McDaniel, Mary S. wf of John McDaniel b 9 July 1822 d 29 Dec 1860
McDaniel, Joshua Y.N. son of John and Mary McDaniel b 14 July 1844, d 1 June 1869
McDaniel, Amos W.E. son of John & Mary McDaniel b 12 Sept 18-- d 25 Dec 1862
107) (John McDaniel was the step son of Rebecca Yates Shepherd McDaniel)
Stokes Co NC Minute book 1790-1800 Wm. Yeats, 6 Dec 1794, apptd as a jury to view a road.
108) 5 Sept 1797 Joseph Miller apptd gdn to Thomas, Anna, Eliz & Sarah Yates, orphans of Wm. Yates decd who entered into bond with John Krouse & Christian Cunrode securities for his faithful performance in his guardianship. (This was sent to me by Wm. Yates, now of Stevensville, MT).
109) From DeeDee Elliott, Box 1013, Redmond, Or 99756, I was able to help her find more about
Jeptha, 1997. Eugene City Guard, Lane Co. OR 9 Aug 1890: Jeptha C. Yates died at his home in Irving, Lane Co. Tues, Aug 5, of pneumonia after an illness of 13 days, aged 63 yrs, 10 mos 28 days. Mr. Yates b Jackson Co Mo. 7 Sept 1831. He came to OR in 1854, settled in Lane Co., a wife, son W.B. Yates and 3 daus, Mrs. S. Bowers, Mrs. A.J. Conrad, Mrs. J. Honig survive him. The funeral took place Wed under the auspices of the Eugene A.O.U.W. lodge which he was a member. 41 vehicles in line about 20 workmen from Eugene attended the funeral, Luper Cemetery.
110) From Mrs. Vernon Detro, Gen Del, Coalville, Utah 84011: My cousin, Maud Yates sent your letter. We have no further back than ggrandfather, Joshua Yates and Fred's grfather, George Washington Yates. They married sisters, Elizabeth and Sarah Mileham. My maternal grmother, Rachel Melissa Yates Cundiff was the only girl, she d 3 Jan 1953, age 86 yrs 4 mos 11 days. My Mother Martha Eliz Cundiff is living at 81 yrs. Her sister Maggie Luella Cundiff Duke knew who Joshua's father was. My husband, Vernon, works at road construction, we visit Mo, 1 or 2 wks in the winter. Last Nov we got to Denver & visited our 2 ch and families, then to Andrew Co. Mo.
Levi and Eliz Yates sold 40 ac, deed 16 Dec 1843 in same area where Grandma & my Mother were born. Solomon & wf Polly sold in 1845 and Ira & wf Joanna sold in 1851. Abel Yates, Holt Co & Mrs. Myers of Andrew Co m 16 Nov 1843 in Andrew Co. Jackson Yates & Mary Pettijohn m 19 Dec 1846, Hiskiel Yates & Eliz Pettijohn m 11 Feb 1847. Joshua Yates & Eliz Mileham m 25 Apr 1849, Washington Yates & Sarah Mileham m 29 May 1848, Andrew Co.
Their ch that we know of were: John Yates, Fred's father, Martha Yates (Ikes or Icke) George and Bud. Aunt Sally cared for them after Della Smith Yates died. Fred was a baby when his mother died. Grandma sent some money to a lawyer in Kansas City to investigate an estate she and her 2 surviving brothers, Nelson and Garner Yates were heirs to. Yrs before my time. Mom thinks it was an uncles land in Jackson Co. Fred lived with my grparents after Aunt Sally died. Mom thinks George and Bud went to Ca. Mom, her sister in St Joseph a bro Pete Cundiff in CA and a cousin Bess Yates Cornell also of St Joe are all of their generation living. Uncle Garner had 2 sons Othello and Wiley Yates. Othello lives in Chetopa, Ks and has ch. Aunt Martha Yates was an Indian but I dont know the tribe. Wiley & Faye were in Ca last I knew. We came west after our ch were out of school in 1955. Now they live in Denver, Bob is 37 in July, Elaine 35 in June, I am 58 in June. (This was written t o me yrs ago, sorry I dont have the date).
111) From Mrs. Mabel Pearson, 245 E. Princeton, Fresno, CA 93705:
These 2 names I send you, Margaret Duren and Anne Kueffe, gr daus of Rebecca Eager, gggrdau of Rebecca Yates Shepherd McDaniel. My fathers ygr sister, Alice Clayton, visited an Uncle John Shepherd in San Jose, about 1923. She & Mr. Clayton lived there for a year or two earlier. Your husbands grandfather, would have been half bro to my grandfather. I wrote to Mabel A. & Lillian A. Sheppard, 1450 Walnut Grove, Av, San Jose, no answer. Rebecca Jane Shepherd b 9 Sept 1857 d 31 Apr 1944 m Charles Lewis Eager, 17 Feb 1876, ch: Anne Lee m Frederick Kueffer. 2-Ethel m Joe T. Hickam, lived Cooper Co. Mo.3-Clarence Levi m Emma Effinger 4-Paul Raymond m Virgie Lee McClanahan
112) 1820 census Lee Co Va: James Shepherd, males und 10-1, 2-10/16, 1-16/18, 2-16/26, 1-45 & up-females: 1 und 10, 1-10/16, 2-16/26, 1-45 & Up
Also a William and Sampson Shepherd & families listed.
113) From Bible of Bethany Shepherd, Lee's Summit, Mo:
Clarinda Wells b 4 July 1825
John W. Shepherd b 9 Feb 1827 Susan Wells b 20 Oct 1829
Oliver B. Shepherd b 25 Nov 1842
O.B. Shepherd and Mary J. Vance m 14 Feb 1860
114) From Lloyd Regan, Prairie Home, Mo 650689: Levi Shepherd son of Rebecca Yates and Elijah Shepherd m Joanna Campbell dau of Bradley & Meka Hall Campbell.
Ch of Levi & Joanna Shepherd:
1-Alice b 27 Sept 1868 d 29 Oct 1948 m Luther Pate m James A. Clayton m George Rector, no issue.
2-James B. b 9 Jan 1856 m 1880 Amanda E. Stone d 1903 m 1916 to Mrs. Maggie L. Mowry Shepherd, ch of this union Addie Lee & Helen Louise
3-Charles M. b 1866 m Hattie May Simms. 1898, ch Mabel Louise Pearson,
4-William L. b 1860 d 1885
5-Chaney Eliz, no other info
6-Dora Addie Wilson
7-Rebecca Jane b 9 Sept 1857 d 31 Mar 1944 m 17 Feb 1876, Charles Lewis Eager b May 1850 d June 1934.
For other Shepherd info contact Jessie Lee Hagan Franklyn, 3689 Summit, Kans City, Mo 64111
115) Levi Shepherd and Joanna Campbell interred Goochs Mill Cemetery. Alice Pate Clayton Rector and James A. Clayton, same. Luther Pate and George Rector, interred Clayton Cemetery, Cooper Co. Mo. James B. Shepherd and Maggie Mowry Shepherd interred Walnut Grove Cemetery, Amanda E. Stone interred Shippley Cemetery, Cooper Co. Mo. Charles M. Shepherd and Hattie May Simms, interred Pilot Grove Cemetery
William L. interred Gooch's Mill Cemetery..
116) From Mrs. I. Rickabaugh, 1305 W Clay St, Ukiah, CA 95482:
Ira Goff Yates b 1821, Lee Co Va. m 15 Aug 1843, Platte Co. Mo.
d 19 June 1899, Lower Lake Co. Ca. son of William and Celia Yates
married Johannah Shepherd b 1823 Lee Co Va d 5 May 1896, Lower Lake Co.
1-William Lewis Yates b 22 Sept 1843, Mo
2=Owen Caulfield Yates b 22 Sept 1846 Andrew Co Mo d 28 Sept 1904, Sonoma Co Ca. m Mary Jane Cummins
3-Rebecca I. b 3 Apr 1849, Andrew Co Mo d 11 Dec 1916, Big Valley, Lake Co Ca. buried Lakeport, Lake Co. Ca. m. Charles Goodwin (2)
4-Enoch b 19 July 1853, Mo m 14 Aug 1879, San Francisco d 3 Nov 1911, Napa Co CA m Mary E. Eakle
5-Lavina A. b 17 Oct 1855 Leavenworth, KS m 10 Jan 1871, d 9 Jan 1919, Lower Lake, Lake Co Ca m A.E. Noel.
6-Susie b 1858 KS m 1 May 1875 Lowery Lake CA d 18 Mar 1935 Lower Lake CA m Frank Simmons
7-Sarah (Sallie) b 1861 m 7 Nov 1881, Lake Co CA Charles H. Gemmill
117) 1900 census Santa Clara Co. CA: Slaght, Edward, 36, Annie 31, Alice, 13, b CA, Orin 6, Eddie 4.
118) Jefferson Mileham age 40 and family
119) John Shepherd, farmer, b 1855 Mo, parents b Mo, Bert M. 18, Viola M. 17, Alie L. son 14, Frank J. 12, Wm.L. 10, Emma Lester servant.
120) 1900 census Clay Co. Mo.:
Elijah Shepherd, (son of Elijah & Rebecca Yates Shepherd) 58, Sarah 49, Charles J. 28, George 15, Ernest 12, Bertha 6.
121) Yates, Jesse 62 b Mo. and family
122) NC William Yates marriages before 1800:
William Yeates-Eliz Miller, Mar 1787, George Carver, Surry Co
William Yeats-Charlotte Whitledge, July 1787, Wm. Griffin, Bertie Co.
123) Oregon Donation Land Claims:
Vol I: McDaniel, Jacob #1590 of Linn Co OR b 1831, Mo. arrived Or prior to 1 Dec 1850; SC 20 Oct 1852 or 1 Mar 1853. Aff: Elisha Padget, James Scrivner, Matthew Fountain, Henry C. Fountain.
Blevens, Alex of Polk Co. OR b 1808 Bourbon Co Ky, SC 1 Sept 1845 m Levina June 1838, Boone Co Mo. Aff: Nathaniel Ford, Elisha McDaniel
124) Goff, David of Polk Co OR b 1796, Bedford Co VA. SC: 15 Oct 1845 m Keziah, Aug 1818, Madison Co Ky. AFF: Nathaniel Ford, Joshua McDaniel (not ours)
125) Miller, Bluford of Marion Co OR b 1830 Clinton Co Mo; d 14 June 1857, SC 1 Sep 1852, I, Bluford Miller commenced residence on my claim 15 Sep 1851 and left 24 Feb 1852 for the Rogue River gold mines and remained there until 22 Mar 1852, returning home, 1 June 1852. Aff: Richard Miller, Andrew Shepherd, John J. Kelly, Wm. M. Cline, Roswell D. Johnson.
Vol IV: Blanton, Wm. of Lane Co OR T18S, R4W, sec 13, 14, 320 ac b Jackson Co Mo. arrived OR 1 Dec 1847, SC 15 Dec 1854, 26 Jan 1855. Aff: Rice Penelton, Samuel Rush. See DC-RB #2014, t18s. R4W, sec 13 favor same party.
126) Shepherd, Uriah of Lane Co OR 18s,R3W, sec 19, 30, 160 ac; b 1830 Washington Co AR, arr OR Nov 1852, SC Nov 1855 Aff: Wm.H. Shepherd, John R. Satterfield, Aug 1867, Wm. Blanton & Richard Rush, aff: Uriah Shepherd abandoned claim prior to July 1856 and is not now a resident of this country, Aug 1867.
127) From Sam McDaniel, Boonville, Mo: I found in an old history of Cooper Co Mo: James B. Shepherd native of Andrew Co Mo. b 9 Jan 1856 son of Levi & Joanna Campbell Shepherd. Levi Shepherd b Jackson Co Mo son of Elijah Shepherd and Rebecca Yates. Elijah to Mo from Ky ca 1810, settled on a tract of land in Jackson Co where he died. His widow moved to cA 1870 d near San Jose. Levi Shepherd b 1832 d 14 May 1914 on his farm in Saline twp. Mrs. & Mrs. Campbell buried in the family cemetery at Wooldridge. Mrs. Shepherd d 1916 buried Gooch's Mill, about 4 mis from Wooldridge.
128) 1850 census Cooper Co Mo:
McDaniel, Joshua age 50 b NC, actually he was older than 50
McDaniel, Rebecca age 39 b VA, Catherine 19 b Mo
Shepherd, William 15 b Mo, Elijah 9, b Mo. Sarah A. 6 b Mo.
McDaniel Joshua age 6 mos b Mo. (this was Dan's grfather).
129) Probate Ct Andew Co Mo. 1965:
Joshua Yates one d 1850, one d 1891, no wills
William Yates one d 1846 one d 1851, no wills
130) From the Liberty Tribune, Liberty, Mo. married on Thurs, April 1st, Mr. William Fore to Mrs. Lou Courtney by Rev Mr. Black of Liberty.
William was the father of Mary Jane Fore McDaniel, mother of Lulu McDaniel Byrne. But that is another book.
Jackson Co Mo marriages:
Abel Yates,-Phoebe Blanton m 11 Apr 1830
William Yates of Anderson m Eliz Cole 17 Mar 1844
131) From Jackson Co Mo. recorders office:
1831, Yates, Levi from Willis Suttrell, A-78
1833, Yates Solomon from John Blanton, etal, B-194
1833, Yates, Solomon from Wm. Koger, B-192 & B-194
132) Index of Grantor Deeds
1832, Yates Wm. et us to John Smith B-3
1832 Yates, Levi et us to Austin Booth B-18
1832, Solomon Yates, etus-John Belcher B-146
1834, Solomon Yates et us to James Savage, C-71
1834, Levi Yates et us to Austin Booth, C-83
1834, Abel Yates et us to Jacob Wells, C-107
1835, Yates, Joshua et us to Otho Hall D-166
1836 Yates Levi et us to Anderson Jones, D-518
1838, Yates, Wm. et us to Jesse Cole, E-534
1852, John W. Yates et us to John Perry S-520
1834, Shepherd, Enoch to Russell Hicks, Jr. C-238
1835, Shepherd, Wm. et us to Elijah Flannery C-313
1835, Elijah Shepherd, et us-Amos McMonigle D-5561
1849, Wm. Shepherd, etal-Jeremiah Johnson C-59
1831-James Wells to Levi Shepherd D-419
133) 1834-Wells, Jonathan B.-to Richard V. Cummins, etal C-65
B-3 from Wm. Yates & Seley Yates, his wife, she signed by mark. land purchased 1829
B-18-Levi Yates & Elix his wife, signed by mark
B-146-Solomon & Rachel Yates, his wife
C-83 Levi & Eliz Yates, his wife, she by mark
C-99 Abel Yates & Phebe his wife, she by mark
C-238, Enoch Shepherd, no wife
C-313, Wm. & Polly his wife, she by mark
D-166 Joshua Yates & Mary his wife
D-561 Elijah Shepherd & Rebecca his wife, both by mark
134) 1860 census of Andrew Co. Mo. Joshua Yates listed elsewhere, this time there is A.J. Milam age 16 female b Mo. living with them.
135) Yates, Mary, 51, b NC, P.A. 19 female, S.P. 13 female, J.R.W. 9 male
136) Andrew Yates, 34 b Mo, M. A. 28 b Mo, W.L. 11, E.M. 9 female, Jas. H. 7, male, Joshua 4, male.
137) 1850 census Gentry Co Mo. Miller twp
Yates, Levi b 1800 NC, Eliz age 45 b Va, Linda? b 1825, VA?
Levi b 1831, age 19 b Mo
Joshua b 1833, age 17 b Mo
Celia A. Yates b 1839, age 11 b Mo.
138) 1850 Holt Co Mo.
Yates, Washington b 1816, age 34 b VA
Rachel, b 1822, age 28 b Mo
Henry age 13
Eliz age 10
Andrew age 8/9
James age 6
Levisha age 2
139) 1850 Andrew co. Mo.
Yates, Hesikill age 26 b VA
Eliz (Pettijohn) age 21 b TN
Mary L. age 2
Mahala, 9 mos.
In 1860 Hesikill was living Douglas co KS, d 12 Nov 1862 m 11 Feb 1846, 5 other ch.
140) 1850 Andrew Co Mo
Joshua Yates b 1828, age 22, Eliz b 1826, age 24, Richard b Dec 1849, 8 mos old
141) 1850 Andrew Co Mo
Solomon Yates b 1802 age 48 b VA
Polly L. (Mary Wells) b 12 Nov 1815, 35, VA
Isaac b 1830, son of 1st wf, age 20 b Mo
Geo Anderson Yates, b 1832, son of 1st wf, age 18
Rachel b 25 May 1835, age 15
Lavina b 12 Apr 1837 age 13
Benj F. b 16 Feb 1839 age 11
Evaline b 22 Apr 1841 age 9
Eliz A b 1843 age 7
Solomon b 1845 age 5
Lucy Ann b 1 Oct 1847 age 4
Samuel b 1849 age 1
142) Solomon Yates Yates b 1802 m 1st Rachel Wells b Lee Co Va d 1834? Jackson Co Mo.
Ch: 1- ? b 1820/25- listed 1830 census
2-Rebecca b 1830, Jackson Co Mo. m Bradford Murry
3-Isaac b 1830 d 1907
4-Geo Anderson b 1832 d 1916 2nd w M.I. Ch by his 1st wf: Fanny b 1853, Hesikiah b 1855 Mollie b 1857, 2nd wf-Rachel b 1860 d Ap 1950 in MT
Solomon Yates m 2nd 9 Sept 1834 Lee Co. Va. Mary Lavina Wells d 25 Apr 1907, Belgrade, MT.
Rachel E. b 1835 d 1910 Belgrade, MT m 1-Geo Miller 2-James M. Sitton
Lavina b 1837, Platte Co MO. m 1-Wm.R. Tribble, m 2-Christopher C. Collins
Benj Franklin b 1839 d 1929 Mt. m Mary Martin
Evaline b 1841 d 1879 m Jacob Miller
Eliz b 1843 d 1850/60
Solomon b 1845 d MT never married
Lucy Ann b 1847 Andrew Co d 1936 MT
m Samuel Miller 1854 Virginia City, MT
Samuel b 1840, Mo. d 1873, never married, drowned in Boulder & Jefferson Rivers
Zachariah b 1853 d 1874 MT never married, killed by Indians
George L. b 1856 d 1935 m Betty Durham
143) A Mo biograph lists William Jeptha Yates b 1847 son of Washington & Seigna Yates.
144) From Mrs. R.V. Pennington, 23017 Schoolcraft St., Canoga Park, CA 91304, 1967: Micajah Pennington's Bible lists a dau, Savey/Sarey b 24 Nov 1776. At the bottom of the list of ch: 16 Apr 1787 Benj. Yeats sat in to work with Micajah Pennington till 18 yrs of age. 15 Sept 1807 James & Edw Pennington sat with me till 18 yrs old. 16 Sept 1779 ordered by the court that the estates of: John Barton, David Smith, Thos Waters, Daniel Manning, Doty Williams, Joshua Yeates, Micajah Pennington be sold at public auction.
145) Tombstone inscriptions of Lee Co Va: Edw Pennington, son of Micajah to Lee Co. Va. Pennington Gap, Va named for him. His dau Susan (Sookie) m Abraham Crissman and to Jackson Co Mo.
146) Caswell Co NC admr bonds 17777/1799, 22 Oct 1798 John Yates, decd, Wm. Yates admr.
147) Wilkes Co NC will bk a-1778/1800
Stephen Yates admr of Wm. Yates, decd, Rowland Judd & Carlton Keeling, securities
1797-Jane Yates age 18 yrs bound to Wm. Adkins
148) 1870 census Lake Co CA
Yates, Ira age 49 b Va, Jane 47 b Va, Enoch 17 Mo, Lavina A. 13 b KS, Susan 11, Ks, Sarah 9, KS
149) Yates, C.C. 24 b Mo. Mary 20
150) Yates A.J. 44, b Mo, W.L. 21 b Mo, M.E. 18, Mo. R.J. 14, KS, E. 9 female b Mo, G. 5 female CO
151) Andrew Co Court house, rec of Deeds office:
Yates, W.M. to Joel Blanton 1844
Yates, Joshua to Adelma Singley, mtg 1850
Yates Solomon & wf to Rebecca McDaniel 1855, Mary wf of Solomon
Yates, William from R. Pettijohn, 1850
Yates, Joshua from John McDaniel & wf 1850
Yates, Wm. heirs of--from Geo Parman 1853, Geo Parman & wife of Gentry Co. Mo.
Yates, Elis from David Milehan, 1857
152) Probate Ct Andrew Co Mo. Yates, Joshua, 1846, petition to sell slaves 1860 to be dist. following heirs of Joshua Yates, decd, by Mary, widow of Joshua. Heirs: Wm. Shepherd & Mary Ann wf, Julia Ann, Serilda Jane, James R.W. last 2 under 21, Mary gdn, note on John Allen. Joshua & John McDaniel owed the estate. buyers: Samuel Allen, Joshua Yates Jr, Wm. Combest, Enock George, Jeptha Yates. Notes held on: James Allen, made 1849, Jacobn Milehan, James Howard, Ransom Russell, James Dougherty and Samuel Allen were sureties for Mary Yates.
153) Yates, William, 1846 inv. Joshua Yates, admr signed by Joshua & Ira Yates, William late of Andrew Co dated 1845. Those who owed estate: Ira, G.W., Solomon, Abel, Elihu, Levi, Joshua Y. A.J. Yates, Nancy Blanton, Rebecca Shepherd
Rebecca bprrpwed $10.75 in Jan 1846 for 12 mos. Jackson Yates has paid, Heskiel Yates, paid.
154) Wm. Yates, apptd Judge at National Election in Blue 1828, JP 1828, Joshua Yates also voter 1828 from Blue twp.
155) The following from H. Mauldin, historian, Rt 1, Box 863, Lakeport, CA 95453:
1883/4, Ira A. Yates, Coroner & Public Admr.
Lakeport Lodge no. 34 A.O.U.W. organized May 1878 by Enock Yates.
1913/4 Howard Springs owned by W.J. Laymance-R.J. Yates, lessee (this is where Dan;s parents, Thomas Byrne and Lulu McDaniel, met and later married).
Lon Yates gatekeeper toll house on the Wagner Place, ca 1890
Yates, Ira G. b Lee Co Va. 15 Mar 1821, to Mo. 1855 to Ks, wife & 4 ch, to CA 1870 Lake Co. Ca. For past 7 yrs held office of Constable of Lower Lake twp & Deputy Sheriff 2 yrs, married
25 May 1842, Johanna Shepherd.
1915-1917 Robt J. Yates, postmaster
Lakeport Directory, Enock Yates, Liquors, 1884-5
Alonzo E. Noel b 1832, 1873 elected Dist Atty of Lake Co. his wife Lavina A. Yates, m 1 Jan 1871. 4 ch: Frank, Charles, Willie and one decd. They owned Lower Lake Bulletin, newspaper, oldest in the county.
156) DAR Patriot Index:
Wm. Yates, Sr. b 1727 d 1808 m Mary--pvt NC
Wm. b 1745/50 d 2 Dec 1789 m 1-Ann Isham Poythress 2-Eliz Booth, Lt. Col VA.
157) Andrew Co Mo Marriages:
Among justices who performed marriages Enock Shepherd, J.P.
1852, Wyatt Combest-Mary Shepherd
1847-Joshuay McDaniel-Rebeckah Shepherd, 10 Nov
Allen Holt-Henryetta Yates, 1851]
George Miller-Rachael Yates 25 Sept 1851
David F. Millihan-Missouri Finette Ann Shepherd of Nodaway Co 1855
Bradford Murry-Rebecca yates, 1845
Hugh Shepherd-F. Brown 1847
Nimrod Shepherd- Sally Ann Combest, 1845
William Tribble-Lavina Yates, 1855
Stephen Wells-Eliz Shepherd, 1843
Abel Yates-Mrs. China Myers, 1843'
Hiskiel Yates-Eliz Pettyjohn, 1847
Isaax Yates- Ellen Holt-1851
Jackson Yates-Mary Pettyjohn, 1846
Joshua Yates-Eliz Milham 1849
Washington Yates- Sarah Milham 1848
William Yates-Henrietta E. Farris 1845
Thomas Yeats-Rebecca Bowman, 1844
Lists settlers in Andrew Co early date: William Yates, Jonathan Farles, Andrew & Jacob Shepherd, Mrs. Wells, Samuel Allen, Bird Allen, John McDaniel, Washington Yates, Solomon Yates, Enoch Shepherd, Nimrod Shepherd, Ryal Allen. The Allen's were relatives of Elizabeth Allen wife of William Manson Fore and grmother of Lulu McDaniel Byrne.
158) From the great register of voters of Lake Co CA:
1892-Ira Goff Yates, age 71, b VA, Lower Lake
Alonzo Yates, age 35 b Mo, Kelseyville
Peter Ryker Yates, age 55 b IN
159) 1896-Ira Goff Yates, age 75, 5 ft 8 1/4 in, light skin, black eyes, gray hair, b VA
Alonzo Yates, age 40, 5 ft 10 1/2 in, logger, light, blue, brown b Mo. Kelseyville
160) In 1900 Alonzo Yates is still listed.
161) Chart of Kay Winifred Zysett b 4 Feb 1936 Cottage Grove, OR m 27 Oct 1956 t0 Barrett. Kays Mother was Genevieve Gertrude Rickabaugh b 21 July 1905, Kelseyville, CA. Genevieve's mother was Alice Marie Yates b 18 Jan 1875, Lower Lake, CA d 15 July 1939, Lake Co. Alice was dau of Owen C. Yates b 22 Sept 1846, Mo d 28 Sept 1904, perhaps Lake Co. Owen m Mary Jane Cummings b 19 Jan 1849 Mo d 13 Oct 1888.
Kay m Frank Lawrence Barrett b 1936, Florence, OR. Kay's father was Vern Zysett b 1903 Jefferson, OR m 1935. A couple of years ago I heard from Kay again, she has gotten a divorce but was still living in OR.
162) Chart of Owen C. Yates b 22 Sept 1846 teamster, then farmer in Lake Co Ca. d 28 Sept 1904, wife Mary Jane Cummings b 19 Jan 1849 Mo d 1888. ch: 1-Alice Marie b 18 Jan 1875, Lower Lake d 15 July 1939 Kelseyville, Ca. m Wm. Douglas Rickabaugh, 11 Jan 1894, Kelseyville. 2-Jimmie b May 1871 3-William C. b Mar 1873 4-Lilburn E. b Apr 1877 5-Gertrude b Nov 1883, Napa, Ca. m James H. Graser, Nov 1905.
163) From Oak Hill Memorial Park, Box 224, San Jose, CA.: The following persons interred in Lot 1, Box 77, Section I owned by James Shepherd: Rebecca McDaniel b VA passed away age 74, 23 Feb 1885 Mary Shepherd b Mo passed away 21 Nov 1882 age 24 yrs 9 mos James Shepherd aged 55 b Mo, passed away 30 July 1889 F.L. Shepherd, female, b Mo, passed away 24 Dec 1884.
164) The Border Outlaws by J.W. Buel, 1881, mentions George Shepherd with Quantrell on the raid in Lawrence, KS. Among the bandits involved in the Bank Robbery at Liberty, Mo. was Oliver Shepherd. Oliver was killed by a Sheriff's posse upon entering Jackson Co. They divided their money with their poorest relatives in Nelson Co Ky. Among the James gans was Charlie Pitts whose real name Wells. A nephew of Geo Shepherd, Ike Flannery recd $5000 from his decd father, went with Jesse James and Jim Anderson. Flannery found dead near Glasgow, Mo, the money gone. A year later Shepherd found Jim Anderson in Sherman, TX. Before receiving the fatal stroke he told Shepherd, Jesse was the one who proposed the murder. Shepherd cut Anderson's throat. These Shepherd's were related to Rebecca's husband, Elijah Shepherd.
165) 1860 census of Andrew Co Mo. McDaniel, Rebecca age 49, female b Va had $500 Shepherd, Elijah, age 19, b Mo McDaniel, J.E. ae 10 male b Mo. This was Joshua McDaniel, C.C. age 8 male b Mo. This was Charles
166) Martha Lulu McDaniel was b 17 March 1886, Evergreen or Coyote, CA in Santa Clara Co. Ca. She taught school before her marriage to Thomas Byrne who was a member of the San Francisco Police Force. They met at Howards Rest in Lake Co. Ca. She was with her father, Thomas with another police officer, named Robert Yates. They were married 1914. Ch: 1-Mary Frances Byrne b 26 Mar 1916 m 25 Nov 1938 at Star of the Sea Catholic Church, San Francisco to Bernard Corrigan b 24 Sept 1913, son of Eugene Corrigan & Emma Clark. Two aus: Patricia Ellen b 4 July 1941 Bernadette Jean b 28 Aug 1943
167) Daniel Thomas Byrne b 8 Dec 1919, San Francisco m 4 July 1942 Ellen Almeda Flesher b 16 Nov 1924, Rogers Co Ok. Ch: Linda Lou Byrne b 14 Apr 1947, San Francisco Daniel Thomas Byrne Jr b 5 Mar 1949. San Francisco Michael Kevin Byrne b 28 Feb 1957, Mill Valley, CA
168) Joseph Joshua Byrne b 16 Mar 1921, San Francisco m 1942, Naomi Denison b 14 Jan 1921, Visali, Ca. 4 ch: Noel Thomas Byrne b 11 May 1943 Paula Jo Byrne b 29 Sep 1946 m Joseph Cox lives Healdsburg, CA Rita Marie Byrne b 9 Apr 1952, m Ali Bhatti, lives Redding, Ca (1997) Thomas Joseph Byrne b 7 Oct 1954, lives Redding, CA
169) John Allen Byrne b 28 May 1923, San Francisco, m 1-Anmarie Roache. m 2-Bernice 25 Aug 1950, one child: Stephen Byrne b 15 Apr 1953.
18:32, 1 December 2014 (EST)18:32, 1 December 2014 (EST)18:32, 1 December 2014 (EST)18:32, 1 December 2014 (EST)18:32, 1 December 2014 (EST)18:32, 1 December 2014 (EST)18:32, 1 December 2014 (EST)18:32, 1 December 2014 (EST)18:32, 1 December 2014 (EST)18:32, 1 December 2014 (EST)18:32, 1 December 2014 (EST)18:32, 1 December 2014 (EST)18:32, 1 December 2014 (EST)18:32, 1 December 2014 (EST)~~
Have you taken a DNA test? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Ancestry DNA.