upload image

Glanmorgan Township, Ontario

Privacy Level: Open (White)
Date: [unknown] [unknown]
Location: [unknown]
Surnames/tags: Ontario Canada
This page has been accessed 122 times.

Glamorgan Township, surveyed in 1862, settled in 1870 and incorporated in 1881 also placed in Peterborough County in 1858 then joined with Snowdon Township in 1863 and then joined Glamorgan Cardiff and Monmouth Township in 1874, Victoria County bylaw 65 March 24th 1874. In 1877 dissolved into Cardiff Township and Glamorgan and Monmouth Township, Haliburton County bylaw 41 July 2th 1877, after this Glamorgan was on its own in 1880 Haliburton bylaw 63 June 29th, 1880 effective December 31st. 1880 . Was named after the Welsh Prince, Gwald Morgan. First into the township were the lumbermen, followed by homesteaders who settled along the Burnt River, Monck Road, or Buckhorn Road.

The 1871 Peterborough County Directory notes that it was not settled at this time. Bordered by Snowden Township on the West Dysart Township on the North, Monmouth township on the East and on the south Cavendish Township. The village of Gooderham was established at the junction of Monck Road and Buckhorn Road, on the shores of Pine Lake. This place was first called Pine Lake. The name was changed to Gooderham in 1873, The origin of the name Gooderham is not known for sure although it is likely that it was named after a member of the distillery-owning Gooderham family donated money for a local church. In any case, it was called Gooderham by the time the first post office was established in 1873. The first postmaster Charles Way was the first to settle there. "The settlement of Glamorgan commenced about the year 1869 or 1870, on the opening of the Monk Road as a colonization road by the Provincial Government. Among the first settlers were Mr. W.F. Ritchie, Samuel Wiley of the famed Wiley’s Hill on the Bobcaygeon Road, Thomas White, Charles Way and Samuel Whittaker.

The townships of Lutterworth, Anson and Hindon were annexed to Victoria in 1858, while Snowdon, Minden, Stanhope, Guilford, Dysart, Glamorgan, Monmouth, Dudley, Harburn, Bruton, Harcourt and Cardiff became townships of Peterborough County. This was the first of many separations and amalgamations between townships in Haliburton, Peterborough and Victoria Counties. Three townships from Victoria county and twenty from northern Peterborough county joined together to form the Provisional County of Haliburton. On December 16, 1982, the Haliburton County Act passed provincial legislation to instate Haliburton as a full fledged county. Highlands East is a township located in Haliburton County, Ontario, Canada. The township was incorporated in 2001, through the amalgamation of the former townships of Bicroft, Cardiff, Glamorgan and Monmouth. Cardiff, Monmouth and Glamorgan were a single Township in 1874. In the Township of Monmouth settlement commenced about the same date as in Glamorgan, and foremost among the early settlers must be mentioned the Ritchie family. So early as 1862 several settlers found their way into the Township of Cardiff. Among them were Mr. Armstrong, Mr. George Patterson and Mr. Joseph Dunlop. It would appear that the North-West boom did not have an impact on the settlement of the United Townships.



This is an "orphaned" profile — there's no Profile Manager to watch over it. Please adopt this profile.


Collaboration
  • Login to edit this profile and add images.
  • Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)


Comments

Leave a message for others who see this profile.
There are no comments yet.
Login to post a comment.